Should I buy feeding pillow and pump?

Nectar

Mum of one
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm 32 weeks preg and working through my list of things to buy for my first baby.

I'm getting lots of mixed opinions from friends and family about whether a feeding pillow is useful/necessary. Some swear by their feeding pillow, others just use any old pillow/cushion. Thoughts?

Also, can't decide if I should buy a pump before the baby is born. I'm not planning on going back to work for a while so I'm guessing I shouldn't bother buying one til I know whether I'll be expressing??

Thanks for any advice!

Hey Hun I'm on day 8 and just expressed for the first time...

A pump isn't just for saving milk... The first day I fed my breast on the left was full and huge coz bubs only fed from the right so i needed to pump to let it down.. Also if u get mastitis pumping helps ..... I am starting a stash incase something or an emergency ... I don't plan to use it if i can avoid it but its handy to have...

So yes I'd buy a pump... Just a hand held one to start ... They're not very expensive.

Pillow not so much... But I had no problems latching so bubs was happy to be in a football hold under my arm on a normal pillow and then just me holding him for the other boob...
The pillows were over $60 here and I couldn't justify it if I wasn't gonna use it ... I left it as a "dh will run to the store and buy it If I need it" item. Lol

Oh also I didn't wanna become dependant on a bf pillow coz I CBF carrying it everywhere if I became dependant on it ...

I have a doubled electric pump my insurance company paid for and I've only used it twice! I'd rather express then pump since I'm a sahm, but honestly I'd rather just bf, less work, no clean up, and I'm sore from thrush. I use pillows and blankets to position baby, read so many mixed reviews of bf pillows and didnt want to waste money. Hth

I am on day 10, how is it going for you, is he sleeping well and not on you?

We love our breastfeeding pillow! Lo sleeps on it, started tummy time on it, now sits propped up in it and of course nurses on it. I definitely think it was a good buy for me anyways :)

Hey Hun... We're u talkin to me?

Were doing well... He's quite happy to sleep anywhere tbh ... In my arms.. On his dad in his basket ...he's a very relaxed baby ... I think we've been really lucky

Breastfeeding pillows have been a lifesaver for me. My daughter is over a year old and I still use the My Brest Friend pillow when I nurse her before bed every night.

I agree that it may be a good idea to hold off on buying a pump until you know whether you'll be expressing. I spent a lot of money on a really nice one and I've barely used it.

I loved my pillow when starting out, LO had a lot of difficulty breastfeeding and it was a lifesaver, but....we did become dependent on it. I had to take it out everytime I went out. When out I had to go to the car and nurse to use the pillow. It wasn't all that bad, it was nice to have consistency.

Anyway I now prefer it without. I get more skin-to-skin contact or more-so body-to-body contact. My boobs hang really low though, he can literally lay in my lap with my arm under his head and the height is perfect, with the pillow my boobies had to straighten out!

I recommend a pillow if you have any kind of "issues" breastfeeding. It lets you focus on the feeding and not the holding/balancing. Now I prefer a couch pillow or no pillow...

We used our nursing pillow up until a month ago, so over a year. It was only about $30 as well, so beyond worth it. I found it to be especially great in the early clusterfeeding days, it positioned her so that I could have both hands free. And also just pick her up on the pillow easily if I needed to go to a different room ( aka go pee while still feeding her ;)).

I'd hold off on the pump until you feel like you need it, though.

The pump was essential for me, but I had to exclusively pump to bring in my supply. I got engorged (mildly) a couple of times and having the pump was AWESOME, but in that case, a inexpensive manual pump would work great.

I have to go back to work, so powerful double electric it is!

I wouldn't bother buying either unless you find you want one once LO has arrived. I never found the BF pillow we had (think it's a Widgey one) particularly comfortable, I am much more comfortable resting LO's body on my lap and putting a normal sofa cushion under my arm at her head end. It's been easy to improvise with a folded coat or something when out too, although I don't really need to, it's just more comfortable if it's a long feed.

I wouldn't buy a pump either because you might never have a need of it. If you are painfully engorged you can hand express a little bit if needed, it doesn't take much and you really don't want to express much if you're wanting your supply to match what your LO is actually taking. If you occasionally want a few ounces as backup, it's easy enough to hand express that. I imagine if you were expressing regularly a pump would be easier, if a pump works for you, but it would have been a total waste of money for me. I got a free hand pump through some offer when I was pregnant but gave it away when LO was a few months old as it was collecting dust.

If you do find that you want either a pillow or a pump you can probably have one at your door the next day by ordering online, so I would wait for anything that isn't essential.

Hey Hun... We're u talkin to me?

Were doing well... He's quite happy to sleep anywhere tbh ... In my arms.. On his dad in his basket ...he's a very relaxed baby ... I think we've been really lucky

Wow, yes. Our baby is relaxed as long as sleeping on me. He despises anything else for sleep. When he is awake...relaxed and cooing...just won't sleep away from me.

I will be returning to work and will have to pump. Right now, I plan on pumping one breast once a day to try to get my hubby to bottle feed once a day when he gets home from work, so I can get two hours of sleep in a day as I have other children.

I just pumped for the first time today. My insurance covered all but 20%, but doctor had to prescribe after baby was born and I had to buy at medical supply store.

I have a boppy pillow and me and baby love it. I heard they depend on your height and torso. I have a mid torso 5 ft 7 in and fits perfectly, but my shorter friends bobby barely fits under them so doesnt work. I use bobby in rocking chair and pillows or blankets on couch.

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to respond, ladies! Still seems like there are mixed opinions but I value hearing all your experiences. I guess I could send DH to the store within the first few days if I decide I need a pump and/or pillow. So maybe I should just hold off for now. I'm sure lots of you know what it's like when you just want to get everything ready for baby!

I have a three hour BF class coming up in about four weeks. Did any of you do a BF class? Useful?

I bought a nursing pillow and it still has tags on it. I just used regular pillows and they worked just fine.

I just bought a manual pump the other day and haven't used it yet. I don't NEED it, I just want to get DD used to taking the very occasional bottle. I am not going back to work until she is a year old so no real need to pump.

So in my opinion, you don't need either!

Thanks RomaTomato - what a gorgeous little girl you have there!

I have no idea what I'd do without my boppy, I have 2! Feeding isn't impossible without it, but it makes it much more comfortable for me. The first couple days in the hospital I didn't have it, and I realized what I was missing when I got home and started using it. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks Spotless, I think I'm more confused than ever! :rofl:

Thanks Spotless, I think I'm more confused than ever! :rofl:

LOL

Boppy can be returned, so don't fret! Pump can't though, so I would wait on that one. I'd also like to add that during the first couple of days after your milk comes in you may feel like you NEED a pump and jump the gun and buy one (like I did because my insurance was taking forever to process my claim), but your milk supply evens out quickly and you stop being so engorged, so unless you want to build a supply in the freezer you may not need it at all. You can also give hand expression a go if you're just looking for occasional relief instead of spending money on a pump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->