Should formula milk be supplied in hospitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if something happens to the mum and its needed. (probably a lot of reasons there) but you should buy your own. Here now you dont get free formula you have to go to a room and make your own bottles up. I didnt find it helpful being forced free formula by a woman with a trolley who really wanted me to take some "just in case". I think the nhs should support breastfeeding more and giving free formula isnt supporting breastfeeding.

Babies in hospital aren't considered as patients, unless they are admitted for treatment. That's why there is no more responsibility on hospitals to feed them, than there is to feed your visitors.

Rarely does someone have nobody to go out and buy formula, rarely is there not a 24hr store nearby. If OH goes home and after that LO needs formula, OH goes back in with it.

Yes it should be available. The mothers who chose to ff before birth could be advised to pack it in their hospital bags but if they dont then there has to be available formula for all newborns. In the paediatric nhs hospital I worked at, there was formula on every ward, not only for newborns but also for the older babies. Just like they served food for the older kids :shrug:

In my hospital there was a vending machine with cartons of formula. I think that was a good way to go about it.

Thats a really good way of doing it.

I think they should just provide it in emergencies. Well actually I think they ought to do like they did in my hospital and provide donor milk instead but obviously if there's not enough donor milk that wouldn't work (plenty here)

It's interesting to read these responses, because hospitals in the US are set up so differently! They provide everything - diapers, clothes for baby, pacifiers, stuff for mom (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, nipple guards, the list goes on) so I wouldn't see formula as being any different.

It's interesting to read these responses, because hospitals in the US are set up so differently! They provide everything - diapers, clothes for baby, pacifiers, stuff for mom (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, nipple guards, the list goes on) so I wouldn't see formula as being any different.

wow you get nothing here, defo not all your toiletries. My hospital bag is over packed and cant close it from all that stuff. You dont get anything there but a meal for yourself and a woman from bounty hounding you.

It's like that here too...you can get anything you need from the hospital! Moms only pack their own clothes and one outfit to bring baby home when they leave.

wow you get nothing here, defo not all your toiletries. My hospital bag is over packed and cant close it from all that stuff. You dont get anything there but a meal for yourself and a woman from bounty hounding you.
Aye, but we also don't get an invoice at the end of it to pay or send to our Insurance company - with these things no doubt marked up significantly in price.

This is not to say the NHS is a better system, just that there isn't really much point in comparing them.

As for hospital bags. Never got to that stage myself, but when I see lists and lists of what first time mums are advised to pack in them, I do wonder how much of it goes home unused.

Yes it should be available. The mothers who chose to ff before birth could be advised to pack it in their hospital bags but if they dont then there has to be available formula for all newborns. In the paediatric nhs hospital I worked at, there was formula on every ward, not only for newborns but also for the older babies. Just like they served food for the older kids :shrug:
paediatric is a bit different. Babies and children are admitted as patients so of course food should be provided.

Aye, but we also don't get an invoice at the end of it to pay or send to our Insurance company - with these things no doubt marked up significantly in price.

This is not to say the NHS is a better system, just that there isn't really much point in comparing them.

As for hospital bags. Never got to that stage myself, but when I see lists and lists of what first time mums are advised to pack in them, I do wonder how much of it goes home unused.
Indeed if I was paying too I would expect all that to be included.

I use the stuff in my bag, not all like in one go but its used when I get home. Like shampoos and all wont go to waste. And excuse to get new slippers and pjs.

I used barely anything I had in my bag and actually forgot all the stuff that would have been good to have. So hoping I get a home birth this time to be doing without all that stuff.

totally interested to know whats in your bag that you dont use?

I was only in hospital for a matter of hours, only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I gave birth middle of the night. I had a massive luggage bag filled with stuff, nipple pads and cream I didn't use as I didn't dribble as obviously milk wasn't through yet and it took at least a day before my nipples hurt, I took a bunch of nighties fr birthing but only needed one, took a variety of baby clothes only needed one outfit, took shampoo etc but I just wanted to get home to wash my hair (had a bath). Just lots of stuff like that really. Tens I didn't have time to use. But I forgot to take stuff to read with all the hanging around you do waiting for people, and bloody knickers that fit me properly, that was a big mistake! Tbh it was more the nature of my labour that changed what I needed in the bag rather than the bag itself.

In my hospital there was a vending machine with cartons of formula. I think that was a good way to go about it.

I think they should just provide it in emergencies. Well actually I think they ought to do like they did in my hospital and provide donor milk instead but obviously if there's not enough donor milk that wouldn't work (plenty here)

Thats fantastic!!

Thats fantastic!!

Yeah it really is wonderful. Maria had quite a few bottles of it as I was having trouble establishing breastfeeding and I was so grateful.

I think they shouldn't provide it, however there needs to be so regulation/thought on the behalf of the mw's/hcp's. I've talked about it before on here, that the hospital I had KB at (just over five years ago) didn't provide milk and a girl who had an emergency section was standing trying to sterilise the bottles etc about five hours after surgery, she was in agony bless her as it was a walk to the sterilising room, standing to clean, sterilise and make up bottles. I don't think that is very fair.

TBH though there should be no need for sterilising when theres premade facilities out there ykwim.
the idea of sterilising on a ward sounds like a nightmare

Our system isn't perfect, that's for sure! Thankfully I have very good insurance and only payed around $200.00 for my entire stay. I wasn't necessarily comparing, per se, just remarking at how interesting the differences are.

TBH id take my own in and refuse hospital stuff, its my choice and my responsibility to feed my child.

TBH though there should be no need for sterilising when theres premade facilities out there ykwim.
the idea of sterilising on a ward sounds like a nightmare

I would assume a lot of mums would bring their own in, premade cartons but may only find this out when they get to the ward . This is a new thing to here as my doula has told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"