Slow Foetal Heartbeat

sophian

Reaction score
Heres my story - I am 34 and been TTC for 2 years in which time I have suffered a chemical pregnancy and a missed miscarriage. On a better note, I have recently tested positive for pregnancy and am currently around 6 or 7 weeks pregnant.

I had a scan one week ago at the NHS EPU, where to my joy they found a heartbeat, too small to measure but definitely there and a 3mm foetal pole. They dated the pregnancy at 5 weeks 4 days, slightly earlier than I had assumed but the doctor felt everything was progressing normally and there was nothing to be concerned about

Despite being really really happy we did not tell anyone - mainly because I wanted to get past the anniversary of the last miscarriage. So, to be sure everything was growing normally I booked a Babybond scan one week after the NHS scan and the news is not good. The baby is only measuring 4mm CRL, so only 1mm growth in a week and the heartbeat is a sluggish 81bpm.

I am struggling to cope with this news but am trying to stay positive. My doctor says I need to wait it out for a further scan in 10 days - his view was much more positive than I expected saying private sonographers may not be as well trained as the NHS and the difference in measurements could be significant at such an early stage.

My biggest concern is that, apart from my doctors measured view, all internet research of slow foetal heartbeats and foetal poles indicates this is a doomed pregnancy.

Does anyone have view as to whether I should be prepare myself for the worst or positive stories to keep me going?

Thanks in advance for any help

i didnt want to read and run and it must b a great shock to you, but you got to stay possitive, internet is a bad place to give you nagative thoughts when you read up . . in my pregnancy book it says a fetal hb will start its life as a 80bpm hate rate... now your 81 that give you a little over advantage, you baby is slowly progressing bt hun it might have a super big spurt b4 10 days! now look i had my scan at 6 week (roughly) to small to measure it was 3mm i was heart broken and thought i was loosing my little 1 .. i had to return again because of bleeding i was expecting the worst as my little baby wasnt growing to my dates! but what a shock it had and was then 15 mm it simply had this unbelieveable spurt of growth .. try stay postive and stop using google lol its a bad thing to use :hugs: xxxx

I had a scan at 5.6 days (roughly) fetal pole measured 2mm heartbeat seen but dunno what it was

Just a little that I have read. A fetal pole can measure approx 5mm at 6weeks and 5 days. HB are not always present at even 7 weeks, but the presecence of a hb is more important than the rate this early on.

When I was 5+6 I was measured at 2.3mm. You have measured bigger than I was yet have been dated earlier! My dates have not changed by a single day at all by measurements (oh and my measurements are also slightly smaller than average) It is all guess work seriously hun. I would think you are nearer 6 weeks than 7 is my personal opinion.

I think maybe you are just a few days behind hopefully x x x

Thanks so much for posting - it is the first time, after 2 miscarriages I have ever moved from forum lurker to actual poster & I am pleased I did.

I will post again after my eternity of a 10 day wait and hope that I have good news.

Thanks again ladies

Hi so piano I know this was a long time ago but how did things turn out? I am in a similar but maybe slightly worse as hb is only 50bpm and I can't see any updates or outcomes for anyone who's pregnancies started in this way

Hi sophian I know this was a long time ago but how did things turn out? I am in a similar but maybe slightly worse as hb is only 50bpm and I can't see any updates or outcomes for anyone who's pregnancies started in this way

Hi emmalt85, so sorry you are going through this. I am in a similar position.. I had a scan last week and baby is measuring around a week behind going by my dates with a slow HR. They didn't say exactly what it was though. I am just hoping and praying that my dates are wrong and this wee ones heart had just started beating. I have my next scan tomorrow- it can't come soon enough! I'll let you know how it goes.
I hope you're okay, I know how worrying this is, especially after reading around the internet. We both just need to try and stay hopeful. When is your next scan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->