Silent reflux

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
Hello all. (Have posted this on a few areas so sorry if you are reading it again!)

My 3 week old daughter has just been diagnosed with silent reflux - i took her to doctor convinced it was colic - but apparantly not! Anyway, was wondering if any of you have children that have had this? If so, have they grown out of it by themselves and at what age?

I only ask as a 'friend' has just told me that we (and i quote) have a long and painful road ahead of us that will probably result in LO needing key hole surgery to rectify problem after being pumped full of various drugs that will do nothing first.....needless to say, not only am i now extremely worried and i am also incredibaly hacked off with her comment and really upset - is silent reflux really that serious? She has been presribed infant gaviscon and some drops to neutralise here tummy acid a little so that it burns less.

Please share your thoughts/experiences - am really worried thanks to said 'friend' and her helpful comment :cry:!

Your friend is wrong. That only happens in very rare cases where the baby isn't able to eat at all. Google a bit and you will see it is very common and most of the time babies grow out of it. Don't let the fearmongering get to you. It really is common and like I said only really serious in cases where the infant fails to thrive. You are doing fine. Already the gaviscon has helped so it won't be a big deal. Worst case is that LO acts more "colicky" than other babies might but so long as she gains weight you'll be fine and in time she will grow out of it. Pm me if you like. Oscar was diagnosed with it too. It's been a pain but he has gotten better recently and we started to wean him off the medicine to see how that goes. I have extra laundry to do as he spits up oftenand I'm exhausted especially from holding him upright so much but he is fine. Gaining weight wonderfully and seems much happier these days. Take heart. It's not a big deal just an extra challenge but it will get better.

Agreed with Shri... Once your baby is up and moving more then it will improve. Jasmine has reflux and since getting her into her jolly jumper lots i've even notice an improvement.

Hi Hermione has silent reflux and it can be distressing for both her and us when she cries non stop. they grow out of it and i have been told by my peadiatrician (sp) as was refered to hospital to wean her earlier than 6 months as it will help with it and shoould stop it.

ok we have anti-sickenss meds and it does help - ask for domperidone at your docs, we use the medicine dummy from mothercare to administer it and its all fine. we also use SMA reflux milk which has been the best thing - her reflux is so much better with this - its thicker and easily digested so doesnt come back up. we have been given even more meds and told to introduce them slowly, but arnt going to give her any more than the new milk and domperidone as she is doing so well on both

you shouldnt need surgery, just stick with it and remember when she cries she is in pain, i know that sounds silly but it stops me getting angry with Hermione as some days it can be tiering. she still has good and bad days, but nowhere near as bad as they were before we tried this new milk. oh you buy the reflux milk called STAYDOWN in big boots stores, its not in the supermarket and cost £8.22 i think so is around a £1 more expensive but worth every penny.

hope this helps keep me posted, its nice to share these things and as we are btoh in the same position it can be reassuring to know someone else is going through the same. good luck

oh forgot to say her crib is on an angle really helps with her sleeping. one end is piled up on books!!!! she wouldnt sleep before, waking crying choking etc. now she sleeps through the night, may be worth a try

Thank you so much ladies. I feel so relieved - i'm sure she will soon frow out of it - hopefully!

mrsdcooper - when you say an angle, how high do you mean? If i put an argos catolouge under one end, for example, is that high enough? Or will i need more?

Also, the gaviscon does seem to be helping - well it did last night and this morning, but this last feed, she has been in pain again straight after (though not for as long) - is it normal for it to work at some points in the day and not others?

hi, elliot's still having problems at 5 months old but we've only recently been told it is reflux and are still waiting to see the paediatrician.

im hoping it'll improve soon, i hate it.

keely.x

I've found it's sporadic with Oscar too. Some days are better than others but I suspect it is worse if he has gulped more air as this makes him gassy. We put stuff under his matress to incline it. They say at least 30 degrees. The trouble is he slides down so we got a sleep positioner but I don't like of much. Too foamy.

The whole thing has been incredibly stressful. It is not easy that is for sure and I find myself feeling really low sometimes because I have no time at all to do anything. But he cries less now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at last where at first I wondered how on earth I would cope.

Haven't thought about weaning yet as it is too early but hope by then he will have outgrown it anyway. We are trying chiropractic treatment too since I read that helped a lot of babies. Not sure yet but he does seem happier after a treatment.

hey we have 3 argos books under each leg - its supposed to be 30 degrees ish

Gaviscon worked for us for around 3 weeks, and only at some feeds, but is effects started to lessen and thats when we went onto her domperidone. see how it goes and just mail me if you wanna check anything else and i may you if i to have questions if thats ok

hey we have 3 argos books under each leg - its supposed to be 30 degrees ish

Gaviscon worked for us for around 3 weeks, and only at some feeds, but is effects started to lessen and thats when we went onto her domperidone. see how it goes and just mail me if you wanna check anything else and i may you if i to have questions if thats ok

Of course, that is fine x Thank you for your help ladies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->