Sitting in front of fireplace a concern? (heat)

MrsE7

Reaction score
Last night we went to a friends house. It was pretty chilly in their living room so I sat on the hearth right in front of the gas fireplace. My back was to the fire, and at the time I didn't really think anything of it. I wasn't sweating or anything, but after awhile I moved, because I started wondering if it is as damaging as hot tubs, saunas, etc. I felt how hot the back of my shirt had gotten, and I have been in a panic ever since. I am only about 4-5 weeks pregnant. Do you all think sitting right in front of the fire is as concerning as hot tubs, etc since the front of my body was still exposed to room air and able to sweat if needed (unlike in a hot tub)??

if you werent uncomfortable, your baby will be fine :] xxx

I agree. Hot tubs and saunas can be bad because they heat your whole body and thereby raise your core temperature. If only your back was hot and your front, arms, legs etc were cooler, then your body would have balanced out the heat and your core temperature more than likely didn't raise at all. So I wouldn't worry at all!

P.S.: While I'd definitely avoid hot tubs and saunas, even one time in one of them provably wouldn't have done any damage. So try not to worry!

Sorry to butt in but do you think this is the same for heated car seats?? I did have mine on full until I found out I was pregnant but since finding out have turned it down. I love having it on full but keep the rest of the car cool (even with the snow!!)

Thanks ladies!!

Xxxx

Noooo course they're fine!! Anything that makes you feel dizzy, queasy and shaky with heat (like a sauna) is best avoided. Behind that, you're fine! Babies are designed to survive in the womb xx

Noooo course they're fine!! Anything that makes you feel dizzy, queasy and shaky with heat (like a sauna) is best avoided. Behind that, you're fine! Babies are designed to survive in the womb xx

Thanks, I love a hot bott lol

H and h 9months girls!!

Xxxx

Lol no worries! I have been paranoid about heat exposure so I appreciate the question about heated seats too. Thank you all so much for your words of reassurance. Wishing you all the best!

God they were my lifesaver when I was preggo with my son and all fat and achey. I'd have the air con on ice cold and full blast, and the seat roasting hot on my poor achey back. Ahhhhhh bloody lovely!

I live in FL and the whole summer I was pregnant I was at the beach or kayaking. Didnt harm my daughter.

Hello. I know this is an old post. I found it via google search and I'm in a similar boat and I was wondering if everything turned out okay. I would love to hear any feedback. Thanks!

I don't think that would be an issue. The heat dissipates quickly within your skin, even if your back feels hot. (Even my cell phone, I noted last night, when I took a video of our own fire place, the back was hot after 45 seconds but the front of it was fine - baby is much deeper in you than a quarter inch:)) Basically unless it was enough to raise your body temperature way beyond where it should be (think high fever), I think everything will be fine :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->