Should I ask for a sweep?

MrsWhite

Reaction score
I am 39 weeks and tomorrow I have my appointment. Last time I was checked (last Monday) I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, I keep getting false labor, which is painful and also difficult because now I can't work (and wasting maternity leave on waiting on baby). The false labor seems to happen every other day and last for several hours but then peters out. My problem is my husband works a 30 minute drive away and I also have to call on people to watch my son should I go into labor. So this start/stop labor has started a few false alarms. Anyways, I'm just in a lot of pain (back/hip pain mostly) and am just anxious to be done. I am thinking of asking my midwife to do a sweep tomorrow, just wondering what your experiences are, do you think she will do it, and does it work to bring on labor? I feel like I am just soooo close but my body just needs that extra push. With my son my water broke and I still never went into labor on my own, had to be induced.

I asked at 37 week appt. if I could get a sweep towards the end and the Dr. said yeah that I could get one at 39 weeks. So I plan on definitely getting one because it helped last time. Hope they will offer you one since you are soo close. <3

How long after your sweep did you have your baby last time, or when did labor start?

I had baby after 3days. And with one of my daughters I had a sweep and was in labor within hours. So it could happen fast or take a little time, but it works!

Even three days isn't bad- at least it's light at the end of the tunnel! It would be nice at least knowing it was a few days away or less!

It only works if your body is ready and just needs the final push. I had one at 39 weeks and was still induced at 40 for medical reasons. But its worth a shot!

Agree with above, if your body isnt ready it wont work.
I had a sweep at 40+3, 41, 41+2 then a induction at 41+5 & another induction on the morning od 42 weeks then had my waters broke later that day.
He was a stubburn thing and wanted to stay where he was but after having my waters broke he was in my arms less then 2 hours later.

It depends on individual mw's / policies when they will do a sweep. Im 39+6 tomorrow and my mw said i 'might' be able to bribe her but their policy is 41 weeks when its not your first!

I had a sweep last time at 40+1 (second baby but different mw) waters went at 40+4 but that mw had said if it was going to work it would have done within 24 hours so i don't know when you can put it down to the sweep or just coincidence.

Well she gladly tried to do the sweep. I am still only 1 cm so she could only get one finger in and said she tried but it would have been better if she could get two fingers in. We will see if it does anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->