Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

I think it would there are a huge amount of people who smoke who aren't willing to break the law to get cigerttes.

A huge amount of jobs rely on you not having any criminal charges or cautions or convictions.

I think even the indoor ban decreased smoker numbers by a huge amount and made it easier for people to stop. Who really wants to stand out in the cold and rain to have a tab lol

However I dont think smoking areas would work. Whenver I go to Alton Towers people are smoking in queue lines and all over the park. Like someone else said its a lot harder to make people have manners and consideration. As thats a totally grey area as supposed to no your in public you cant smoke

I do think the ban should be extended to no smoking within the area of public building entrances (although I always thought this was already the case)

What about child minders and such, obviously they cant smoke (well I hope not) while they have children within the house and plus it also being classed as a business but are they allowed to smoke in their own house once the kids have gone home?
That still doesnt seem right to me as all the chemicals still lingering the next morning.
Obviously you cant realy state who can smoke in their own home but ethicaly it doesnt seem right.

I think it would there are a huge amount of people who smoke who aren't willing to break the law to get cigerttes.

A huge amount of jobs rely on you not having any criminal charges or cautions or convictions.

I think even the indoor ban decreased smoker numbers by a huge amount and made it easier for people to stop. Who really wants to stand out in the cold and rain to have a tab lol

However I dont think smoking areas would work. Whenver I go to Alton Towers people are smoking in queue lines and all over the park. Like someone else said its a lot harder to make people have manners and consideration. As thats a totally grey area as supposed to no your in public you cant smoke

But that should be down to the park to enforce their own rules then, when working at thorpe park I on a fair few occasions pulled people out of ques for smoking and made them either leave and return to the que all over again without their fag or on one occasion actualy had them removed from the park.
The rules regarding smoking are clearly posted all other the entrance and by entering the park you are agree to those rules

Just wanted to share this little story about one of my regulars at work and his little rant as it made me chuckle when he told me.

This guy who comes in works as a warden at a near by prison and his beef was
"how comes I have to walk down the hall, down 5 flights of staires, across a court yard and sit outside with no shelter in the pissing down rain taking a total of 15 minutes out of my lunch break to get there and back to have a smoke yet the guy whos in for murder can light up in his cosy cell whenever he wants?"

Because prisons are classed as homes I do find this rather stupid that they have these rights and comferts :)

I think the 'live and let live' ideal can only apply to people who arent harming themselves or others.

Ah... now that statement could open a whole new can of worms LOL .... we're back to enforced contraception/sterilisation for any woman who has a health condition that might harm her or her baby (including genetically carried conditions)? ... locking up anyone who has a communicable disease? .... alcohol (again)? .... anyone taking part in 'dangerous sports? .... anyone driving a motor vehicle? ....

The list could be endless - how do you define 'harming themselves or others'? We are obviously talking potentially here as 2nd hand smoke isn't guaranteed to harm anyone and everyone who comes into contact with it, any more than everyone getting into a car is guaranteed to have an accident and either kill themselves or another person - where do you draw the line? :shrug:

I think the 'live and let live' ideal can only apply to people who arent harming themselves or others.

Ah... now that statement could open a whole new can of worms LOL .... we're back to enforced contraception/sterilisation for any woman who has a health condition that might harm her or her baby (including genetically carried conditions)? ... locking up anyone who has a communicable disease? .... alcohol (again)? .... anyone taking part in 'dangerous sports? .... anyone driving a motor vehicle? ....

The list could be endless - how do you define 'harming themselves or others'? We are obviously talking potentially here as 2nd hand smoke isn't guaranteed to harm anyone and everyone who comes into contact with it, any more than everyone getting into a car is guaranteed to have an accident and either kill themselves or another person - where do you draw the line? :shrug:

I draw the line at anything that smells ;)

I read where a smoker says that she does something to keep smoke away from babies/kids/pregnant ladies as they walk pass...but NOT EVERYONE is like that....I have walked by so MANY people who smoke and smoke and smoke with no care in the world. they smoked like crazy with no worry that me,my daughter, nor my son were near. I didnt say that smoking had to be banned but they should have lined out certain areas where smoking is allowed so us non smokers who DONT want to be exposed to the smoke, especially for their childrens safety, we have the choice so we know where to stay away from if we dont want to be exposed....just my honest opinion

Redpoppy yes I know the debate isnt about whether or not it will be criminalized, I was merely stating, as an aside, that while the issue of it being banned may seem abit extreme now, as time goes by and with perhaps emerging scientific evidence and changing attitudes, there may come a time when it may not seem so ludicrous or "dictatorshipy".

Btw, if my last post sounded a little blunt it's because my little madam had decided that mama wasn't going to have any more internet time and so I quickly clicked post instead of sorting it out. Sorry. :blush:

And of course if there is new evidence then that would be a different issue.

:thumbup: This is actually my BIGGEST beef with smoking. I have a friend who is every once in a while ranting about the police state he lives in where he can't go to a pub (a pub i tell you!!!!) and light up a cigarette and how it's ludicrous and how people should have freedoms blah blah blah and my HUGEST issue (for myself, not for others or my child etc.) is that it STINKS SO BAAAAD! I can't remember the film but theres an exchange where a guy asks someone if they mind if they smoke (in a restaurant) and his reply is "do you mind if I fart in your face?" :rofl: :blush: But I always think that's a REALLY good point!

But having said that, I still think smokers should be allowed to smoke in open air, non children specific (theme parks) places. :flower: I mean, farting in an open air space is far different to farting in someone's face in a restaurant. :winkwink::haha:

I think smoking in public is awful. When we go town we cant even go out the shopping centre cause they all smoke in the door ways, and I wont subject Daisy to all the smoke out there! I cant stand walking behind someone who is smoking, and it makes my blood boil to see a baby/child being smoked over, its disgusting and totally unfair! Some may see this unfair, but I see smoking around children as child abuse!

:rofl:

Redpoppy - yes your post hurt my feelings lol but yeah its hard when you just want to type out a response and LOs are busy nagging, thats why alot of my posts are so short

The smell of smoke bugs me but not as much as when you inhale it and you feel lightheaded. Weird thing though, when I was pregnant, both pregnancies, I craved the smell of smoke and it took all of my will power not to go sniffing it out.

See everyone who has complained about people smoking near them or their children can I ask a genuine question?

I will anyway ...

How many of those that have complained about others smoking have actually asked a smoker, politely, if they could perhaps move away from your pram so your child doesn't inhale the fumes?
Or did you just sit and complain?

See everyone who has complained about people smoking near them or their children can I ask a genuine question?

I will anyway ...

How many of those that have complained about others smoking have actually asked a smoker, politely, if they could perhaps move away from your pram so your child doesn't inhale the fumes?

I have yes, some times im replied with "oh sorry" and others I get tutted at then a back turned to me and ignored.

TBH though it pretty much is a very stupid ignorant person that would come othre near you awhen you have children with you and lite up in the first place so why should they be asked "politly"

I will anyway ...

I'm usually on the go but if a smoker stands/sits by me I will loudly complain and cough etc and move away. My feeling is if they are that ignorant to think it's ok to light up next right next to a pram out of all the other places in the area then they are probably too ignorant to care if I ask them to move.

I will anyway ...

Oh aye. I am as they say 'not backwards in coming forwards'

I get everything from sorry to bear faced cheek and being sworn at, once theyve moved away to be honest but still.

But thats when people are really in my face about it. I truely cant have a go at everyone on the entrance to asda or the metro centre on a 3 times weekly baisis.

When I was in the queue at alton towers and someone bhind me light up they said sorry but I NEED it. Cos they had been in the queue for 2 hours. People cant see past thier addiction sometimes. So she didnt stop and there was no member of staff available till the ride. at which point i told them but that was far too late :shrug:

I dont think smokers realise how powerful and foula smell it is and how far it can travel and how long it hangs around

I think it should be banned, and it is in many areas here. You can't smoke on school grounds, can't smoke on hospital grounds, many cities now have it where you can't smoke in any building like restaurants and even some have it where you can't in bars. I wish you couldn't smoke at all in public, I HATE walking through it, smelling it makes me sick and I don't want my kids around it. There are laws against being drunk or drinking in public why not smoking too

I will anyway ...

The thing is, you're either someone who takes the threat of occasional, open air, second hand smoke as something very seriously harmful to children or someone who sees it as a nearing benign thing. :shrug: You can't police manners or consideration and so you can't enforce those people out there who will smoke near babies. :shrug:

I would be interested to know if people who are supporting banning smoking would also support a ban on driving cars? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->