Skin to skin.......how long?

sue_88

Reaction score
1 hour, 2 hours, more....?

My mum dad & sister will be in the house when Millie is born and they will want to hold her (and i want them too!) after skin to skin but how long is realistic for me to hold her first to get a first latch aswell?

What's your previous experience been like before the next person had a hold?

I had around 15-20 mins straight after birth as opted for delayed cord cutting then hubby held baby while i delivered placenta then i had baby back for a feed for prob 10 mins then we dressed her but was only me hubby and 1st born at home for 1st 24hrs.

I probably did about an hour with my girl. Hubby had a quick hold and then I held her and did a first feed as well. I just didn't want to let go as I enjoyed holding her sooooooo much! :)

I didnt get to hold him first as had EMCS... prob 40 minutes before I got a hold. Even after that my hubby held him and then our mums visited. An once Hubby went home he slept in the cot as I was so numb from the spinal block I could really sit up. But its not afffected our bond. Do what feels right at the time. If you dont want anyone else to hold him for a hour or two or three then fine (with exception of OH as baby is his too). Your family will get plenty of cuddles later so do what feels right.

Thanks everyone.

I don't have an OH so there wont be anyone but me, mum, dad and sister there who have been invited by me to the birth so of course I want them to hold her.

But I want to make sure we have a really good skin to skin bonding and first feed before I let someone else have her (I will be having the baby at home).

I just want to make sure that I have mentioned to them before the time that I will be attempting so many mins / hours of skin to skin before I give her up for snuggles elsewhere.

I am going to ask my mum if she would like to be the first to dress her.

Thanks everyone.

I don't have an OH so there wont be anyone but me, mum, dad and sister there who have been invited by me to the birth so of course I want them to hold her.

But I want to make sure we have a really good skin to skin bonding and first feed before I let someone else have her (I will be having the baby at home).

I just want to make sure that I have mentioned to them before the time that I will be attempting so many mins / hours of skin to skin before I give her up for snuggles elsewhere.

Perhaps tell them you want this skin to skin time and a bf before anyone else holds her. Dont need to put a time on it. Perhaps ask them not to ask for a cuddle and that you will offer her to them once you are ready. I'm sure they must feel really privalidged to be at the birth and will understand. Then you dont feel you have set yourself a time limit.

Thanks everyone.

Perhaps tell them you want this skin to skin time and a bf before anyone else holds her. Dont need to put a time on it. Perhaps ask them not to ask for a cuddle and that you will offer her to them once you are ready. I'm sure they must feel really privalidged to be at the birth and will understand. Then you dont feel you have set yourself a time limit.

Yes that is a good idea. I don't think they would ask for a cuddle to be honest, well my mum might. She's super excited about being a first time grandma :)

It's all going to be written into my birth plan, which I intend on having my mum read through & have a copy so that she knows all my wishes in case I go into a zone or need to go into hospital at some point.

So she will see that I will be having skin to skin, first feed etc so I might put it into there that only after this has all happened that I dont mind if the baby is taken (weighed, clothed, cuddled etc). THen I haven't set a time.

I can see them all there with their watches on timer :haha: lol

I'd play it by ear- you need to make sure you get all the time you want with Lo, and Lo wants with you! I think I had about 45 minutes of skin to skin with DS before delivering the placenta and then going for surgery, DH then held him and then i got him back once I was out. Did not want to let go!

The more skin to skin baby gets the better though thats not restricted to just you. Skin to skin with nan is great too.

When im not holding baby he will be on my husbands chest. If your mum is comfortable with it then it would be lovely for baby to snuggle under her top while you have a shower etc.

Baby feeding very quickly after birth will help with the placenta coming out. Though W was a pickle and refused to latch for the first hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->