• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

I don't think it should be banned, just that people should be more considerate of where they smoke. I'm an ex smoker and always went in a corner as far from people as I could :flower:

I'm totally with you on this :thumbup:

The problem is, the world's full of inconsiderate people and without some kind of rules they spoil it for everyone else unfortunately.

No. It's a case of bad apples spoiling the whole bunch, there are courteous smokers out there and we are all tarred with the same brush because of some idiots who can't be polite? Where are MY rights to be able to smoke if it is legal? I'm not in doorways or bus shelters or anything and I'm doing nothing illegal or wrong yet I should still be banned from smoking in a public place? Doesn't sit right with me. And what constitutes a public place? Sorry if that has already been asked.
In answer to ShanandBoc, I'm sorry you have to deal with that, and it's probably something you will have to take up with the rude smoker. He has every right to smoke on his property, yet you have the right not to be exposed, a compromise sounds well in order there. Banning someone from smoking in their own home would be absolute madness as far as I'm concerned, there needs to be communication between you guys. Does he know it bothers you?

In answer to ShanandBoc, I'm sorry you have to deal with that, and it's probably something you will have to take up with the rude smoker. He has every right to smoke on his property, yet you have the right not to be exposed, a compromise sounds well in order there. Banning someone from smoking in their own home would be absolute madness as far as I'm concerned, there needs to be communication between you guys. Does he know it bothers you?

Thanks, i dont think there is much i can do and no i havent spoken to them about it. We live in units, and arent allowed to smoke indoors so without actually stepping off the property to smoke, we will continue to get exposed to it, at least some of the time.

Luckily lately she has been satying at her boyfriends alot and i have been enjoying the nice fresh air! And she works full time so is not here all day during the week, but still :flower:

Thanks, i dont think there is much i can do and no i havent spoken to them about it. We live in units, and arent allowed to smoke indoors so without actually stepping off the property to smoke, we will continue to get exposed to it, at least some of the time.

Luckily lately she has been satying at her boyfriends alot and i have been enjoying the nice fresh air! And she works full time so is not here all day during the week, but still :flower:

That's good :flower: It's a bad situation but we all get confronted with things we don't like. Live and let live I say :)

I gave up smoking long ago, but do enjoy the odd ciggie with a glass of wine or having a rare night out.
I try my best to be considerate, constantly moving away from passers by and picking as secluded spot as possible.
A complete ban would be nice, but wouldnt work I dont think. I watch as parents smoke in playgrounds WTF! That really jars me! Some people arnt curtious enough to follow any rules.
Theres also evidence of clothes and breath retaining harmful toxins for up to 45mins, which, when I spot my ds nursery staff smoking makes me wonder wether we could ever eliminate ALL smoking issues? Will we ever be satisfied?

It's a tough one. I am happy that smoking is no longer allowed indoors of public places (even as an ex-smoker) however out in the open I wouldn't think it's fair. Saying that though it really gets on my tits when people stand in doorways of shops etc or small enclosed areas when I have to push my LO past x

It's a tough one. I am happy that smoking is no longer allowed indoors of public places (even as an ex-smoker) however out in the open I wouldn't think it's fair. Saying that though it really gets on my tits when people stand in doorways of shops etc or small enclosed areas when I have to push my LO past x

I agree with you there. I think it might help to have smoking areas away from doorways, there's always a cloud of smokers outside our shopping centre and the smell makes me feel :sick: - there's no way of avoiding it as you've got to go through the cloud to get in or out of the shops :wacko:

there are no smoking signs right outside mosr doorways and ramps where i am, its just some stupid ass people still smoke there.

some people are just stupid and selfish and will never just think oh if i more 2 feet away i wont bother anyone, and they dont.
but its not like they can ban stupidity

I havent read this thread yet (will do now) so sorry if any of this has already been said.

I voted no.

I am a smoker and I reserve the right to be able to smoke in public. I know that not all smokers are considerate but I will move if a kid passes by and tend to hide my cig from their view. I dont stand in doorways blowing it on people either. A smaller minority of smokers wont be considerate to others but that doesnt mean I should have my rights to do something perfectly legal in the open air.

I dont smoke in my house or around my LO. I smoke outside when she's in bed and it doesnt float into any neighbours houses etc.

I never used to smoke in restaurants but I did in pubs. I welcomed the ban ad I hated smelling of smoke. I liked going outside (in summer!) and enjoyed 'smirting' with people (smoking a flirting, haha). I wasnt doing anyone any harm. I adhered to the rules by not smoking inside.

I chose to smoke and don't believe that a public banning is fair.

xxx

uve got to die of something and if people want to smoke then thats their choice.

Speaking as a person where every single member of my family both side have died from cancer. One of which was a 'smoking cancer' a throat cancer and yes he hadnt smoked a day in this life. But hey maybe it was second hand smoke. Look at Roy Castle!

My Granmother (the throat cancers sister) may currently have lung cancer ( awaiting results) but yet again she worked in the Naafi for a number of years during the war but never smoked in her life. Maybe its that maybe its gentics

But I have no idea how people can see people die like this and still smoke. Spend a couple of hours on a cancer ward and still light up.
:nope:
I personally believe that it has to be lack of education or ignorance. My ex had the whole it'll never happen to me attidude. But as someone who has had gentic testing and I am pretty much gaurenteed to get cancer at some point in my life. Through no fault of my own other than being born. I dont know why people do it to themselves I really dont.

I am sorry about the deaths in your family and that you feel you may be genetically designed to have cancer in the future. That must be quite a hard thing to come to terms with :hugs:

T part in bold though is a little unfair. I am a smoker. I am neither ignorant or uneducated about the facts of smoking. What I am is addicted. I have an addiction to nicotine, not caused by not knowing the facts or by being ignorant to them. I started smoking at 19! Silly I know. I was in greece were my family live and somehow got caught up in the atmosphere. Maybe I could be called nieve but certaingly not ignorant or uneducated.

xxx

uve got to die of something and if people want to smoke then thats their choice.

Speaking as a person where every single member of my family both side have died from cancer. One of which was a 'smoking cancer' a throat cancer and yes he hadnt smoked a day in this life. But hey maybe it was second hand smoke. Look at Roy Castle!

My Granmother (the throat cancers sister) may currently have lung cancer ( awaiting results) but yet again she worked in the Naafi for a number of years during the war but never smoked in her life. Maybe its that maybe its gentics

But I have no idea how people can see people die like this and still smoke. Spend a couple of hours on a cancer ward and still light up.
I personally believe that it has to be lack of education or ignorance. My ex had the whole it'll never happen to me attidude. But as someone who has had gentic testing and I am pretty much gaurenteed to get cancer at some point in my life. Through no fault of my own other than being born. I dont know why people do it to themselves I really dont.

I am sorry about the deaths in your family and that you feel you may be genetically designed to have cancer in the future. That must be quite a hard thing to come to terms with :hugs:

T part in bold though is a little unfair. I am a smoker. I am neither ignorant or uneducated about the facts of smoking. What I am is addicted. I have an addiction to nicotine, not caused by not knowing the facts or by being ignorant to them. I started smoking at 19! Silly I know. I was in greece were my family live and somehow got caught up in the atmosphere. Maybe I could be called nieve but certaingly not ignorant or uneducated.

xxx

But you wont always have been addicted. I mean its not like I have never had a smoke ever, I have had maybe say about 20-40 cigerettes over about 5 years when I was young and it was 'big and clever' iykwim. But they arent addictive unless you build up a habbit and surely if you know all the dangers, the facts, the fact that it is addictive you wouldnt put yourself in that situation? See thats the part I just cannot get my head around. Why anyone who was educated about smoking and not ignorant to the horrible death your risking why would you start a smoking habbit?

Not just directed at the user quoted but everyone. Surely there must have been a line where you thought if I do this I will become addicted and then risk my health?

xxx

But you wont always have been addicted. I mean its not like I have never had a smoke ever, I have had maybe say about 20-40 cigerettes over about 5 years when I was young and it was 'big and clever' iykwim. But they arent addictive unless you build up a habbit and surely if you know all the dangers, the facts, the fact that it is addictive you wouldnt put yourself in that situation? See thats the part I just cannot get my head around. Why anyone who was educated about smoking and not ignorant to the horrible death your risking why would you start a smoking habbit?

Not just directed at the user quoted but everyone. Surely there must have been a line where you thought if I do this I will become addicted and then risk my health?

I do see what you mean but I still dont think I am ignorant or uneducated because I started smoking. Of course I knew cigs were addictive. I was 19, beyond the age of 'innocence' and perfectly capable of making informed choices. Perhaps at the time (going back a bit now haha) I chose to do it because I didnt have any worries, responsibilities and though in the future I could quit at anytime.

Knowing something is addictive and harmful does not nesessarily make a person not do that act.

I'm not always keen on comparissons and blabbing my lifestory but...

My dad was an alcoholic. He drank all day every day and eventually lost his life at the age of 42. I KNOW that drinking can be addictive, i've seen it first hand, however I still chose to have a drink. People all over the world know that drinking is addictive and still drink. It's about choice and being free to make that decision. Just because you chose to do it doesnt mean you dont know what the effects may be in the future.

xxx

I see what you mean.

What do you think the difference is? Obviously many people drink in moderation without it becoming a risk to their health, people eat in moderation without it become a risk to thier health. However I dont know anyone who has always smoked in moderation i know some people do in cutting down or quitting process but not as a general rule.

Maybe its because you can become addicted to food/alchol as a comfter for example a habbit but there no chemical dependacy. But from what ive seen from people quitting smoking its always been more about breaking habbits not nicotine

it is a person choice and right to smoke if they want to, that doesnt make them uneducated. im an ex smoker, when i smoked i was conciderate and wouldnt smoke near anyone if i could help it (i wudnt light up standing next to someone but if they stood next to me i wasnt going to move)

i quit smoking for my son, and because of him it was easy. i started up again in novemeber due to a loss. then got this bfp and stopped straight away again.

and now being a non smoker i can tell how much i must of smelt while smoking its disgusting, i hate people standing next to me or walking infront of me and smoke coming near me. but i hate alot of things in life that wont and cant be banned so i put up with it

Everyone has the right to make their own choices but i dont think that any non smoker should have to breathe in 2nd hand smoke ever because of someone elses habit. I ( and my DD) cant really go anywhere without having to walk past and breathe in someones smoke.

Thats no fair imo.

x

Yes it should be be banned. I dont see why me and my kids should have to suffer having smoke and ash blown in our faces and im my pram. Its f**king disgusting.

Im an ex smoker and don't think it should be banned, however i do think smoking in high streets, outside shops ect should because I hate taking ruby though clouds of smoke. I think there should be smoking areas in towns, like smoking huts ect so that non smokers and children do not have to be subjected to it

I see what you mean.

What do you think the difference is? Obviously many people drink in moderation without it becoming a risk to their health, people eat in moderation without it become a risk to thier health. However I dont know anyone who has always smoked in moderation i know some people do in cutting down or quitting process but not as a general rule.

Maybe its because you can become addicted to food/alchol as a comfter for example a habbit but there no chemical dependacy. But from what ive seen from people quitting smoking its always been more about breaking habbits not nicotine

Yeah I definately think its the comforting thing with alcohol and food. Plus they are both very social and you dont get the same stigma as you do with smoking? Maybe, just a guess though!

I started smoking just when I was out drinking. I would come into work after a weekend out and hand over almost a full pack to my friend as I didnt smoke any other time. Gradually though this became more unlikely and I would have the odd 1 in work until now were I smoke 20 every 2 days (still good for me though as before I was pregnant I smoked 20 a day).

I am going to quit very soon. I am looking into hypnotherapy. I dont want my daughter to have any option to see me smoking. When I'm an non smoker though I still wont want a full ban in public.

xxx

Yes it should be be banned. I dont see why me and my kids should have to suffer having smoke and ash blown in our faces and im my pram. Its f**king disgusting.

Again I get what your saying but you are taring everyone smoker with the same brush when there are considerate ones (myself) out there. I dont go about blowing smoke at people. I will move out ofthe way and hold my cig away from a non smoker. I dont smoke outside doorways or in my home/other peoples homes etc.

I totally get that you find it disgusting. I find a lot of legal things disgusting but just because I dont like/agree with it doesnt mean I have the right to tell someone else not to do it.

When outside other people have the option to move out of the direct path of smokers (most of the time) and a considerate smoker will not stand and blow it at someone.

xxx

Well if smoking is banned then, why not go the full hog and take cars, bikes, buses, lorries anything that spits out disgusting exhaust fumes off the road, they are far worse for the planet and people then some second hand smoke! I don't think it should be banned it is everyones own personal decision of what they can do and more or less where they can do it and if they want too smoke in public that is there own rights to do so

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->