should we go straight to ivf?

chs07

Reaction score
Hi, just come back from appt with consultant after 3 months of unsuccessful clomid, we discussed trying a further 3 months but he doesn't think it is worth it and personally neither do I, he advises to move straight to IVF based on costs and success rates versus IUI
Has anybody been through the whole thing and if you had your time again would you jump straight to IVF? I'm in two minds and can't decide whether to give IUI a go first, I'm finding the whole process very emotionally draining and find every month of failure hard to deal with.thanks for any advice x

Well I am on my second IUI, if this one fails I will be booked in for IVF. Going for IUI first has some benefits; it is cheaper, they use less drugs, and personally I think it has prepared me for IVF. Getting used to the injections, the scans etc.

It is a horribly emotional time, the hardest thing I have ever done.

You do what you feel is right, but hang in there, and if at all possible, stay positive!

x

heya hun x x x

i went straight to IVF after 3 rounds of clomid, but i think we bypassed iui cos of DH's sperm count, and my rubbish ovaries!!!

what i would say though is, and i hate having to write this, but get yourself on the waiting list as soon as you can. Yuo would have to wait anyway, so you can still do IUI whilst waiting for your ivf stuff. From the news and this new coalition government, they are making some big changes and cutbacks to public spending. i know they've already dropped the PCT's, and i just wonder what that's gonna do for us ladies going through nhs fertility treatment. Do you know what you're currently entitled to regards free IVF? I guess if you were going straight to private, then it's not an issue, but i know that for most of us, cost is a huge factor.

Please don't panic though! I could be totally wrong, and they could end up throwing more money our way.

i'd also like to add to anyone else reading this that this is not a scare tactic, nor my personal crusade to badmouth, or big up any political party. I just know for me, the new government does have implications.

much love, and i hope you get a big fat BFP soon :hugs:

Hi, just come back from appt with consultant after 3 months of unsuccessful clomid, we discussed trying a further 3 months but he doesn't think it is worth it and personally neither do I, he advises to move straight to IVF based on costs and success rates versus IUI
Has anybody been through the whole thing and if you had your time again would you jump straight to IVF? I'm in two minds and can't decide whether to give IUI a go first, I'm finding the whole process very emotionally draining and find every month of failure hard to deal with.thanks for any advice x

Hi, I was in exactly the same situation hun, I went in July to discuss IUI after 4 months of clomid, they did another test on my OH sperm and said that by doing IUI it would make that much diffrence...... I was just thinking by doing IUI I would get 3 extra chances then go onto my free IVF which had to be giid right?? But then I sat and thought about how many months I had been heartbroken at the BFN'S and that could I really wait another 3 months to be a mum?? I am having egg transfer today for IVF and it's all looking very promising so I am glad that I went straight for IVF but you need to make sure that you make the right decision as after you have had your IVF then you can't have the free IUI's. I don't know what your area is like but like I said I went in July and here I am a couple of months later with it nearly completed. Hope this helps xxx

The choice between IUI and IVF is based on what the problem diagnosed it. IUI has as good a chance of success if the problem is mild. Its a lot less invasive than IVF and is a natural conception vs an artificial one for IVF. I had 4 IUIs in which I had one chemical pregnancy and had the Lap not diagnosed a problem with my tubes I would have stuck to a few more IUIs.

IVF is a huge investment not just financially but also emotionally. If the problem is severe then the docs suggest going straight to IVF, but if an IUI works and it works for a lot of women its a better choice.

All the best deciding. Cheers

hi, thanks everyone for all your replies, hearing from others who have already made this choice really helps, my hubby is all for going straight to ivf, we already have one child and we have been private since the beginning, I don't know what we are entitled to with IUI's on NHS but i know we cannot get IVF

I'm leaning more towards IVF just worried about mounting costs if first go is unsuccessful. I'm planning on deciding soon so we can try and get a chance before Christmas, it really would be the best present ever x

hi - My FS told me the exact same thing. Said IUI was just like regular sex so the chances are pretty low. I went straight on the IVF waiting list in Apr 2009, a yr later Apr 10 i was called for it but I just wasnt ready so I postponed it til Apr 11. And I also regret not having the IUI (even though the chances are low maybe there is a problem with the sperm getting through the cervix (hostile mucus or a tight opening) so maybe IUI would of worked for us!!!

The IUI waiting list was a yr too but if we went for that the 1st time we could have it over and done with by now and then if it didnt work I'd be on the IVF waiting list and would still be called next Apr.

So what Im saying is if your not in a huge rush and would like more time to try naturally then why not go for the IUI first, if that doesnt work then a yr later you'll get the IVF. :thumbup:

I've decided to give IUI one go and if it doesn't work then go for the IVF, I feel better knowing I'm doing something just hope i can start soon, does anyone know how long a medicated cycle of IUI takes?

Hey CHS

We didn't have the option to do IUI and so went straight to IVF but we waited for our NHS cycle having been diagnosed in 2008.... we've had our cycle BUT if we had the option of 1 IUI just to see, especially as it's less invasive - i'd deffo give it a go. My friend was unexplained and told to go to IVF she didn't respond and had only 1 follie and then they switched to IUI and she got pregnant... so sometimes it's definitely worth it. If we had our time again, i'd be paying for IVF as soon as we were diagnosed rather than waiting this long.....:hugs:

Hey Chs- Just wanted to drop in a line about IUI vs IVF as I have had a shot at both. A medicated IUI has a higher success rate than having sex. thats because u are given hormones to get better quality follicles and possible multiple follicles, the sperm is washed and injected directly nead the tubes which takes care of any cervix mucus issues and u are give progesterone support to address any hormonal issues or luteal phase defects. I know of a lot of women who have conceived on IUI. My doc usually goes in for 6 IUIs before going in for an IVF if the tubes are fine.

I had an issue with my tubes, had grade 4 endo and PCO and still conceived on IUI though it ended in a MC. Also an IUI mentally prepares u for an IVF which is a marathon of a treatment.

Just wanted to give u my perspective. Hope u get your BFP soon

thanks again everyone, I've got my initial appt in a couple of weeks for IUI - it's on my 30th bday so hoping it's a sign!, I don't OV on my own due to PCOS so have no natural cycles, they already have all my history so I'm hoping that they give me the drugs on the day so we can get started asap

we're unexplained, and have had 5 cycles of iui, none of which have worked, i wish now that we'd had ivf instead. we've got an ivf consultation apt this month, with the hope of starting with the drugs in december, but obviously would have been way ahead if we'd just had ivf.

it is a very personal choice though

good luck to you

Mrs Sunshine- IUI is ot very successful for unexplained fertility but for PCOS it works quite well as the drugs will make you ovulate and a well timed IUI can work.

Like I said - it depends on what the problem is

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->