Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

SKATERBUN - absolutely, you would have to be a hermit to avoid inhaling the smoke because it is literally everywhere.

I have even taken to putting the raincover over LOs pram when we go out because even when you stop at pedestrian crossing waiting to cross, you are engulfed by the smoke. I worry about children more than anything, having the smoke inflicted on them in the name of preserving another persons "right" to smoke.

Re the enforcement issue, just found out that smoking in public is banned in Kenya and they issue on the spot fines and possible prison time. They have adopted designated smoking areas. I don't know how practical that would be though. I'm imagining enforcement officers standing at corners lol or maybe PCSOs?

Even if we put the legalities to one side and took an ethical look at it, I think it would be ludicrous to tell people that if they don't want to inhale smoke they should stay at home. Using Tattiesmoms example it would be like saying, "if you dont want to get run over by a drunk driver, stay home". I mean aren't we MORALLY obligated to minimize harm to others? Is someones "right" to smoke greater than anothers right to life? Really?

That arguement is fairly moot also.
I did say in my first post smokers should be more courteous to others and not have their smoke affecting anyone else.
However, my point was also this "why should smokers only be allowed to smoke in their own homes because some people don't want to be around it, why can't the people with the problem stay away from those who smoke?"I mean, you are saying because you do a certain thing, while you do said act you should be ecluded from society. It can work the other way - don't like it, don't go near it. You cannot ay one thing without their being the exact same arguement on the other side.
Also, by making smokers keep indoors to face their addiction it is segregation through and through.

This arguement could also be applied to anything. I don't like inhaling car fumes - no one should use their cars because it has a negative impact on my health. Whereas car users could say to me - you don't like inhaling the fumes, don't go out then, why should we stop doing something for you because I wouldn't stop putting myself out and in the health harms way.

You cannot segregate a group of people, it is wrong.

General courtesy I am all for, segregation I am not.

But what do you do in the case like I explained earlier where I was sitting on a bench feeding my baby and this old bloke just came over and sat with his wife and lite a fag up less then two feet from me when there was at least 9 other benches he could have sat on all alot further away.
I did start tutting and commenting on ignorant people but I got the iompression he didnt speak English so I had to get up and move away while still trying to feed LO and cart all his bag, my shopping and his buggy in one hand because I had him in the other.

The same day I was standing outside the shopping mall waiting for hubby to catch up and 4 poeple (all together) came and stood next to me and lit up right under a no smoking sign (it was all undercover so they shouldnt have been smoking) by this point I was realy pissed off.

Not all smokers are thoughtfull in fact some seem to go out of their way as if they are daring you to complain just so they can have the attitude of "well im outside so I can smoke where I want"

I dream of a total ban, including in peoples homes.

I have never smoked, never wanted to, hate the smell, I choose not to have friends that smoke because I feel ill just from the smell on their clothes. That's before I even get started on the health side of things..

However, I still have to breathe peoples smoke every day, in my own home. I live on a fairly new estate, and the houses are quite close together. The wind swirls between them. 6 of the neighbouring households have smokers. They are 'responsible' and smoke on their doorsteps rather than inside their homes (some have small children). I cannot go outside or open my doors or windows without smelling their smoke. There are so many that there is someone out there about 50% of the time. Up til last year, I would be woken at 6.30am each morning by one of them puffing away, and coughing so much it sounded like they were throwing up. I guess they either moved or died :shrug:

Anyway, my point is that nomatter how you restrict smoking, anything but a total ban doesn't solve the problem.

Is there evidence that such a small level of occasional exposure to second hand smoke is that dangerous? I'm genuinely asking and not trying to be funny. :flower: and how does it genuinely compare to car fumes?

As I said, I HATE smoking. I hate the smell with a passion. It's just vile. But I really have faith that the human race has evolved to be pretty sturdy. Considering stress and anxiety issues are probably the biggest contributors to SO many illnesses I feel we'd all do much better just trying to make people aware of common courtesy and trying not to get so wound up.

I do however think that if the smell of smoke was invading your living space then that should be seen to in some legal manner. And if they could pass a law enforcing common courtesy I'd be all for that! :haha:

I just googled and found this www.slate.com/id/2228681/ where they discuss outdoor smoking ban studies and the differences in the levels of second hand smoke. I like the way at the end the guy says (in support of a ban) "...the Government are obligated to act to protect the susceptible from the stupid"

Oh Smokey, stories like that are awful, but I still hold my point - you cannot segregate a sect of people because how some feel towards them making a choice like smoking. It's not fair either way :/

Rubix you must be a rare good 'un. I'm pretty confident that the last time a smoker held their tab away from me was in a busy nightclub so you can tell how long ago that was!

I always do it, especially around children, I will move it children come close after I've moved because they're just kiddies.

By having designated smoking areas they are not being segregated (hate that word it makes me think of Apartheid) because they have made the decision to smoke, they are being seperated because their lifestyle choices have detrimental effects on the health of others and this can easily be avoided by them smoking in the smokers area. If I was a smoker and I knew what I was doing was hurting others, I would welcome the smoker's area.

By having designated smoking areas they are not being segregated (hate that word it makes me think of Apartheid) because they have made the decision to smoke, they are being seperated because their lifestyle choices have detrimental effects on the health of others and this can easily be avoided by them smoking in the smokers area. If I was a smoker and I knew what I was doing was hurting others, I would welcome the smoker's area.

Oh no, a smokers area in places I do agree with. Not allowing smoking in public full stop is segregation though :/

Oh no, a smokers area in places I do agree with. Not allowing smoking in public full stop is segregation though :/

I would have thought designated areas as more segragation then a full out ban though, ie you have to sit that end of the bus if your black.

At least with a all out ban then no one is seperated your all not smoking.

I have changed more to the thinking of designated areas now rather then a all out ban although I wish the twat next door to me would quit smoking drugs in his flat because it stinks my flat out all day everyday :)

By having designated smoking areas they are not being segregated (hate that word it makes me think of Apartheid) because they have made the decision to smoke, they are being seperated because their lifestyle choices have detrimental effects on the health of others and this can easily be avoided by them smoking in the smokers area. If I was a smoker and I knew what I was doing was hurting others, I would welcome the smoker's area.[/QUOTE]

I am a smoker and id welcome the idea of areas as I hate the idea of others being affected by what im doing to myself (unless they are idots who go out of their way to walk into your smoke and make a big show of it)

In theme parks like Alton towers (I noticed this on honeymoon) and thorpe park, chessing (I live next to thorpe park so go there often) they have banned smoking throughout the park exept for in a few desiganted areas and I htink its great because not only does it keep the place tidier from fag ends but then you dont have the greif of trying to find somewhere to sit and have lunch or rest for a few minutes without wheezing through a cload of smoke especialy somewhere thats aimed at kids.

Actualy when I worked at thorpe park it was a big rule about no employee was allowed to smoke on site, we had random searches once past the changing rooms to make sure no one was sneaking any in and being found smoking was a firing offence ( I used to sneak them in inside tampon cases and made a killing selling them to other staff)

I dont smoke and voted yes

Ideally what I woul like to see is the legal age of smoking increased every year by 1 year so that no further generations can ever legally smoke.

I hate walking through cloads of smoke I also hate when people trow tabs out of thier car and it ends up in your ventalation system

I also have the urge to shoot anyone who I see smoking next to children especially under 1s

thats a fantastic idea!i would vote for that!!

Ideally what I woul like to see is the legal age of smoking increased every year by 1 year so that no further generations can ever legally smoke.

I hate walking through cloads of smoke I also hate when people trow tabs out of thier car and it ends up in your ventalation system

I also have the urge to shoot anyone who I see smoking next to children especially under 1s

Only problem I can see with that is that must realy piss off the 18 year old thats just got old enough to go get them :)
Every time he gets another year old they move the goal posts :)

That's absurd. Making it illegal for people to smoke, or not making it illegal, eventually making it illegal is a bit dictatorshipy.
Who are we to choose who smokes or not?

We choose the goverment to make drugs illegal. We choose to heighten the age for smoking to 18. We choose to id anyone who looks under 25. The goverment to increase the the price of alocohol so its isnt pocket money prices (in theory) There as policyies agasint happy ours o offers in pub which encourage people to drink more and quickly

All because these are damaging to peoples health and cost the goverment money to clear up the mess in terms of abulance and police and even fire brigade.

Smoking is addictive and is going to seriously damage your health and eventually lead to your life being shorter at best. Why shouldnt they be illegal? Drugs come on the market now as legal which are sooo dangerous and been made illegal. If cigerete showed up now there is no way they would be legal.

On another note.

Yes you maybe a considerate smoker bu i assure you you are one of very very few.

Everytime I go to Asda (because it isnt a standard designed one) I have to walk through 2 clouds of smoke. One waiting for taxis and one at the COVERED entrance. Everytime I go withou fail.

When I go into the city centre fo work. Clouds and clouds of smoke. I was sitting on a bench eating the other week and some teenager came and sat next to me with a baby in a pram and light up. I said FFS and moved.

Out the other day and I saw 4 yes 4 women smoking oer a pram, surronding this poor 5ish month old. I honestly wanted to shoot them.

The women in my local shop smokes outside but doesnt wash her hands when shes done come in stinking of smoke and touching my food. Its disgusting.

My mum does operations on people to save thier lives cos they have smoked. First opertunity they get they are out smoking again I personally dont think they should have a right to organ transplants if they arent going to stop!

My best mate is a paramedic and went to suicidal woman over Christmas. Basically she just needed talking down. The house was yellow with smoke and she had been chain smoking all day having recently lost her husband. Although she didnt smoke when they were there (because they would have left) the fumes were so bad my best mate had an astma attack and was eally ill for days because of that womans house.

Thats stuff from the top of my head and within 6 months.

Tatties mom - you mentioned drink driving but drink driving is already illegal

Yes it is - but alcohol isn't, and therefore I am potentially exposed to an idiot who wishes to break the law by imbibing alcohol and then driving in just the same way that you are exposed to 2nd hand smoke by idiots who wish to blow smoke in your direction in the open air.

Also - getting so drunk that you clog up A&E departments or just generally cause a nuisance on the streets isn't illegal - drink driving is just one very small part of the problems caused by alcohol.

'In the open air' is also extremely relevant - smoking is already banned in every public place that is enclosed. In the open air smoke disperses quickly, doesn't build up and represents a minuscule risk to anyone apart from the smoker themselves ... unless you are standing still, literally inches from them and taking very deep breaths :shrug:

I totally agree with Appleblossom - designated smoking areas in pub, clubs etc, that are highly ventilated and completely separated from the non smoking areas would have been a much better way to go than an all out ban .... as she says people choose to go into such places and be exposed to smoke whereas the total ban has actually increased the amount of smoking outdoors (ie doorways etc) and therefore has increased the number of people who are unwillingly exposed to smoke and the amount of smoke that they are exposed to.

I dream of a total ban, including in peoples homes.
I have never smoked, never wanted to, hate the smell, I choose not to have friends that smoke because I feel ill just from the smell on their clothes. That's before I even get started on the health side of things..

However, I still have to breathe peoples smoke every day, in my own home. I live on a fairly new estate, and the houses are quite close together. The wind swirls between them. 6 of the neighbouring households have smokers. They are 'responsible' and smoke on their doorsteps rather than inside their homes (some have small children). I cannot go outside or open my doors or windows without smelling their smoke. There are so many that there is someone out there about 50% of the time. Up til last year, I would be woken at 6.30am each morning by one of them puffing away, and coughing so much it sounded like they were throwing up. I guess they either moved or died :shrug:

Anyway, my point is that nomatter how you restrict smoking, anything but a total ban doesn't solve the problem.

No one can decide what people do in their own homes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->