Sleeping

goldlion

Mommy
Reaction score
Aspen is a fantastic sleeper--- she sleeping soundly and for good intervals... the only problem is that she has to fall asleep on us. If she gets sleepy or isn't in a deep sleep and we put her in her crib or bassinet she starts to cry for cuddles and as soon as she's back on us she's fast asleep. Sometimes we have to wait until we hear deep breathing or snoring before we can put her back on her own and in the middle of the night this can take forever.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make her more comfortable to sleep on her own? Is it maybe my fault for cuddling her so often in the day or will she just grow out of this phase?

I can't really give any advice but my 6 week old is the same - it's annoying cos he can be asleep on us and then wakes up when you try to put him down. The only thing I've read is that you need to just put them down in their cot and let them cry for a bit instead of picking them up but Jacob would just get too worked up and I know he wouldn't calm down and fall asleep. So we've decided to just stick with cuddling to sleep until he grows out of it. It does take a long time but I think leaving him in a cot would take longer! I think that expecting babies to sleep on their own is a bit too much pressure - some babies just won't do it until they're older. Hope she gets better at sleeping for you!

You just gotta start trying to get into a routine of them going to sleep alone ,

my 1st was like that had to be rocked to sleep and I hated it when I started trying to get him out of it he would get really upset :( but you gotta persevere, my 2nd was much the same......... I didnt learn:dohh:

This time has been different tho.... I have dealt with it straight away by getting her to sleep in her cot without being held, I put her down awake and she goes off herself :D and has been doin that since around 2-3 weeks.

What I did was put the baby down and if she wakes leave her a little while but if she is really upset give her a cuddle to settle her then put her straight back down , and keep doing that till she sleeps, it takes time but eventually they realise your not going to hold them for ages and they learn to sleep on their own.

Hope it gets better soon

have you tried swaddling? It makes them feel more secure, the weather is hot at the mo tho, so a thin blanky would be needed as swaddling can make bubbs hot

Juleika was exactly the same and I put so much effort into getting her used to the cot!

finally we managed to get her to sleep in the cot, by lying her inside when she was in deep sleep (you can lift her arm and see if it falls down all floppy)! but then she got this very badly itching rash, which turned out to be a bad eczema flare up, where she woke up with about every hour at night!
getting her back into deep sleep to put her back in the cot afterwards again, took so much of my own sleep that I got so sleep deprivated that she was ending up in our bed what she got used to now!

now, we want to try to get her to fall asleep in the cot, not sure whether this will work out though!!!

She will probably grow out of it..we had the same problem with Oliver and thought he'd never grow out of it! But by 3months he was happy to go sleep on his own. Good luck hun, still early days. xx

Colton is the same & we cosleep!! I have to hold him until he is in a deep sleep..
I would suggest getting her to sleep on her own however you can. Colton is so spoiled already that I cannot put him down to go to the bathroom! I used to cuddle him lots when he was young and i just regret it. I love cuddling him and still do, but I wish I hadn't done it sooooo much!
He is two months old now (almost) and wont do anything.. he isn't even holding his head up when he is laying down. He just screams and cries the whole time. I know he has to lay down though, otherwise he will get behind on his development. but I feel bad because I know its my fault and now I just pick him up because I dont like seeing him upset and knowing its my fault.
Again I would suggest getting her to sleep sooner than later because the longer you wait the harder it probably will be.

I swaddle Anna in her blanket and give her minimal skin contact - she often goes straight off into basket with no bother... if she sleeps on Tasha, she'll get that whiff of milk and poor Tasha is stuffed...

Consequently, more often than not, Anna will sleep 4 hours or so if she's be swaddled first... unless she's just been fed, when she'll sleep for 4hours on Tasha's front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->