Should I take the progesterone?

Mummy and Preggo with #2!
Reaction score
Brief history:

Had an ectopic 7 months ago. The following few cycles I charted I noticed my LP ranged between 3 and 12 days
One cycle I had a 7dpo progesterone level test come back as 3. After months of BFNs, I finally got a bfp last cycle (the first cycle I took Cycolgest 200mg progesterone pessaries). This turned out to be ectopic too :cry:

This cycle we were NTNP so I didn't start the progesterone after ov. I just got a new BFP today at 9dpo and am wondering...should I take it? Quick!

Please can you answer my poll to try help me decide what to do? :shrug:

https://lowprogesteroneinpregnancy.com/

I would also book in with the gp asap - the progesterone shouldn't do any harm - I would go for it if I were in your shoes.

hx

Hey hun, I would take it, it cant do any harm.

As HB says I would get to docs to get them to get you in for HCG and a scan xx

Yes I would take it. too little progesterone and your body cant hang onto the pregnancy ..too much progesterone can do no harm. it will only help.

I said no because of this i was reading the other day on the MC myths and facts thread put together by Wobbles:

Hormones

When we talk about a hormone problem, you have likely miscarried in less than 10 weeks. After that, the placenta has taken over hormone production and any normal deficiency you have is not a factor. Low progesterone, the most common problem, is not as easy to treat as you might hope. Progesterone suppositories, while frequently prescribed, are not proven to be helpful and often actually cause a nonviable pregnancy to last longer than it should.

The only situation where progesterone is a sure solution is with a luteal phase defect, where the corpus luteum, which is formed along with egg at ovulation, does not produce the hormones needed to sustain a pregnancy. For most women, however, this is usually not an every-month problem. Usually the situation rights itself with the next egg and the next corpus luteum. This problem, if it is a permanent one, can be diagnosed through two separate endometrial biopsies. Progesterone must be started 48 hours after ovulation to work. By the time you have missed a period, it is too late to save a pregnancy with a luteal phase defect.

Low progesterone, however, is usually a symptom of an nonviable pregnancy, and not the cause. Doctors often prescribe progesterone suppositories out of patient pressure when the hormone levels are low, but their use is controversial and usually completely ineffective.

ive voted yes, because I cant see that it will hurt. anything that might possibly help you keep this pregnancy must be worth a try. good luck and congrats on bfp!x

In your shoes I would go for it ...........congrats BTW :)

congrats. I would as well. I used progesterone cream by progest last cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->