Should I get a new puppy, or not? Off topic

NorthStar

Reaction score
I know we talk doggies a lot on this forum and I really miss having a furbaby (my parents got so attached to my little guy in the pic that they wouldn't give him back) so I'm thinking of taking the plunge and treating myself to a pup.

I used to dog rescue/fostering and I'm a pretty experienced dog owner, what I haven't done before is have an "only dog" I had a pair which then grew into a little pack and added fosters to that.

So my question to the doggie people out there, is it cruel to leave a single pup home alone 3 days a week? Some of the time my OH will be there when I'm at work so it might only be home alone 6 days or so a month.

The other thing I'm considering is an older rescue dog, but there doesn't seem to be any small dogs at the local rescue places, only big dogs :shrug:

Depends on the dog how well they will do home alone. Some older dogs may have attachment issues that could crop up.
You could try home alone some days but may need to get a 'pack member':flower:
I would wait till there is a dog the size you want if a small dog would suit your life better. You could tell them at the shelter what you are looking for and maybe they will keep an eye out for you.

I think probably a young, smaller dog would suit home alone better. I think there should be no issues having the dog home alone some days. they have no concept of time so you can be out half an hour or 3 hrs and they usually jus sleep (in my experience anyway). Not that I am promoting leaving them at home all the time obviously. I think it's better they have a loving owner and are home alone sometimes than not having them at all. have had this conversation with my partner as I have been harping on about getting a puppy and think he may finally be giving in. There is a local rescue centre near us but I would prefer a puppy as I think the older dogs may come with issues fromj mistreatment etc which may be hard to change. I think it's a great idea to have a new addition to the household and might help take minds off TTC for a while.:flower:

The best dog that I ever had was an older rescue dog; at that time I was working 50+ hours a week, so the dog spent quite a long time home alone, but Tutti loved it. She was very well trained, so giving her the run of the house was not an issue.

On to Porky...:growlmad: Believe it or not, this dog was potty trained before his brother came home and frankly, he would much rather be an only dog. The only reason he likes other animals around is for his own preverted sexual needs, lol.

I think an only dog is fine and the fact that you work is fine too. You'll just need to invest in a crate until you know how your new furbaby reacts to his/her new home.

So, YES...get a dog! :happydance:

Ha ha, ok then I've got an advert in front of me as we speak....I'm going to phone them up if I don't find a rescue in the next few days.

Two of my dogs were rescues, and I'd really prefer to get a rescue, if there was something suitable for me.

My other little dog visits sometimes (I have access visits LOL)) but since his brother died he can't be left home alone without howling the place down, I should explain that is why my parents kept him as they are retired, well that and he's soooo cute.

So really I need a small female terrier, not too bossy - there's only one alpha female in this house!

Ha ha, ok then I've got an advert in front of me as we speak....I'm going to phone them up if I don't find a rescue in the next few days.

Two of my dogs were rescues, and I'd really prefer to get a rescue, if there was something suitable for me.

My other little dog visits sometimes (I have access visits LOL)) but since his brother died he can't be left home alone without howling the place down, I should explain that is why my parents kept him as they are retired, well that and he's soooo cute.

So really I need a small female terrier, not too bossy - there's only one alpha female in this house!

I think you will know the dog that is for you when you meet it. Now granted, I did actually beg my DH for Porky, but in the end, he is perfect for me. (Don't tell him I said that please, lol.)

:hugs:

Yeah get a dog :)

If you have to leave the dog I wouldn't get a pup due to all the toilet training issues. But a friend has a 4 year old dog from rescue which is left home alone 5 days a week as this is what the dog is used to before my friend adopted it.

Smaller dogs generally end up in breed specific rescues who normally have waiting lists :(

There really isn't a lot I can say or tell you as you are so experienced with dogs apart from go for it :)

My dog is fine at home all day by herself but it took me years to get to this point. When she was a puppy I only worked part time and then I gradually built up to leaving her alone all day. I used to come home at lunch time to check on her and take her for a quick walk around the block. It got to the stage where I was waking her when I came rushing through the door at lunch time so I stopped in the end!

There are some people who think leaving a dog alone is cruel but I genuinely feel that my dog is fine. I even set up a webcam just to see what she got up to all day. She was snoring!

I hope you get the dog you're after.

If a dog is used to or gets trained to be on it's own then it's fine :thumbup:

Mine are happy to be left for 4 hours alone we can leave longer but come back to toilet accidents but that's because we haven't trained them for longer.

Oh i say for sure you should get one, you already know what to expect, and there is no better love than comming home to him/her and having them greet you at the door!!!! And yes its ok to leave them, i have had Kirby for 6 years now, and i go to work every day, he is alone, sometimes i think when we take a day off he is mad because he does not get his nap time in during the day lol. As long as you give them love and attention and play time when your home they are totaly happy. I got Kirby when he was 6 weeks old, i would come home at lunch to let him out, after a week he was house broken and i would work all day, and come home at night, and he was perfectly fine.

Yes, of course you should adopt a dog!

My parents wouldn't let me have my cat, Indigo, back either.

They wouldn't even consider shared custody....

https://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=414891
Yes, of course you should adopt a dog!

My parents wouldn't let me have my cat, Indigo, back either.

They wouldn't even consider shared custody....

It's not just me then LOL.

OK I'm going to try and post the pups I'm considering....little fluffer alert!

And there is also a dog in rescue I love the look of, but he's located a long way away from me...

https://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=414891

If you tried the pic, it's not there. Just a box with a red X.

The cairn terrier? Very cute, but is it $800 for a rescue?

The cairn terrier? Very cute, but is it $800 for a rescue?

No, that's for a brand new pup.

I'm cruising the rescue websites but there's not much in the way of small dogs at all out there. hopefully that means they are all homed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->