Should Smoking in Public Be Banned?

Banning it in open air is silly. By the time you breathe in any fumes they are so miniscule that they will not make a difference. Pollution, car fumes etc. are more likely to do damage. Yet no one complains about them. Odd.

Thing is though the smell of smoke is a far more regular occurance than the smell of car fumes in m day to day life. I mean you do go walking along motorways I suppose.

But I can only think of a few times in the last year where Ive thogh that car smells. Where this morning I went past someone and though :sick: the smell of smoke.

Its not solely about the dangerous effect it is about the unpleasent smell as well. Which I really dont think you can appreciate to people who have never smoked how truely foul it is.

And yes as someone else has said you cant regulate smells or control people stinking. Howver I may come across 1 or 2 people a month where they smell like naturally for want of a better word. Be it beer Bo or piss. However im near on average one or two smokers a day. So its more about the frequency I think.

Banning it in open air is silly. By the time you breathe in any fumes they are so miniscule that they will not make a difference. Pollution, car fumes etc. are more likely to do damage. Yet no one complains about them. Odd.

Thing is though the smell of smoke is a far more regular occurance than the smell of car fumes in m day to day life. I mean you do go walking along motorways I suppose.

But I can only think of a few times in the last year where Ive thogh that car smells. Where this morning I went past someone and though :sick: the smell of smoke.

Its not solely about the dangerous effect it is about the unpleasent smell as well. Which I really dont think you can appreciate to people who have never smoked how truely foul it is.

And yes as someone else has said you cant regulate smells or control people stinking. Howver I may come across 1 or 2 people a month where they smell like naturally for want of a better word. Be it beer Bo or piss. However im near on average one or two smokers a day. So its more about the frequency I think.

But as we previously covered, if it's the smell that's the bother, it's not really a logical argument to say bad smells can be outlawed. If it's the danger to health that's the bother then there are many other things in our environment which would also need to be outlawed. I personally think either is silly although New York apparently disagree with me. :shrug: No more smoking in central park, times square or Jones beach.

Why cant it be both?

Why can the smell be a problem and the damage to health be a problem?
Not only of other people by second hand smoke but of the people who smoke aswell.

I disagree that no-one complains about sources of air pollution. It's fairly strongly regulated with industry having to comply to maximum levels of specific compounds and hefty fines and more if they break the law. The environment agency documents all the convictions they make in the public domain. Car pollution is more tricky to regulate because it's variable during the day etc however there are a number of rules over emissions that have to be met in order to pass the MOT and there has been a progressive movement for years now to improve emission quality, starting with catalytic converters and unleaded petrol and now moving in the direction of hybrids and electric cars.

No I don't. I think it's silly that they stopped people smoking in pubs/clubs (or indoors in general but pubs and clubs are the main place for smokers) If people choose to go to the pub then they should be willing to put up with smokers. Why should the smokers be kicked out on the streets for passers by to have to walk past and get a full intake of their smoke?
:nope:

Sorry, i completely disagree....Anyone should be able to go to the pub (or anywhere indoor) without breathing in poisons because of someones dirty habit, and if they are outside smoking at least its in the open air and not in a confined space. Thats crap that a non smoker should have to put up with it, Every person has the right to go to a pub / club etc and be able to leave without a sore throat, stinging eyes, and clothes and hair that reek from all the smoke, not to mention the long term effects.

And what about the workers? They have every right to work in a safe, smoke free environment

That was why the idea of the ban originaly came about, t protect workers that had to be confined all day every day in other peoples smoke.
Its something they have been trying to do since Roy Castle died

^^ Cars have catalytic converters on their exhaust pipes to reduce toxins, smokers do not :)

I know that, but there are far more cars in use than smokers today.

And no, you can't control the smell issue.
I hate the smell of certain perfumes, they make me feel sick - lets make those brands illegal?
I hate the smell of fish or fishmarkets or anything like that - lets make those illegal.
I hate the smell of the dumps - lets make them illegal.

Where do you stop?

But those smells arent ALSO causing poor health to not only the user but people seconds hand.

There are alot more smokers than dumps there are a lot more smokers than people wearing a certain perfume there are a lot more smokers than fish markets.

Just as there are a lot more cars than smokers.

But as I keep saying its no one thing or another it really is both!

WEll I suppose tripple, because I truely dont understand why smokers are choosing to worsen thier health, shortern thier life and pretty much gaurentee an unpleasnt death. Though something that you can shoose not to do. But I suppose thats a different debate

^ So true. My dad died last year of a smoking related illness (throat cancer) and it wasnt nice.

im not saying people dont die because of smoking, but i no a man who had mouth cancer. he never smoked in his life but i bet if he did smoking would of been to blame even tho he would of got it anyway.
its the same as people dying because of being over weight, the foods they over eat on arent banned and people dont say woo donuts should be banned because i no someone who eat too much and died.

uve got to die of something and if people want to smoke then thats their choice. just because people dont like the smell ect doesnt mean the government can ban people from smoking in the streets. even if they did how on earth would they inforce it

uve got to die of something and if people want to smoke then thats their choice.

Speaking as a person where every single member of my family both side have died from cancer. One of which was a 'smoking cancer' a throat cancer and yes he hadnt smoked a day in this life. But hey maybe it was second hand smoke. Look at Roy Castle!

My Granmother (the throat cancers sister) may currently have lung cancer ( awaiting results) but yet again she worked in the Naafi for a number of years during the war but never smoked in her life. Maybe its that maybe its gentics

But I have no idea how people can see people die like this and still smoke. Spend a couple of hours on a cancer ward and still light up.
:nope:
I personally believe that it has to be lack of education or ignorance. My ex had the whole it'll never happen to me attidude. But as someone who has had gentic testing and I am pretty much gaurenteed to get cancer at some point in my life. Through no fault of my own other than being born. I dont know why people do it to themselves I really dont.

Spend a couple of hours on a cancer ward and still light up.

this :nope::cry:

Partly the reason i want to go into nursing. Sorry went off hand abit! x

I agree its lack of education and/or ignorance that causes people to start smoking, it certainly was for me I was 14 and thought the odd one wouldnt hurt and I'd never get addicted, but I did. I think smokings gross and no one should ever start but its an addiction and a bit farfetched to expect people to only ever smoke in/outside their homes. Or if outside still counts as being 'public' as some have mentioned being able to smell it from next door etc that means every smoker would only be able to smoke in their own home? I'd never smoke in my home but I still have an addiction to it so if I can't smoke outside my house or in the street where can I smoke...?

I haven't read all 18 pages :flower: if I missed something crucial to the topic than please update me? Thanks!

Smoking in public parks and down at the waterfront is illegal here. :mrgreen: I'm happy they did it, they're trying to promote parks as a healthy and safe place to bring your children. I'm sure it ticked off the smokers but tbh I don't care. If you want to smoke that's fine but the risks of second hand smoke are proven and I don't want to breathe it, let alone my daughter breathing it.

I'm a reformed smoker. So generally the person who smokers hate the most because I can come across as condescending to people who do smoke. My personal feelings is that no one in our age group can say that smoking is GOOD for you. I'm 32 and when I started smoking (I think I was 12 or 13?) even back then I knew it wasn't good for me but I decided to do it anyways. I smoked for 10 years and then I quit. It wasn't easy, no... but it IS doable. If you choose to continue to do something that is known to kill you that's fine, but don't bring the people who don't want anything to do with it down with you.

Its also the law here that you have to be a minimum distance away from any doors leading into public places (restaurants, malls, etc). They aren't doing that because they hate people who smoke, they're doing it because (again) its proven to be deadly. They also quarantine people who have the flu or any other type of contagious illness as well. Not because they hate the person who has it, but because they are trying to limit exposure.

Why is it a bad thing to want to try and limit the exposure of carcinogens and other poisons to people who don't want to be around it?

Yes I do think it should be banned if people choose to smoke and put their health at risk that's fine. But they shouldnt expose others to the danger of second hand smoke. Im fed up of walking out of buildings and meeting a wall
Of smoke that I have to take aidan through. X

Tiff: i like how they have banned smoking in parks ect... I actually think thats a very good idea. It annoys me when i go to the cemetery and people are sat having a ciggy there, i just walk the other way to avoid them.

There is a shopping outlet here called dalon park and it has signs as you walk in saying no smoking beyond this point. Well to get in and this is no word of a lie, you need to walk through all the smokers as the silly idiots stand right at the gates to get in! And you always get the off ignorant person who still smokes with in the non smoking area and i personally want to get and snatch the ciggy from his mouth and put it out but i am not the police and i have no jurisdiction and i would be the baddy for doing it.

i personally want to get and snatch the ciggy from his mouth and put it out.

......... in his EYE!

I know what you mean about Dalton Park some people just have no respect and think its okay cos they have a 'need'

The thing is that nicotine is one the THE MOST addictive substances known to man and the vast majority of smokers DO start when they are underage and therefore whether they "CHOOSE" to do it or not becomes strange territory. Issues of consent for children (which people are at 13, 14 etc.) is different to those of an adult. As I previously said, if there was a way of making it impossible for humans to start smoking before 21 that would be great as it would be a more informed choice and then harsh consequences woudl seem fairer.

I never did smoke when all my friends started at school. I remember me and my best friend just thinking it was ridiculous and not "cool" as everyone liked to make out. But many of our quite intelligent and lovely friends did start smoking at 13 and everys single one of them has attempted to quit at some poitn in their adult lives.

Of all the people I know who smoke EVERY SINGLE ONE has tried to quit and ONLY 2 have ever succeeded.

The fact of the matter is that just because an individual can or has the mental, emotional and physical character needed to quit doesn't mean everyone does. Some people are genetically and psychologically more inclined to addictions than others. Unless we make smoking illegal or AT LEAST somehow stop children from starting at such a young age it just seems excessive to me for people to expect 25% of our population to be so vilified.

I think the "oh the second hand smoke will kill us" theory is nonsense* as the laws stand as the evidence in the prior article link showed. As for the smell, you can't legislate against smell. So both arguments fall quite flat. It ultimately to me is a case of mass hysteria. "oh no! If i walk within ten yards of a smoker I and my child will get cancer despite evidence showing that's simply not true!!!" It's just the general vilification of people choosing to do slow harm to themselves. Besides, most of us will get cancer and smoking wil have little to nothing to do with it.

*edit: this specifically is aimed at second hand smoke in open outdoor spaces where people have the freedom and ability to walk away from the smoke.

The thing is that nicotine is one the THE MOST addictive substances known to man and the vast majority of smokers DO start when they are underage and therefore whether they "CHOOSE" to do it or not becomes strange territory. Issues of consent for children (which people are at 13, 14 etc.) is different to those of an adult. As I previously said, if there was a way of making it impossible for humans to start smoking before 21 that would be great as it would be a more informed choice and then harsh consequences woudl seem fairer.

I never did smoke when all my friends started at school. I remember me and my best friend just thinking it was ridiculous and not "cool" as everyone liked to make out. But many of our quite intelligent and lovely friends did start smoking at 13 and everys single one of them has attempted to quit at some poitn in their adult lives.

Of all the people I know who smoke EVERY SINGLE ONE has tried to quit and ONLY 2 have ever succeeded.

The fact of the matter is that just because an individual can or has the mental, emotional and physical character needed to quit doesn't mean everyone does. Some people are genetically and psychologically more inclined to addictions than others. Unless we make smoking illegal or AT LEAST somehow stop children from starting at such a young age it just seems excessive to me for people to expect 25% of our population to be so vilified.

I think the "oh the second hand smoke will kill us" theory is nonsense as the laws stand as the evidence in the prior article link showed. As for the smell, you can't legislate against smell. So both arguments fall quite flat. It ultimately to me is a case of mass hysteria. "oh no! If i walk within ten yards of a smoker I and my child will get cancer despite evidence showing that's simply not true!!!" It's just the general vilification of people choosing to do slow harm to themselves. Besides, most of us will get cancer and smoking wil have little to nothing to do with it.

Sure, because the Mayo Clinic is poor evidence?

Also, I don't see the National Cancer Institute agreeing with you.

Second hand smoke IS harmful. I can't believe that there are people out there who don't believe that. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->