Sleeping on my back

Emmymommy

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I try not to be too paranoid about all the hundreds of things I'm not supposed to do, but since my bump is getting bigger and my lower back is getting sore, I figured I should at least TRY to avoid sleeping on my back. I find even if I fall asleep on my side, I often wake up and I'm on my back. I tried putting pillows right up against my back this week and have still ended up pushing them away and lying on my back, rolling over onto them and ending up on my back, or finding them on the floor in the morning somehow :)

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions that have worked for them? Any particular pregnancy pillows that helped avoid back sleeping? I'm finding my hips are hurting from all this side sleeping too, so any suggestions are appreciated!

I don't have a lot of tips or tricks for staying on your back, but I can tell you that in my first pregnancy by the time it became super uncomfortable to lie on my back, I stopped having the problem where I would randomly wake up on my back. I think my body just knew when it wasn't healthy anymore.

I'm a tummy sleeper naturally, and my body just thinks that's how it's supposed to be. However, in the last two weeks, I've been waking up on my back too. I ended up piling pillows behind my head so if I end up that way, at least I'm not flat

No other tricks I can offer unless you want to invest in one of those long pregnancy pillow things but I've been getting the hip pain too from side sleeping, and they say putting a pillow inbetween your legs helps, I know it does for me...also on the back sleeping thing I've always been told that as long as you're not purposely sleeping on your back and you just wake up and find yourself on your back, it really shouldn't be too big of a concern, like one of the pp said-your body will usually do something if it's hurting you/baby

I struggled at first, kept getting the hip pain and ending up on my back. It may just take time. I don't often wake up on my back any more. I just can't wait to sleep on my back and front again!

During my first I was paranoid about not sleeping on my back. I would use a maternity long pillow(5ft) then 4 other pillows one between my knees under belly, behind back under chin. God, it was a hassle especially to turn in the night and rearrange all the bloody pillows to get comfy again.
This time I find it comfier sleeping on my back. I sleep slightly sat up. (maybe I'm wrong for doing this, but comfort is a must) I have my maternity pillow in a 'V' shape and three pillows on top of it so I'm laid against them with maternity pillow around my hips. It's so comfy and I can turn either side during the night no problem, if I want to. But when the aches start I'm straight bk on my back
My poor oh has barely and room left in our bed (and it's kingsize) but I get a good night sleep
Lol hope this helps

Thanks ladies and you make some good points! I lol'd at a few comments as they're just to familiar!! I mentioned it to my husband and his response to why the pillows up against my back lying on my side aren't working he said "because they're mostly just on my face" lol!!

I'll try some regular pillows in different places and give in to a big maternity pillow if need be. But it's a good point that my body knows what to do!

I've been trying to switch to side sleeping in advance (since hitting the second trimester) and I've only started to get it right since getting a new mattress (something we needed to do pre-pregnancy and had been putting off for a couple years). I tried a body pillow first and it didn't help at all. Actually, I think it made me more uncomfortable... We got one of those hybrid tempur-pedic/coil mattresses and it's done wonders for my sleep and I usually stay on my side if I manage to fall asleep on it.

Obviously, a new mattress isn't the most helpful solution.... but I have also heard that if you really, really can't sleep on your sides, it's okay to sleep on your back in a recliner as long as you're not laid too far back. (As for how far is too far, you'd probably want to ask you OB or MW.)

Sleeping on my back makes me really nervous because whenever it happens I wake up and my hand is usually a little numb/tingly so I feel like it is really compressing things. I bought a leachco body pillow in a C shape and its been working really well so far. I tuck it under my back on one side and just rest against it so that my hips are at an angle. It takes the pressure off my hips and so far has prevented me from waking up on my back. I hope you find something that works for you soon!

Thanks! The pillow between the legs seemed to help last night for both hip pain and sleeping on my back (as it would be uncomfortable to sleep on my back with a pillow between my legs)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->