SMA Guidelines for a 4 month old?

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
On the SMA packet it says a 4 month old should be roughly having 8oz's FIVE times a day?

Thats like 40oz of milk a day :shock: I know its only a guideline but that seem a lot to me?

Does anyone elses LO drink anywhere near that at 4 months old?

I have just counted up what Logan has had in the last 24 hours and he has taken 24oz and thats alot for him !

I think he would burst if he had that much !

I think Claire drinks about 35oz... Yeah, 5 7oz bottles a day. She's been having this since she was a little over 2 months old though. I tried upping her to 8oz but she kept bringing up part of the bottle after finishing it so I went back down to 7oz.

8oz 5 times a day seems like alot! :rofl:

We are on 5 7oz bottles a day and a bit of rice/puree and thats her full to the brim :rofl:

Wow I've just put a bit about this in my parenting journal, and was gonna post on here too, but for the opposite reason. We have aptamil which recommends 5 oz 5 times a day whihc addas up to 25 oz in 2 hrs, well little missy is quite happily gobbling up 6-7 5 oz bottles a day (24 hr period) thats 30-35 oz a day, which I was wondering if was too much and should I be moving her to hugry baby milk.

Olivia is only five weeks old!

Wow I've just put a bit about this in my parenting journal, and was gonna post on here too, but for the opposite reason. We have aptamil which recommends 5 oz 5 times a day whihc addas up to 25 oz in 2 hrs, well little missy is quite happily gobbling up 6-7 5 oz bottles a day (24 hr period) thats 30-35 oz a day, which I was wondering if was too much and should I be moving her to hugry baby milk.

Olivia is only five weeks old!

Oh wow 30 - 35 oz is a fair bit for 5 weeks old!!

Yeah but she's still so dinky too! I was wondering about over feeding her but didnt worry too much as was only one or two extra feeds to recommended. Perhaps I should outher on hungry baby milk, hmmmm NOT sure??

Lexie is on 4 6-7 oz feeds plus breakfast, dinner and pudding! Checked with the hv today and she has said with 2 solid meals they should be having at least 20 oz.

Rosie has 6x 6 oz bottles so thats 36oz. she is a big baby very tall :D

Yeah but she's still so dinky too! I was wondering about over feeding her but didnt worry too much as was only one or two extra feeds to recommended. Perhaps I should outher on hungry baby milk, hmmmm NOT sure??

Hey hun, i had to put Lexie onto hungry baby milk at around 6 weeks. The advise that the hv gave me was that if she wouldn't take anymore milk in oz's but was clearly still hungry then to move to the hungry baby milk. The only way i could describe when i had to change Lexie was, that her tummy was to small to fit in anymore oz's so i couldn't increase the amount but she was still hungry. xx

I wouldn't say that as such, I mean she takes her 5 oz and gives up wind reasonably well. Then she dozes off to sleep well most of the time. So it seems to fill her up but then she needs another bottle four hours later, sometimes three. Which I thought was ok but it seems she shld only be having 5 oz bottles every five hours???

I put my son onto hungry baby milk two weeks after going onto froumla so he wld of been 7-8 weeks I think but I can't tell you why I did it, I just knew. Mind he still drank 9 oz of hungry baby milk by fve months, lol. I wish I cld remember, but I just did it myself cldn't even say how I knew. But he pbvs needed it, again wasn't chubby baby at all.

Sorry for the hi-jacking p-p.

Liam is 10 weeks old and has around 4 x 6 oz bottles a day plus breast

Kaysie Blossom was on 6ozs five times a day so 30ozs in 24 hours at 4 months. I think they go on average weight for a four month old and then decide what it should be from that, so if your four month old is bigger or smaller than the average, then they may need/want more or less, hope that makes sense?

Lissa is 3 months and sometimes has 5 x 8oz bottles a day. Most of the time though she leaves an oz at the bottom, so its very rare she drinks the whole 5 x 8 in fact she probably never has had all 5 I just put 8 in the bottle!(she doesn't have rice/cereal) Alot of the time we have 4 bottles a day which is nice. I was told its just a guideline and to feed baby what they want.
Incidentally we have just moved to hungry baby once a day to try cut her down, although her weight is fine in conjunction with her length as we are going to have a tall baba.

i wouldn't worry about guidelines hon after all thats all they are xx

you know her and you know if shes still hungry or is content xx

i have no idea how much Fred has a day, im still doing a few BFeeds and the rest i give him him a 7oz bottle, sometimes he just has half sometimes he drains it! he's a happy chap and his weight gain is consistant and he sleeps well so thats all im bothered about xxx

its hard not to get caught up in 'guidelines' i know, im only just this last week relaxing about feeding! they are all different thats for sure xxx

Seren's nearly 5months and has 4x 7oz bottles and finishes them so that's 28oz a day.
She also has some baby rice at lunch time.

I wouldn't worry about the time gap in between. This is why the hv's advise to demand feed. Lexie was only ever going 3 hours between feeds in the day up until about 3 weeks ago! (and that was with hungry baby milk!)
I would personally say that 3-4 hour gap for a 5 week old is quite good.
xxxxxxx

archie was on 6 x 5oz bottle a day at 5 weeks at 10 weeks hes on 5 x 5oz...i wouldnt worry too much about overfeeding her as she will only take what she wants

hungrier baby milk is suitable from birth so you could give her a try on that but tbh archie still too the same of that too

Jack takes 30-35 oz a day and is 7 weeks old, he's been on this since about 5 weeks so I wouldn't worry, every baby is different and Brooke is getting baby rice as well, You can include the milk you use to make the rice in her days total too.

She's not that far off the guidelines anyway hun, it's only 5 oz and the guidlines don't take into account when you start to wean

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->