Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

I voted yes thats because I'm one of those annoying ex-smokers! the worst kind

Smoking bans are the reason publicans are shutting up shop ALL OVER THE PLACE, i think in restaurants YES shopping areas etc YES but designated areas should be everywhere.

Smoking should be banned everywhere IMO. Its disgusting, so bad for you. I think it's kindof selfish to smoke around other people, passive smoking kills too.

i for one am not talking about blowing in other peoples faces, as i keep saying i only smoke outside or away from others, i wouldnt dream od it in a busstop if others in there etc!!!

Even if a smoker doesnt blow it in your direction or even stand anywhere near you, i still seem to be able to smell it! Smoke travels......

i can smell smoke a mile off, but again im also a annoying ex smoker lol

there are the rude smokers out there that do give all smokers a very bad name. and they are the ppl who smoke in bus shelters, smoke in doorways ect and this is the reason people feel it should be banned everywhere.

i was a thoughtful smoker but we r never noticed lol

I guess no matter how thoughtful you are, you cant stop smoke travelling and people having to breathe it in, i feel that no matter where i am, i have the right to be there without myself and my child having to breathe in the toxic fumes. Thats just how i feel. I wish no one smoked. Would be beneficial to their health and everyone else too :)

I guess no matter how thoughtful you are, you cant stop smoke travelling and people having to breathe it in, i feel that no matter where i am, i have the right to be there without myself and my child having to breathe in the toxic fumes. Thats just how i feel. I wish no one smoked. Would be beneficial to their health and everyone else too :)

Exactly this ^

Smoke can travel quite a long way if you stand and watch a cloud of it. I've seen it spread over six or seven metres away from the person who blew it out, and that's as far as you can see it. The smell of it lingers for ages.

Designated areas sounds good - keeps the carcinogens away from me! (Obviously I appreciate there are plenty of nasties in the air, fumes from cars and so on, as well as smoke. But there's regulations regarding car fumes!)

:thumbup: Completely agree!

I tend to follow my nanas lead, she never smoked walking down the street, at bus stops of etc, and im pretty much like that but really if im honest, i could say i only smoke in a secret underground smokers cave non accessable to any non smoker and the haters would still not be happy! Its one of those things, personally even my year as a non smoker i still enjoyed the smell from a distance so theres no point in even pretending its just a pity there only seems to be me a small minorty that will admit it inc me.... i am 100% there are ALOT more smokers than have come forward in these threads!!!! ...im not ashamed i am not proud i just do...

I tend to follow my nanas lead, she never smoked walking down the street, at bus stops of etc, and im pretty much like that but really if im honest, i could say i only smoke in a secret underground smokers cave non accessable to any non smoker and the haters would still not be happy! Its one of those things, personally even my year as a non smoker i still enjoyed the smell from a distance so theres no point in even pretending its just a pity there only seems to be me a small minorty that will admit it inc me.... i am 100% there are ALOT more smokers than have come forward in these threads!!!! ...im not ashamed i am not proud i just do...

I totally agree luv.

I appreciate that people dont like the smell of smoke and sometimes have to smell it when they are outside but really I wouldnt have thought it was so bad that people would gag or fan the air if someone walked past with a cigarette. The smell lingers literally for a few seconds, in which time the non smoker could easily have moved away if the smell was offending them.

In no way am I saying that non smokers dont have a right to breathe fresh air...but I, as a human being and one living in a democratic society, have the right to also smoke in public. I guess we could say it's down to morals and whether its morally right to do it in front of non smokers, but again this argument could be the same for alcohol. If a teetotaller went into a pub and expected all others in there not to drink people would be in uproar. The teetotaller may not drink because they have experienced loss/violence etc etc through alcohol in the past, their experience woudlnt give them the right though to tell someone doing a perfectly legal thing to stop doing it.

Sorry I rambled on there a bit. I know that smoking sint very nice and it would be prefereable if everyone quit...but until that point I will always feel ok about smoking outside (consideratley).

xxx

Haven't read the whole thread, but it is actually illegal in the town I grew up in to smoke outside now :shrug:

I voted yes. I'm sick of selfish smokers. There is a group of mums who sit on the wall at Aimee's school puffing away and last week I was waiting with Aimee (Jason was with his Papa) outside Tesco's with a trolley full of food and a woman came and stood right beside and lit a cig..I found this disgusting. I am visibly pregnant and had a 7 year old with me!

weeplin....that is disgusting and cant believe that woman was so stupid to walk up and stand next to u only to start smoking! some people really do have no brains

I had that at the miniature railway a bit ago. Completely pregnant, surrounded by kids, this woman stood by me smoking away before getting on the train with her own kids. I figure if someone's prepared to poison their own children they're certainly not going to worry about poisoning mine.

I hate it and voted YES to ban smoking outside.

I hate it when i am walking with my LO in his baby carrier and a wiff of smoke surrounds us, so i always pipe up and say to LO to hold his breath as people are polluting our airways.

The worse was having some lad who had just finished smoking a joint walk past us, and it was bloody awful :growlmad: People like that are worse then smokers

i never get this argument.. How is it right to stop people doing something which is not breaking the law because certain people are rude about how/where they smoke. Its human rights for both smokers and non-smokers. There are alot more things in this world for me to worry about rather then if i may happen to walk past a smoker today.

Also i guess i may worry more if there was a complete public ban since some people can get very easy angry ect when they have not had a smoke for a while, id rather have to smell a bit of smoke than see loads of violence from lack of nicotine.

Think of all the people late for work/taking breaks to go home/get in their cars just to be able to smoke. All the tax which would be lost meaning the NHS,schools,police ect would have less money

I vote yes. I lived in Florida for a while, where there was a smoking ban in all public areas. In all my time there, I don't think I saw a single person smoking. Not even on the balconies or in the parking lots at my apartment complex. I think smoking bans encourage people to give up an unhealthy habit. And obviously, it protects those of us who choose not to damage ourselves by smoking. I now live in Kansas and some smoking bans were recently instated, but it hasn't really been embraced and is often ignored. I was at a festival and people all around me were smoking. I am very visibly pregnant and still people would stand next to me and smoke. I don't feel it's fair that I should have to leave a show or area to avoid smokers when they could easily go to an out of the way area to have their cigarettes without subjecting children, pregnant women, and others who should not or cannot be around the smoke.

I haven't read the whole thread, so don't shoot me if I'm repeating something!

I am an ex smoker (2 years now :happydance:) who never smoked at bus stops, outside shops/restaurants etc and certainly never where there were children (school, parks high streets etc). Really, I only smoked on my back step, or in my mums garden - it did end up with me thinking "what the hell are you actually smoking for"?!?! :haha:

I think it's worse now that smoking has been banned in places such as pubs/restaurants, as smokers now congregate out the front and we have no choice but to walk through clouds of smoke :growlmad:

I think that smoking should be banned in high streets/childrens parks/outside schools and also mass smoking should be banned!!!
Yes, put up a designated smoking area, but put it somewhere out of the way, so that it doesn't affect others!

I do understand where the smokers are coming from though - they do often get picked on! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->