Shy/withdrawn lil girl

pinkish_angel

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im after a bit of advice.. my lil girl will be 3 in april. For the last I'd say month or 2 she has been very shy around people she doesnt know (or doesnt see much). For instance, she used to go to my nans regularly and play with my cousins lil children.. she would walk in and start playin straight away etc. Now she walks in and grabs hold of me.. puts her head down so no-one can see her and even goes as far as if anyone says 'hello' or tries to say anything to her at all she will slap herself in the face repeatedly. I really dunno why she has all of a sudden started behaving like this. Christmas night we went to my parents house. As soon as people started to arrive she hid on the sofa and I would say it was a good hour before she even looked up. I try to get her involved and make her feel at ease but nothing works. Its the same when we went to sainsburys.. there is a play area in the cafe and there was a lil girl playing. My daughter would not go anywhere near her. Even when the little girl came over and said 'come and play', my daughter pushed her away and yelled 'nooooooo'. I really dunno why she has become so angry and what seems like 'insecure'. She has never been to a play group.. I thought it was enough to let her play with my cousins kids at my nan's. Now I am really worried bout her going to nursery as I know she is gonna cry so much for me that the nursery staff are gonna send her home to go back with the next intake. I want her to be a confident, happy little girl but I just dunno how to change her ways. Is it just a phase she will grow out of or do I personally have to change her somwhow? How can I help her get over this behaviour? I am gonna start taking her to my local library. I think they have baby and toddler groups. I know at first she is gonna hide away and not interact but I am hoping this will help her in the long run. Any other ideas? any help will be grateful. thanks xXx I feel like its my fault and that I am making her unhappy as she comes across to everyone else like such a naughty withdrawn child :cry:

(me and her dad split up in april and he moved out. This hasnt 'seemed' to affect her tho really. she still sees her dad bout 3 times a week and we dont argue when around her so I dont think its that).

I don't really have any advice (my LO is much younger) but I did read something about a shy little boy once. The therapist person got him to come out of his shell by telling him to pretend to talk in a monster's voice. I don't really understand how it worked but it seemed to! How about taking her to things that are quite structured (does your library do bounce and rhyme?) that will get her used to being around other children but won't force her to interact until she wants to?

I really don't think it's your fault though...I was really shy as a a child and my parents were happily married and everything was hunky dory at home!

I wouldn't be concerned hun, my elder daughters were like that at playschool so 3/4 and now would talk to anyone :lol:

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"