Single vaccines

Cattia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am posting this here rather than in baby club because I REALLY don't want to re-open the whole vaccination debate. I have not decided yet about the MMR and I know I have a lot of time to think about it, but I am wondering whether anyone knows whether and where the single vaccines are available in the UK? I am doing some research into this now so I can make an informed decision when the time comes. I thought some of you ladies might know.

Thanks x

Hiya,

Researching is a good place to start and then you get to make a decision that you're comfortable with. https://www.jabs.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=762 here is a list of doctors that do the single vaccines and links to their websites (hope i've pasted the right link!!)

I recently decided on the single vaccine route for my dd. After cancelling the MMR 4 times I knew I was avoiding it and personally didn't feel I wanted to leave dd unvaccinated.

A point you may want to consider is the company who make the single mumps vaccine is no longer making it. So there are limited supplies in the UK currently. I am on a waiting list, but may not get it at all. I am semi happy to leave this and I will possibly allow dd to have the mmr at pre-school age - but it's something i'll have to look into further myself.

XXX

I've been wondering this too as my LO currently has rubella. I don't see the point in giving her a vaccine against it when she will now be immune. A lot of information I have found (from the NHS) suggests that the single vaccines aren't licensed for use in the UK - is this wrong? (sorry to hijack!)

Don't worry about starting a debate on vaccines here hon, we've had some very civil discussions on the subject recently!

I was also looking into the single vaccines and from what I could see, they're not licensed anymore and getting the mumps one is like getting a hens tooth. So because of that we'll probably end up going with the mmr but delay it until 18 months at least.

Tacey - you are right, single vaccines aren't licensed in the uk

"The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the body responsible for issuing licences for the manufacture and sale of vaccines in the UK and also for issuing licences for the importation of vaccines into the UK.

The measles, mumps and rubella as single vaccines are unlicensed for manufacture and sale in the UK.

However, single vaccines are manufactured in Europe and the USA and are licensed to be imported into the UK by the MHRA. The manufacturer of these vaccines is responsible for their efficacy and safety under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, subject to them being stored and administered correctly."

Basically the governement support the MMR so they wont allow single vaccines to be made here BUT they are made and used in europe and the US so dont let the 'unlicensed' bit put you off totally!

xxx

Freya, who did you contact about availability etc of mumps and getting LO sorted out for the single vaccines?

Lu - I looked at my nearest provider of single vaccines. Which I got from this link https://www.jabs.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=762 looked at the website, then spoke to the doctor on the phone. She told me about the mumps vaccine situation to make sure I still wanted to go ahead.

x

Thanks. Looks like about £500 for the single vaccines in the place near me, does that sound about right?

glad this question has been asked as it is something we are considering, will bookmark the site, thankyou

I think the price varies lu. For me the measles jab cost £95, the rubella will cost the same. I think mumps vax would have been slightly more anyway but just about £300 in all. (under £200 for the two jabs for me if I dont get to find any mumps vax) Spaced out by 8 weeks in between jabs to let the body fight and get back to normal - which helps financially too!

Thanks Freya. Just heard back from the place near to us though and no mumps :( Back to the MMR :hissy:

Can I just ask, if you go the MMR route, what is the benefit of delaying the jabs until LO is older? This is all really helpful info girls, thanks, :)

It's because the measles jab is more likely to work after 15 months.

Mommyof3co gave me this link when I was looking into it and I found it useful : https://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/MMR.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->