Sleep apnea? Tongue tie??

moomoo

Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!
Reaction score
Do any of your LOs suffer from this, our little boy has a tightly tethered tongue tie, and snores. He wakes up every day tired, as though he's not slept when in fact he's slept for 12-13 hours? :shrug:

He's extremely inattentive all day, and is incredibly hyperactive and irritable... Which would make sense if he's not getting enough sleep!

We are seeing his speech therapist on the 26th as he's still having drooling and messy eating issues, and also refluxing (he's over 4) We are having trouble getting *anyone* to examine his mouth despite huge problems, we will probably have to pay privately to get his tongue cut :nope:

Anyone else been or going through similar? I'm struggling to cope if I'm honest :cry:

Sorry i cant give any advice regarding his sleeping. My dd has a tongue tie which wasnt picked up until she was around 1yr old. I was just wondering how his speech is. My dd is 20 months and doesnt speak yet, her hv/doctor wont refer to speech therapy until she is around 30 months.

I wish I had a definitive answer for you given your DS's age.

My DGD (2 yo today) had a posterior tongue tie that was diagnosed when she was in NICU at age 2 weeks. She was in NICU due to her heart rate being low (80s) and her lips were turning blue. After tons of tests and a sleep study, turned out she had apnea (central and obstructive). She wore a monitor until she was 14 months old. My DD had a heck of a time finding an ENT to surgically correct the tie - DGD was 4 months old. During that wait, she was unable to latch onto the breast, so BFing went out the window. DD tried to get her to start again, but she would not.

I think a sleep study should be done on your DS to see if he has apnea. Since my DGD had mixed apnea - even with her tongue tie problem being resolved, she still had apnea episodes - because of the central apnea, which she seems to have outgrown at this point.

The refluxing is a whole different issue. I would suggest a GI doc for that.

Please KUP...

It is so ridiculous that the NHS won't help you with this when it could make such a difference to his life :(.

Thanks ladies, we ended up getting a referral to the hospital via his dentist :) :thumbup:

I know this is an old thread, but how did things turn out?

Mama of a 2 year old tongue tied boy who had breathing difficulties in his sleep, fishing for similar situations!

My 7 year old is having her TT cut today!

She doesnt have any of those issues though. Has enlarged tonsils been ruled out? That causes apnea. My middle child has big tonsils and dribbles a lot. Her tongue is totally free though.

Thomas has all of this, but nothing wrong with his mouth, he has ASD and ADHD. He's always snored, been moody and had a lack of concentration since he was maybe...3?

My middle child also has a lot of sensory issues.

My eldest had her tt cut successfully today, she is so happy to be able to move her tongue! Get the tt done irrespective, I took my daughter to gp and stressed how odd her tongue looked, swallowing issues, chewing issues and the fact she wouldn’t be able to kiss properly when she is older! NHS agreed with no issues (I’m Northamptonshire)

My son had his tongue tie cut a week ago yesterday so that's already been taken care of but he was in hospital on Wednesday with breathing difficulties while he was sleeping, then as soon as we got to the hospital and he woke up he was absolutely fine. This has been going on for about 18 months now 😞

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->