Should people on benefits be forced to do voluntary work?

I thought income support was for those that cannot work and Job Seekers was for those seeking work.

Its no where near as simple as that there are 3 different types of JSA alone

I know there's one for people on the New Deal or whatever and there's another for people that have lost their jobs. What other ones are there?

I like the idea in principle, I am not sure how it works in practice, I have seen articles about it but haven't really read into it all properly.

But I am someone who believes people should work, I think if people are given opportunities to gain experience then great, they should do it and it will increased their chances of securing a job, I know it may seem like "free labour" to the public but the reality would be having to supervise and train someone new every week for just a week. it certainly isnt the easiest, its not like they could be left to do a job so some else doesn't have to be employed to do it, in fact it probably increased paid work as they will need more people to supervise.

If I was out of work and given opportunity to do work in an area of interest then i would be over the moon.

As a Nurse we trained on the wards for free, full long days proper working, but that was our training. It really was free labour but it was equally beneficial for both parties so where is the problem.

Anyway, what is wrong with working for your benefit? I don't get why some people are so upset about that idea? There are plenty of people working hard for pittance, why should anyone who is able bodied be given money to just decide to stay home?

Although I do think this idea needs to be supported with training before hand and targeted at those who are long term unemployed. If someone had just lost a job I don't think they need this same scheme unless they want it. I just think there needs to be ways breaking the cycle of generation after generation of unemployment.

I have worked both directly and indirectly with these specific people. When I was a development officer one of my roles was to help break the cycle of unemployment and empower people back into work or/and training. So I have seen it first hand, I have worked in schools in rough areas where the kids couldnt care less about school and told us out right they have no intention of working, mum and dad didn't, grandparents didn't, and they still got designer clothes, foreign holidays etc, a lot more than other working families at the school.

There are 2 types of JSA - Contributions based, and Income based. Contributions based is dependent on your National Insurance contributions (if you've worked more than 2 years paying in you will qualify for contributions based), and if not, you will get Income based. The difference is that anyone who qualifies for contributions based gets that for up to 6 months regardless of their partner's income. After that, and for anyone else, the partner's income is taken into account, so if partner is working, they wont qualify for JSA because joint income is too high. They can still sign on to cover their National Insurance stamp but they wont get any money. The amount is the same.

As for the original question, I don't think voluntary work should ever be forced upon anyone, because it does negate the whole idea of being a volunteer. I think it should be encouraged, because it does make you a lot more employable and give you valuable work experience to put on your CV when jobhunting, but it should never be a compulsory thing. There are other ways to ensure people out of work keep their benefits - regular vetting of their jobseeking activities, checking their job applications, etc.

There are so many reasons why people find themselves out of work and on benefits, it's impossible to lump them all into one category and assume anything about them. It's very much a case of looking at individual circumstances and finding the best way to help those out of work into work if they are able. But, in the current climate, there aren't always jobs out there to get.

I think they should have to do something for the benefits they receive...even if it's just picking up garbage alongside the road or doing beach clean-ups.

I guess my answer would be based on the individual's circumstances. If they have very small children - no. If they are single and healthy, I would think retraining. If there are elderly - no. I don't think there is an easy simple answer for this. I guess my simple answer would be as long as they are doing 'something'. Caring for children, education, volunteering, actively looking for work, caring for a sick family member...that should all be taken into consideration.

Maybe a better way so they are not "forced" should be that those who do maybe get a little extra? So those whu just want to "sit on their bums all day" get basic just enough to live on, and those who want to do something get a little extra to treat them selfs so to speak?

I do think they should be doing something it shows those who want to work and those who dont, so why not incentives for people to do voluntary work win win they get a little extra in their pockets those who dont get the pure basics!

To me the very term 'forced to do voluntary work' is an oxymoron :shrug:

I think there's a lot of misconception out there. The majority of people on benefits want to work. Yes there will be a minority who can't be bothered. But believe me living on benefits is no walk in the park.

I 100% disagree with the schemes that have been going on whereby massive companies which could afford to take on fully paid staff get free labour which, if you think about it, is paid for through the benefits the 'volunteers' receive!

xx

Employers should be forced to give more jobs then. Forcing people to pick up litter and not paying them a decent wage is disgusting. Clearly theres a job if they have this new deal as they had here a while whee they make you work for your £50 a week? who can live on that and pay to get to and from work? eat lunch and pay everything else? hardly human is it. I am fed up with bitter people, why not help instead of making things tougher? forcing people to feel more like shit for less money. No wonder we have so much more crime now.

I think they should have to do something for the benefits they receive...even if it's just picking up garbage alongside the road or doing beach clean-ups.

That is the kind of menial labour that we usually assign to people serving time. Since when did losing your job and needing some form of social assistance qualify as criminal?
Why should someone need to feel scorned and ashamed on top of the rest of their bad luck?

I agree with others who have actually worked in the system and who have the firsthand experience to tell us that these legions of rip-off artists who are living the high life off our tax dollars don't actually exist. You might find the occasional exception, but most people who need assistance would do just about anything to find a good job.

To the OP, I think there could be some merit in exploring the idea of skill-builder opportunities for some unemployed people. If I was out of work for an extended period of time, I think I would go crazy if I couldn't do something relevant to my field. I think it would do a lot for someone's morale to have the option to use the time of job seeking to also improve their skills. But mandatory labour? We got rid of the Dickensian poor house for a reason.

I think that volunteering should be relevant to what they child wants to do where possible because theres no point shelf stacking if their looking for a job in I.T. however I think it should be done in a way that prevents big corportations taking advantage either by having a clause that ensures a certain number of staff must still be taken on or that there is a chance of the volunteers being hired.

As for the long term unemployed I know plenty of people who 'choose not to work' when they are perfectly capable but after a while it does get harder to get back into work having voluntary work for benefits is a good way to keep people in the habit of working and updating thier CV so its looks like they have still been doing something with their time.

people questioned this about people on welfare in the U.S. I don't think they really can afford a babysitter just to volunteer (plus the gas and such)

(btw, you CAN find designer clothes in thift stores and yard sales, I have many times ....so don't judge them by the clothes they wear)

I have worked since i was 15, 3 jobs and college at one point.
I am currently having to consider takung redundancy as i cant affoed childcare for twins(I even work in childcare), and whilst people who happily don't work when are able annoys me i think it all depends on the individual. I would be highly offended that after 15yrs of non stop work i decide financially to ne a sahm that someone may think i should do voluntary because i dont work.

The other night me and my dad got chatting about this and now I'm more disagreeing than before with scheme..... As surely if the employer has room for people to do work experience / voluntary then there must be space for them to have a role perminatly :shrug:.......

They will be doing the same job as those that already work there but for a lot less money and how is that fare :shrug:

What about those who are disabled? How are they supposed to do these things?:shrug: x

God I hope some dont find themselves on the dole looking for a job then to be subjected to things like cleaning streets and bogs for their dole money. Some people take great joy in trodding on people below them and worse off.

I think it's a good idea if they can volunteer in the area of work they wish to go into. I would not be for them cleaning the streets and toilets. Work experience is the key word here.

I agree about doing something for money but I also think you should be paid fairly for the job you do and how many hours. If you work you should get minimum wage. End of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->