Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

I don't understand the goat reference. :(

Alot of threads recently (mostly in baby section) have been flooded with thousands of pictures of goats if they show any signs of becomeing heated and it kinda spiraled out of control a bit.

omg the goats are back!
Lol.

For me, i can't stand smoking, hate the smell, the dangers etc, and partly the reason my family won't see LO, is because they think i'm a mental freak for not allowing him to be in the same room as them smoking.. anyway thats a different story.
I am glad the ban came into place where smoking isn't allowed indoors (shopping centres/pubs etc) I don't feel it is fair on people who smoke for there to be a complete ban in any public place. I can't stand it when there is a huge cloud of smoke in a shop doorway and we have to get in, annoys me but where else can people smoke?

im an ex smoker myself and gave up while pregnant with my son(first baby) and after quitting i noticed how smoking is everywhere.

some people dont care if u cant smoke in bus shelters or that they are standing infront of children or pregnant women and that really gets on my nerves!

i think smokers just need abit of commen sence and thought for others. when i was a smoker i hardly smoked in public as i didnt want my smoke to be in other peopls faces as it was my choice not theres and id never smoke near a child.

saying all this "we" cant ban everything as then what kind of freedom would anyone have?

Yes and no tbh, I think that there obv needs to be more common sence on the matter like not smoking in door ways ect. Howeveer at our local hospital noone has stopped anyone smoking in the carpark or near the doors, College has a huge smoking area but people still smoke outside of it.

I have never understood the bus shelter one though because it is not 3 full walls its like standing between chicken wire lol

^^ Our maternity department always has loads of people smoking right in front of the doors! :dohh:

^^ Our maternity department always has loads of people smoking right in front of the doors! :dohh:

when I went to get a scan done this woman came out and lite up while she was in labour with her butt hanging out of her gown.

Yep, kill yourself in your own home. Don't put it in the same air as me and my baby.

What exactly are the laws about smoking in the UK currently?
Here in NZ, smoking in public buildings and centres is illegal. You can't smoke in bars or clubs etc, but can smoke out on the street or right at the door of a building.

Pretty much you cant smoke in any public building (cinema, pub, resturant shop) on any public transport, in any car that is used for work as well if other people also use the vehical (if your the only person that uses it even for work you still can) or in any shared work place
You cant smoke under any public cover that has more then 50% wall coverage ie you cant if its a bus shelter with a back and 2 sides but you can if its a building awning with no sides or front wall.

You can still smoke in any home or place concidered a home for a length of time ie a prison, hotel (although most are allowed and do have a no smoking rule) care home and such.
You can also still smoke in your office if you are the only person with use of or to enter that office

I'm a non smoker and was very happy when smoking was banned in public places such as restaurants. However I do not think that smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own homes. To me that it is taking it all too far.

I'm a non smoker and was very happy when smoking was banned in public places such as restaurants. However I do not think that smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own homes. To me that it is taking it all too far.

I was a smoker when the ban came in and even I said it was a good thing.. I didnt like eating my dinner in a cloud of smoke.. Its much nicer this way.
I do agree that anything more though would be taking it too far

No I don't. I think it's silly that they stopped people smoking in pubs/clubs (or indoors in general but pubs and clubs are the main place for smokers) If people choose to go to the pub then they should be willing to put up with smokers. Why should the smokers be kicked out on the streets for passers by to have to walk past and get a full intake of their smoke?
:nope:

Sorry, i completely disagree....Anyone should be able to go to the pub (or anywhere indoor) without breathing in poisons because of someones dirty habit, and if they are outside smoking at least its in the open air and not in a confined space. Thats crap that a non smoker should have to put up with it, Every person has the right to go to a pub / club etc and be able to leave without a sore throat, stinging eyes, and clothes and hair that reek from all the smoke, not to mention the long term effects.

And what about the workers? They have every right to work in a safe, smoke free environment

Banning it in open air is silly. By the time you breathe in any fumes they are so miniscule that they will not make a difference. Pollution, car fumes etc. are more likely to do damage. Yet no one complains about them. Odd.

theres also no way to inforce the ban seen as there isnt enough police around these days anyway.

this is again coming from a ex smoker, yes it stinks and its disgusting but we breathe in far worse like above poster has said. we cant all be surrounded with cotton wool, it should be down to the smoker to have half a brain and not smoke directly around others, but people are selfish and dont care

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->