Should I have an amnio - please help - distraught!!!

fizz_gig

Reaction score
Help, I'm distraught with worry.
Just got blood tests back and found that I'm at risk of having a downs syndrome baby. I've a chance of 1:190
Really don't know what to do.
I think we'd keep the baby even if the results showed it was definitely a downs baby so don't know if its worth the risk to have an amnio as the risk of miscarriage is even higher.
Please help/advise - don't know what to do?!!!
Just so worried about everything - and have high blood pressure which is being monitored every week - just to make things worse!!!

Should we bother having an amnio if we'd keep baby anyway?
HELP!!!!

if you'd keep the baby regardless, then i'd say no, dont risk a miscarrige. However, it may be useful for you to prepare yourselves before the baby's born if it has downs. Could you get the test done later on with a lower risk of miscarrige? At least then you wont be panicking at the birth about downs. 1 in 190 is a fairly small chance in my opinion.

I wish you all the best :hugs:

there could be other things they can pick up on in a scan if the baby definately has downs lke the space between the neck if its enlarged it will show and also something to do inside the heart say to the midwife that you would like a scan too see if there is anything that can be picked up via a scan hope this helps

spunky xxx

hi i had an amnio at 16 weeks and all went well,my risk was 1:131,is a very personal thing,I would not have kept a baby with downs so needed to know and i think also it is good to know even if you are going to keep, you can prepare and research exactly what is going to change having a child with special needs.
The amnio has a 1% chance of M/C your chances are roughly 0.5% so is something for you and your partner to think of.

Please dont panic.how far gone are you? As this has a lot of bearing on the triple test results,if done earlier say 14 weeks exactly it can throw the results.

If you want to talk PM me as I know what you are going through.

Also check this out www.amniopcr.com they are an excellent company

Bex

I'm 27 and am 16 weeks pregnant.
No history of downs in the family - so thought my chances were pretty low.
Am too late to have a nuchal scan.
Can they tell from any other type of scan?

Please - any advice would be greatly appreciated - just don't know what to do.
J
x

Hi,
you are too late for the Nuchal fold scan the latest is 14 w and 1 or 2 days.

They can pick up certain markers at the 20 week scan but then will ask you to have an amnio to confirm. this is the only conclusive test you can have at this stage in pregnancy.

If you want to chat liek I said before just PM me and I will be happy to help you.

Bex

Cheers for your help.
Been to hospital today to discuss things.

We've decided to wait to see if anything shows up on the 20 week scan. If it does we will think about an amnio. If it doesn't I don't think we will risk it - even though we know we could still have a baby with downs syndrome.

We know we'll love baby no matter what - so what will be will be - just another 5 months a worrying to get through.

J
x

hi hun ive posted a poll in pregnancy club about triple tests and nuchal fold scans spunky xx

fizz_gig said:
Cheers for your help.
Been to hospital today to discuss things.

We've decided to wait to see if anything shows up on the 20 week scan. If it does we will think about an amnio. If it doesn't I don't think we will risk it - even though we know we could still have a baby with downs syndrome.

We know we'll love baby no matter what - so what will be will be - just another 5 months a worrying to get through.

J
x[/quote

If you will love the baby what ever then it is not worth the risk, I have met some wonderful / remarkable kids with downs syndrome, and they have had a full life.
I am 29 so i am sure you will be fine - i had high bp all the wat through my mrepg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->