Signs and symptoms of reflux

Whisper

Mummy to DD & DS
Reaction score
What are the typical signs and symptoms of reflux in babies?

I posted before about my LO being really fussy at the breast pulling off and crying etc.

I am wondering whether she has reflux....she pulls off and cries so i sit her up to burp her and then she screams/cries (like in pain, similar but not as intense as when she had her jabs) then she spits up. Its not projectile but is still quite a bit of sick.

She has never been like this before just recently, is it possible that she could develop reflux after being fine for so long or could it be something else?

I really don't know what to do, at first i thought she wasn't getting enough but now she seems really distressed halfway through a feed and afterwards.

I know she is still hungry and she wants to feed but she seems to be in pain and gets really frustrated, pulling off searching for the boob, a couple of sucks then screaming again....

Please anyone i need some advice....

cant help hun but will be following this thread, Kaitlin is exactly the same. Does she kick her legs out and throw her arms about ? The HV told me its colic, but im not sure!

yes she does her fists are clenched up by the side of her head and she throws them about and kicks her legs, arches her back turning her head frantically all the while still trying to latch back on and as soon as she does she comes off, and this goes on and on until i sit her up but then she lets out an almighty scream!

I thought colic was just in the evenings? does Kaitlin act like this at every feed or just evening feeds?

Its horrible everything was going ok, i have been trying to call a LC to come visit me but no answer so far.

I did speak to someone and she said maybe i have OAL (over active letdown) i'm not to convinced on this to be honest because she seems frustrated like she isn't getting anything....but i can get a little off myself....?

Not sure if this is related but she has been sleeping quite a bit more than normal (i think maybe this is making me a lot more observant and paranoid) oh and she is drooling a lot too!

Jack has reflux. he developed it when he was about 3 weeks. we had an awful time with him. he would straighten out his legs and scream and have his fists clenched. he would also puke even after a couple of hours after a feed. he would puke every day. he would be up screaming at night and wouldn't settle. we started him on infant gaviscon and it worked :happydance: he is much better and doesn't puke as much as he did and is much easier to settle. he is still a bit windy and has a bad patch every day where he screams with wind but its definitely not as bad as it was. hope this helps.

Just been to the doctors and she said it seems like she has colic, which would explain the screaming and pain part (i guess). She also said that she is a bit congested which is why when feeding she gets irritable so we have been prescribed some salin drops to put up her nose before each feed.

She does seem a little better this afternoon/evening, so will see how things go.

Oh and she also told me to bend her knees up to her belly when she seems in pain (with her laying flat) apparently is eases the pain and she also showed me how to do massage her tummy.

Laus - perhaps if we both try and see how it works.....do you give your LO infacol for wind/colic?

on a side note she has being pooping like a trooper today, think she is on poop number 8 already!! and they arn't little poops either!! and as i type i can hear her doing another one...blimey!

Thanks everyone for your replies :) :hugs:

yes she does her fists are clenched up by the side of her head and she throws them about and kicks her legs, arches her back turning her head frantically all the while still trying to latch back on and as soon as she does she comes off, and this goes on and on until i sit her up but then she lets out an almighty scream!

I thought colic was just in the evenings? does Kaitlin act like this at every feed or just evening feeds?

Its horrible everything was going ok, i have been trying to call a LC to come visit me but no answer so far.

I did speak to someone and she said maybe i have OAL (over active letdown) i'm not to convinced on this to be honest because she seems frustrated like she isn't getting anything....but i can get a little off myself....?

Not sure if this is related but she has been sleeping quite a bit more than normal (i think maybe this is making me a lot more observant and paranoid) oh and she is drooling a lot too!

I thought colic was just in the evenings aswell but the HV saaid it can be anytime, its commonly in the evenings though. Kaitlin does usually have these screaming fits in the evenings, but sometimes it is in the daytime, its not at every feed.

Iv been giving her infacol for a good week now and its not made a difference :-( and Iv tried the holding her legs to her chest but shes so distraught kicking her legs about I cant do it because shes so strong kicking them out and I hate to force them too much!

Im taking the docs tommorow because this has gone on long enough now and Iv today noticed she has a white tongue, I dont think its milk residue becuase it was a while after a feed and its been there all day, she has been fussing at every feed today and not fed for very long :-( so looks like we have colic and oral thrush to contend with.

let me know how you get on with the tequniques the doc showed you xx

Lauz - how did you get on at the doctors?

got an apponitment at 3.30 today hun, I'll let you know x

How has ameilia been since you made this thread ? Kaitlin was crying saturday night as xfactor came one lol and last night, so it does seem to be mainly in the evenings. She settled more easily last night though with lots of pacing the floor...had to hand over to OH as it kills my back walking back and forth and jiggling her up and down!

She seems better in herself more bright and alert but she is still a bit of a poorly bub, she has a cold. I can hear her all night having trouble breathing and coughing. She also had diarrhea this morning but it could be down to the saline drops or just generally feeling unwell...?
But, she is feeding a lot better and not crying as much in frustration and pain like before.

Fingers crossed Kaitlin will be ok. Its so hard to tell what is wrong with them sometimes, it would be great if some sort of machine could scan them and tell us why they are crying.....but then things would be too easy...huh? lol ;) x

She seems better in herself more bright and alert but she is still a bit of a poorly bub, she has a cold. I can hear her all night having trouble breathing and coughing. She also had diarrhea this morning but it could be down to the saline drops or just generally feeling unwell...?
But, she is feeding a lot better and not crying as much in frustration and pain like before.

Fingers crossed Kaitlin will be ok. Its so hard to tell what is wrong with them sometimes, it would be great if some sort of machine could scan them and tell us why they are crying.....but then things would be too easy...huh? lol ;) x

That would be a godsend lol so many things have the same symptoms its hard to tell what is what!

got some drops for the oral thrush....but regarding the colic it was a waste of time really, he said infacol is a waste of time and to try coleif.Its a bit of a pain coz it has to be given in their milk, so have to express a small amount, add the drops and give to her on a spoon. Only had one dose so far and last night she screamed as usual, so I'll keep giving it to her today and see how she goes tonight. It was £9.99 and I was a bit annoyed becuase the pharmisist said it can be prescribed, but he had just told me about it, didnt prescribe it!

Oh he also said to try plain old water, boiled and cooled, but im not sure I want to because she might begin to favour the bottle!

did he not give you tips on tummy massage or anything?
Some doctors are such a waste of time.
I'm not sure if you have been shown but the doctor told me to place the base of my hand on her pubic bone (obviously take the nappy off lol) and move it from left to right(thats the way the bowels move), you can use some baby oil or massage lotion of something so babies skin doesn't get sore. Apparently it should help i have heard some people trying this and said it works....
I wouldn't be keen on giving my LO boiled water either, surely they would just fill up on water and not have any nutricious (sp?) milk....?

No he didnt tell me anything about massage! I'll give that a go, and maybe ask the HV if she can demonstrate so I know I am doing it right! thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->