Should reproduction be a human right?

Gen79

Reaction score
Children deserve the best and I think its sad that so many are born to people who aren't willing to try very hard. Also, society would be better in general if more people were parented well.

However, I wouldn't like it to be as difficult as adoption is, few people are perfect enough for that. But where would that line be drawn then? Maybe my entire argument is that far fewer people should be having kids.

What do you think?

P.S. Obviously everyone on B&B is a good parent to me. Honestly, anyone whose past time is talking about and learning about parenting is good!

Yes. I think picking who and who does not deserve to be a parent is a slippery slope to totalitariamism.

I hate the term 'right', I don't think anyone has the 'right' to have children, hence why some people have theirs taken away from them - but forcing sterilization or abortion on them seems too much of a breech for me. I mean, the things I learned about China in school were haunting, yes they've had to take drastic steps due to their population but forced 3rd trimester abortions and girls killed at birth - obviously it's not the same situation but I think it's a dangerous territory to get into.

Having said that, I'd love nothing more than to have some truly evil people like baby Ps mum sterilized, if she ever gets released under a new identity that is.

I remember reading on the news not too long ago about drug addicts being offered money to be sterilized...

I agree that fewer people should be having kids, the world is far too overpopulated, hence we have problems with unemployment, housing and the NHS to name a few here in the UK. I don't see how this could be regulated though.
I don't agree with women turning into baby machines and having such big families and claiming thousands in benefits just so they don't have to return to work. They some how need to be discouraged from this.

I think in this country we should stop paying any benefits for anything above 2 children inc CB.

I dont think you can or should control peoples reproduction, well look at China.

However I definitely think Child benefits should be stopped at two children. There is a woman at my nephews school who has 13 children. Yes they won their own house her OH works all the hours god sends. But they are receiving about £860 per month just CB. Which is minimum wage for a FT job I just dont see how that is right :shrug:

Yes I do think reproduction should be a human 'right'...

I agree that there are situations where children are brought into the world by what would seem like children. That old saying..'babies making babies'...I dont just mean in the literal sense, such as teen mothers. Some teen mothers are amazing, but not all. Just like some mothers are amazing, but not all.

That said, I also believe in second chances and people can change..by taking away this right, you are in effect, denying people chances to redeem themselves.

I think in this country we should stop paying any benefits for anything above 2 children inc CB.

I dont think you can or should control peoples reproduction, well look at China.

However I definitely think Child benefits should be stopped at two children. There is a woman at my nephews school who has 13 children. Yes they won their own house her OH works all the hours god sends. But they are receiving about £860 per month just CB. Which is minimum wage for a FT job I just dont see how that is right :shrug:

I agree about the benefits. There are situations where it is not clear cut i.e Mother recently divorced and now a single mum with 5 kids. I wholeheartedly believe she should receive help. Im sure there are many other scenarios but its the people that knowingly decide to reproduce time after time knowing that they cant support their children, and will rely on the tax payer to foot the bill. This really riles me, and I see it time and time again (sometimes even on this forum) and I do wonder if I am the only person noticing how wrong it all seems...

I agree its annoying but how wrong would it seem to let those children, who aren't at fault, starve?

I can see where you are coming from, especially I believe in giving children the best start but I am not a fan of the whole restriciting people's right to have children. Who will decide who is competent to have children? What criteria will be set? What about religious people who believe children are gifts from God? I believe when their time comes, babies will be born, whether you are rich, poor, a druggie etc. I am imagining a scenario where you put an application in to conceive lol its a fundamental right

I agree its annoying but how wrong would it seem to let those children, who aren't at fault, starve?

Jeremy Kyle did a show recently on Benefit Britain, and he asked this woman who had 8 kids, all on benefits whether she would have them if she knew she wouldnt get benefits and she said No. Its because it is so easy, people do it. I doubt people would be so quick to make babies if they knew they wouldnt get financial help.

No child is going to starve in the UK. Free school meals, social services, HV's to name but a few things.

The fact is if you have so many children where £15-£20 a week is a matter of your child being able to eat and not. It doesnt cost £20 a week to feed a single child.

There are plenty other benifts such as JSA/IS/WTC/CTC/ESA. All those are over £65 a week

The fact is you wouldnt have/be able to keep children if you couldnt afford to feed them. Anyone can choose to have as many kids as they want but you should be able to afford to feed/clothe/house and most imprtants educate and love them.

I am from the NE of England some of the most 'inpoverty' children in the UK live here. They still have a good quality of life in terms of being fed/clothed/housed. However they dont have a good quailty of life in terms of being educated (within the home) Loved and cared for. But that money doesnt buy

Yes, I think it should be a right. Who (and how) would decide who can and cannot have kids? I've been told that I shouldn't TTC because I'm overweight and bipolar, but why should someone else decide whether I am "allowed" to have kids?

*Steps off soapbox*

There are some people in my personal opinion that shouldn't, but I don't have a right to put my beliefs on someone else.

I agree with the CB to an extent.
My friend is one of 14 and i was talking to her mum, who recently became single and lost her job, she said without that CB she would have had to send all her kids somewhere else as she just couldnt afford to feed them until she started her new job. But for those who have x amount of kids and never work, yes, CB should be stopped at child number 2/3.

Jeremy Kyle did a show recently on Benefit Britain, and he asked this woman who had 8 kids, all on benefits whether she would have them if she knew she wouldnt get benefits and she said No. Its because it is so easy, people do it. I doubt people would be so quick to make babies if they knew they wouldnt get financial help.

I saw this too and was disgusted with her at saying that! She seriously took the biscuit and said what she got in benefits WASN'T ENOUGH!!

Anyway I agree that it's impractical in reality. Some atrocious things could happen as a result of such a policy. I know that of course. I just think its sad and wrong what some children have to go through. I recently saw an episode of Waking the Dead where a guy grew up in a childrens home because his adoptive parents decided they didn't want him anymore when he was five years old. They thought they he "wasn't right" because he didn't sleep well and he wanted love and attention. Then he was abused at the home and he became a murderer in the end. Anyway, I know its only a tv show but I'll bet there are plenty of parents who think there's something wrong with their children because of stupid things like that. Its just sad. But no, I would never vote yes on a bill that reduced our rights like that either!

Yes thats just it. So far on this thread the focus has been on people having babies without being financially secure, but that is not the only consideration. I have come across many parents who say their child is being a pain, or being clingy, when what that child wants is a cuddle- a normal human need. If you were to restrict reproduction, we would have to look much deeper at emotional issues as well. What we need is greater enlightenment on children, with a huge focus on their emotional needs.

Yes thats just it. So far on this thread the focus has been on people having babies without being financially secure, but that is not the only consideration. I have come across many parents who say their child is being a pain, or being clingy, when what that child wants is a cuddle- a normal human need. If you were to restrict reproduction, we would have to look much deeper at emotional issues as well. What we need is greater enlightenment on children, with a huge focus on their emotional needs.

:thumbup: :thumbup: I honestly could not agree more.

:thumbup: :thumbup: I honestly could not agree more.

Me too really

Reproducing is techincally a basic human right, for those lucky enough to be able to. We are technically on this planet to breed and continue the species.

However while reproducing is a basic human right, there shouldn't be a right to have children you cannot afford to support.

Sometimes there are other things that, in my mind, overpower the right to reproduce. E.G those that it is clear will be unable to parent for whatever reason - meaning the child will need to go into care etc. I'm talking cases where it is clear pre pregnancy that parenting is impossible for that person. I use my sister as an example - I love her to bits but her mental health issues mean she'd never be able to parent. I'd be the first to suggets a child be taken into care if she had one xx

Im going to go out on a limb here and say no I dont think having children is a right, its a privalidge that some such as drug addicts and abbuser dont deserve.
I would even go so far as to say in my own little "in my head ideal world" I think classes on parenting before your allowed to have a child would save so much heartache down the line.

One of my faverite film quotes is: you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->