Should I get a new puppy, or not? Off topic

:hugs:
The cairn terrier? Very cute, but is it $800 for a rescue?

No, that's for a brand new pup.

I'm cruising the rescue websites but there's not much in the way of small dogs at all out there. hopefully that means they are all homed!

The small dogs always go first. Have you looked into breed rescue? I am not one to talk, my furbabies I have now came from a pet store...which I swore I would never do. I have heard that terriers can be barky, but IDK if that is true or not.

Dachie I like this one as wellhttps://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=414064

:hugs:
The cairn terrier? Very cute, but is it $800 for a rescue?

No, that's for a brand new pup.

I'm cruising the rescue websites but there's not much in the way of small dogs at all out there. hopefully that means they are all homed!

The small dogs always go first. Have you looked into breed rescue? I am not one to talk, my furbabies I have now came from a pet store...which I swore I would never do. I have heard that terriers can be barky, but IDK if that is true or not.

They are a bit barky, definite escape artists and dig a LOT of holes in the garden, I love em though

Dachie I like this one as wellhttps://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=414064

Ok, I love that one! Westies are one of my faves and that dog is adorable. That white patch on his chest is great! :thumbup:

So a terrier is basically a doxie in disguise, lol.

Or this rescue boy
https://www.dogsblog.com/charlie-144/

Ok as an ex Kennel Club employee I will give you head ups just in case you are unaware. KC papers only confirm the dog is pure breed pedigree it will not state whether the pup is breed from healthy stock.

Check what the breeders mean by will be KC registered. Ask for the KC name & number of the dam & sire and you can call the KC to check that both parents are registered with no breeding restrictions and if the litter application has arrived and is being processed or has been processed they can confirm it.

Also the pups parents need to have had health screening for eyes. I've attached a KC information pack about the breed for you.

Sorry if you know all this and I'm teaching you to suck eggs and sorry if these are good breeders but I spent too much time on the phone dealing with owners who had been mislead by some breeders.

Attachments

• Cairn Terrier.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 1
I'd say go for it - thats not a long time alone. Dogs cope well with what they are used to and if its home alone now and again it won't mind. My dog on the other hand goes to my parents every day when I am at work and can't do more than about 4 hours alone (snoozefest), now if my parents are busy for the day I have to take time off work or leave her with my sister in law.

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter - and some of the dogs there would have give their paw to be in a loving home - a few days home alone in a loving environment would have been heaven compared to the shelter. Any decent rescue place should be able to advise of the suitability of the dog to what your situation is.

Dogs are amazing - can't imagine being without one :)

Ok as an ex Kennel Club employee I will give you head ups just in case you are unaware. KC papers only confirm the dog is pure breed pedigree it will not state whether the pup is breed from healthy stock.

Check what the breeders mean by will be KC registered. Ask for the KC name & number of the dam & sire and you can call the KC to check that both parents are registered with no breeding restrictions and if the litter application has arrived and is being processed or has been processed they can confirm it.

Also the pups parents need to have had health screening for eyes. I've attached a KC information pack about the breed for you.

Sorry if you know all this and I'm teaching you to suck eggs and sorry if these are good breeders but I spent too much time on the phone dealing with owners who had been mislead by some breeders.

Thanks Macwooly, if I get one of the Cairns it would be my first ever purebred dog, I've always had bitsers! I'll read that fact sheet, thank you :thumbup:

And yeah Dorset is a pretty long haul for me, and I'm not even sure they would adopt him out to me if they couldn't do a home visit, so I'll keep looking, I'm having a LOT of fun looking.

Thanks Macwooly, if I get one of the Cairns it would be my first ever purebred dog, I've always had bitsers! I'll read that fact sheet, thank you :thumbup:

And yeah Dorset is a pretty long haul for me, and I'm not even sure they would adopt him out to me if they couldn't do a home visit, so I'll keep looking, I'm having a LOT of fun looking.

So pleased I wasn't teaching you to suck eggs :) My rottie is from rescue and pure-breed and the issues we've had with her as the parents weren't tested :nope: We had to start orthopedic surgery on her at 8 months old :cry:

It might be worth an ask about the Dorset one as they may home nationally.

I help rescues by home checking in my area for those that home nationwide and I've done a few transport runs helping to get dogs to their new homes :) And on more than one occasion I've picked up dogs from the area the pups are in so I assume your area and dropped them miles south :)

Yeah when I did fostering overseas we used send them all over the country, so it might be the same here, though I had called another rescue organisation about another dog and got told they would only rehome in their own area.

Yeah when I did fostering overseas we used send them all over the country, so it might be the same here, though I had called another rescue organisation about another dog and got told they would only rehome in their own area.

Want to borrow a doxie? I'll pay child support! :blush:

I looooove dogs :hugs: I'd love to get another..we had a Newfoundland dog and he was a big baby:winkwink: We looked at greyhound rescue however I don't think they're suited to us:nope: Can't wait to see a photo of whatever you choose:thumbup: I'm a sucker any animal:winkwink:

I looooove dogs :hugs: I'd love to get another..we had a Newfoundland dog and he was a big baby:winkwink: We looked at greyhound rescue however I don't think they're suited to us:nope: Can't wait to see a photo of whatever you choose:thumbup: I'm a sucker any animal:winkwink:

Why wouldn't it suit you?

All of the dogs that were up for adoption weren't suitable with cats:dohh: and there's a long list to wait for one that is happy to be around cats so we're still looking. I put our name down anyway so we could hit it lucky:happydance:

Sorry..all of the Greyhounds that were up for adoption weren't suitable...still looking at other avenues though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->