Short Cervix?

autumnx

Reaction score
At 21 weeks, my cervix was 3.9cm. At my 25 week check, it was 2.66cm. Both Perinatologist and OB didn't like that it went down a cm+ in that amount of time. They're rechecking at 28 weeks. However, what does this really mean? Could my cervix stay here or improve? Will I have to go to the hospital for this? The only "symptoms" I have is a heaviness, some cramping (not contractions), and a back ache. I'm not sure if these are related or what to expect.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this darling :hugs:
It's good that they're monitoring you. It could stay the same or improve but if it continues it could result in preterm labour. Get plenty of rest and please (I know it will be hard xox) try and not stress over it. If you feel like anything is wrong, go back. In this day and age there is so much they can do to ensure your LO is ok. Don't push yourself and try to relax xo I've seen women on here that have the same issue and everything turns out fine

I agree with tinymumma, try to rest as much as possible and don't do anything strenuous. It really could go either way, your cervix might be up and down (dynamic) or it might be shortening. Statistically women whose cervixes shorten early on will give birth earlier, but as with everything that's not always the case. If your cervix does shorten more they may put you on bedrest either at home or in the hospital in order to help keep your little one in there as long as possible. There's a website called "keep em cookin" that has some great info about preterm labour. It sounds like you're in great hands with your doctors and I'm sure everything will work out fine!

Mine has gone from 3.8cm to 3cm in 4 weeks and I have now been put on progesterone pessaries to stop it shortening more. My OB has said that if it goes to 2.5cm or less by 28 weeks, then probably bed rest. He thinks I will probably go into labour early

Hi Hun,
I've had experience of this in this pregnancy. I was measuring 4cm+ at 14 weeks and 25mm by 16 weeks - I was put on progesterone pessaries straight away and I rested as much as possible - feet up and preferably in a lying position instead of sitting if you know what I mean. I still went to work as I have a desk job, but did very little else besides - DH was amazing.

Week on week measurements improved (except for 17 weeks when it dropped slightly to 24mm) and I'm now at 27 weeks and will be on pessaries until 34 weeks.

The other option is to have a cerclage or cervical stitch placed which will strength the cervix. It will be removed prior to labour. In the UK, the optimum measurement to have this done is between 15 and 25mm.

Please please if you have any increase in severity of symptoms get checked out - heaviness and increase in discharge and I think also niggly back pain are signs to keep a close eye on.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->