Should formula milk be supplied in hospitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of vending machines (and of course, donor milk banks).

TBH though there should be no need for sterilising when theres premade facilities out there ykwim.
the idea of sterilising on a ward sounds like a nightmare

This was five years ago though, so the glass bottles weren't nearly as readily available to buy as they are now. In fact it was a right faff finding them and at that time only SMA sold them in shops. Different now I know. My babies have never got on with those plastic pre-sterilised bottles and adding cartons, the milk always came out way too fast for them when they were tiny. Plus any period of time and then it becomes expensive so I guess for some people it isn't an option.

Yep agree with that Kala, that is the easy option IMO x

Like Kala's suggestion

Babies in hospital aren't considered as patients, unless they are admitted for treatment. That's why there is no more responsibility on hospitals to feed them, than there is to feed your visitors

so, the babies are allowed to leave right away after birth and they don't have to stay? that's interesting - here the moms and babies usually both have to stay until both mom and baby have been cleared, which is usually 2 days, or longer for c-sections.

I've talked about it before on here, that the hospital I had KB at (just over five years ago) didn't provide milk and a girl who had an emergency section was standing trying to sterilise the bottles etc about five hours after surgery, she was in agony bless her as it was a walk to the sterilising room, standing to clean, sterilise and make up bottles. I don't think that is very fair.

that's horrible!!! poor woman! :growlmad:

Babies in hospital aren't considered as patients, unless they are admitted for treatment. That's why there is no more responsibility on hospitals to feed them, than there is to feed your visitors

so, the babies are allowed to leave right away after birth and they don't have to stay? that's interesting - here the moms and babies usually both have to stay until both mom and baby have been cleared, which is usually 2 days, or longer for c-sections.

Technically, yep! It can only take hours to be cleared to go home.

To be honest though, think about home births - its not like someones handing over a bottle of formula given by the hospital. You have to provide it then if you choose to do so

I've talked about it before on here, that the hospital I had KB at (just over five years ago) didn't provide milk and a girl who had an emergency section was standing trying to sterilise the bottles etc about five hours after surgery, she was in agony bless her as it was a walk to the sterilising room, standing to clean, sterilise and make up bottles. I don't think that is very fair.

that's horrible!!! poor woman! :growlmad:

I know how that feels they wouldn't help me after my c section either so I ended up breastfeeding as getting up to pee (and I ended up peeing the bed) was a lot easier. I begged them to take my son while I struggled to get up and they refused. Horrible they where to me. Horrible labour that had my muscles sore and I couldnt even breath right or walk. :nope:

Well, they have to wait until an adult takes them home, they can't leave by themselves :rofl:

Some mums go home within 6 hours of the birth, especially if it is a straightforward birth. Most hospitals allow a maximum of 3 days (or 7 for a c-section) I don't suppose it happens much but if mum is staying in for 7 days, dad could take baby home as soon as they are passed as fit. Even if the mum is in for 7 days, the baby won't receive any treatment or checks etc beyond the usual ones after the birth. They aren't admitted as patients with patient records etc.

I think they should have it in special circumstances. I never dreamed of having to use formula but I was completely out of it for 24 hours after his birth and I'm sure they fed him formula in the nicu as I couldn't pump for almost 2 days. Gosh, I'm having a hard time remembering how little he was. He's completely different!

But I totally see how if someone was planning on formula feeding that they should bring it in.

if uv forgot ff or bf isnt working then i think hospitals have a duty to give u formula.

if we are talking about choices-how about the choice to eat too much a be fat or the choice to smoke to lead to complications.

Or the choice of an epidural(not resulting in a csection), gas and air ect............

why should a women had a choice to ff be punished if she forgot ff

if ur talking about 'cost' me NOT having pain relief saved the nhs money............... far more money than a bottle of formula would cost.

If you've made the choice for FF, something which you've no doubt decided on in advance, I actually think its then very irresponsible as future parents to 'forget' to take your baby's food into hospital.

In that instance, I would say the NHS should supply 1 feed only and your partner sent away immediately to get your baby's food.

Forgetting is not a good enough reason.

If you've made the choice for FF, something which you've no doubt decided on in advance, I actually think its then very irresponsible as future parents to 'forget' to take your baby's food into hospital.

In that instance, I would say the NHS should supply 1 feed only and your partner sent away immediately to get your baby's food.

Ok so i was set on bf. my daughter wouldnt latch. i had no choice but to give her lil formula. after an exhausting labour i had to wait ALL night for dh to come in morning with a lil formula.

the vast majority chose to bf, but doesnt always work out!

Choosing to breastfeed and not having access to formula, is different than choosing to formula feed and not having it :dohh: :dohh:

If your NHS trust is unfortunately not giving adequate support to make breastfeeding successful (remember only less than 1% truly CAN'T breastfeed) then I say the same, 1 bottle supplied and your partner sent away for food if you've chosen to make the switch.

The NHS shouldn't be funding the formula, they should have some for clear emergencies of course, but they should be supplying LC consultants to those who really wish to be successful at breastfeeding, but they shouldn't be obliged to supply it to someone who's chosen to FF but *whoops* forgot baby's food.

Ok so i was set on bf. my daughter wouldnt latch. i had no choice but to give her lil formula. after an exhausting labour i had to wait ALL night for dh to come in morning with a lil formula.

the vast majority chose to bf, but doesnt always work out!

No hospital would or should refuse to feed a newborn but ultimately its the parents responsibility. Your situation is not comparible to one where ff is the choice from the get go.

I can't imagine much money would actually be wasted by the hospitals providing formula-- most companies are chomping at the bits to provide free 'samples'. We were ushered out the hospital doors with 2 weeks worth of the ready-made good start formula and were met in the hospital parking lot by a woman who gave me several days' worth of a different brand as I was nursing DS in the car before the long drive home. And we were bf. I can only imagine how much free stuff they'll give you if they think you're ff.

How it would affect bf rates is another issue-- if it does, I think it shouldn't be provided. It saves the NHS tons of money when bf rates are higher-- more than the cost of providing pumps and IBCLCs at any rate.

I can't imagine much money would actually be wasted by the hospitals providing formula-- most companies are chomping at the bits to provide free 'samples'. We were ushered out the hospital doors with 2 weeks worth of the ready-made good start formula and were met in the hospital parking lot by a woman who gave me several days' worth of a different brand as I was nursing DS in the car before the long drive home. And we were bf. I can only imagine how much free stuff they'll give you if they think you're ff.

None of that is allowed here. Hospitals couldnt accept free samples even if companies were allowed to give them. Anything seen as advertising formula is banned here

I think they should have it in special circumstances. I never dreamed of having to use formula but I was completely out of it for 24 hours after his birth and I'm sure they fed him formula in the nicu as I couldn't pump for almost 2 days. Gosh, I'm having a hard time remembering how little he was. He's completely different!

But I totally see how if someone was planning on formula feeding that they should bring it in.

NNICU is a different situation as babies there are patients and yes, they will formula feed if no milk is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"