Skin rash due to contact with milk

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
Eric (year old) is boobie fed and has formula when Im out in the evening (not often). He has cows milk in cereal (but not much, just to soften it), and we have been trying him on a bottle of cows milk as he starts nursery soon and they will offer this. We have found that if he gets spilled milk on his skin he gets a rash (like a stinging nettle rash). He used to get this as well when he got porridge on his skin (mixed with milk), but I assumed it was just the food that was irritating him, and not necessarily the milk. He had a sore bum too yesterday, and that was when he had a small amount of milk from a bottle.

Do you think he is intolerant to milk, or allergic? I have not had any experience with food intolerance before so am clueless. Would you cut out cows milk and switch to soya/something else or seek opinion from a GP?

Thanks! :flower:

I was going to answer this when I saw it this morning but didn't really think my answer would be useful but I will type what I was going to after your cheeky hump :haha:

My LO has (had) CMPI but he sort of outgrew it when he was a year old (he's 18 months now) but even now still if cows milk touches his skin he gets a bit of a rash (not serious though).

If I was you and the reaction is not too severe and he does not seem bothered by it would probably personally not bother getting it checked by the GP, they are so reluctant to diagnose allergies I'd probably just offer alternatives (soya yogurts, nut milks etc) but keep trying cows milk every now and then.

The only way they really diagnose cmpi (in my experience anyways and could be different everywhere else) is by eliminating cows milk.

I was going to answer this when I saw it this morning but didn't really think my answer would be useful but I will type what I was going to after your cheeky hump :haha:

My LO has (had) CMPI but he sort of outgrew it when he was a year old (he's 18 months now) but even now still if cows milk touches his skin he gets a bit of a rash (not serious though).

If I was you and the reaction is not too severe and he does not seem bothered by it would probably personally not bother getting it checked by the GP, they are so reluctant to diagnose allergies I'd probably just offer alternatives (soya yogurts, nut milks etc) but keep trying cows milk every now and then.

The only way they really diagnose cmpi (in my experience anyways and could be different everywhere else) is by eliminating cows milk.

Thank you for your reply! I probably wouldnt have gone to the Drs about it, as you are right about the reluctance to diagnose allergies. This happened a few months ago, and I still kept giving milk in cereals etc in the hope it would "right itself". Do you think I should still give it in bottles? (Do you think it would hurt his stomach? Hes not a whingey sort so I havent noticed this). :flower:

This happened to us, her entire face would go red and bumpy from drinking milk, we cut out all dairy for 3 months then did a gradual reintroduction now she is fine :) I'd go to the gp as we were referred to a paediatric dietician to help with reintroduction :)

Thank you for your reply! I probably wouldnt have gone to the Drs about it, as you are right about the reluctance to diagnose allergies. This happened a few months ago, and I still kept giving milk in cereals etc in the hope it would "right itself". Do you think I should still give it in bottles? (Do you think it would hurt his stomach? Hes not a whingey sort so I havent noticed this). :flower:

If I was you I'd probably try the cow's milk and see how he gets on with it. You'll know if it's upsetting him in any way ... if it is you can try an alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->