Small HC at 32 week ultrasound

sperabo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? We had an ultrasound at 32 weeks and were not able to get in to see the dr and therefore get results until today, at 35 weeks. When I went to the dr, I was told that another ultrasound would be needed next week (at 36 weeks) because the baby's head is measuring small. Her body is measuring as it should, but at the 32 week ultrasound, her head size was in the 3rd percentile. I was told not to worry, as the she wasn't technically in the severe category (>2) but that she does need to be monitored and her growth needs to be checked to make sure that she is growing as she should from 32 weeks to 36 weeks. Of course, I can't help but worry. I asked questions like "what does this mean?" "What if she hasn't grown, what do we do?" I was told that nothing could be determined until the ultrasound in a week.

Has anyone had this experience? What ultimately happened? I can't stop worrying that something is seriously wrong.

I'm so sorry you are going through this :( I haven't been through this exact thing but I have had terrible scares in previous ultrasounds.... Such as multiple markers for downs and my son came out fine! And this one a heart defect in one ultrasound but nothing found in the next...... I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer for you :( but I can say this much..... Try your best NOT to google it.....try to keep busy and distracted as this may be the longest week of your life..... Usually they have to tell you every thing and make u worry like crazy even if there's a slim chance to none that their findings are true.... And it's torturous and completely unfair:( I would think they would induce by 34-36 wks if baby wasn't growing right ? My friend had twins and one baby was measuring way behind so they induced weeks early because they said he would do much better growing outside of the womb ..... Not sure if ur situation is the same but seems a bit similar? Wishing you the best of luck.... Hang in there!!

Thank you for the reply! It helps! They wouldn't tell me anything which caused me to immediately google once I got to the car. I am trying to tell myself that if something was horribly wrong, they would have called me and had me in sooner. Or if it was something horrible that they would have sent me to get an ultrasound tomorrow rather than waiting a week. They had the results of the ultrasound three weeks ago and never notified me of anything until I sat down in the office today. I would hope they would have contacted me to see me sooner had it been a huge issue. At least that is what I am telling myself so I don't completely freak out. :-(

Oh I agree 110%..... Definitely..... When they found the heart defect the called me first thing the following morning..... It's probably more of a precaution.... Even if baby is measuring small maybe all it's just simply time to come out soon to strive better that way , not necessarily a horrible thing.... As long as you make it to 34 wks baby should be just fine born that early also :) try to think positive thoughts only and save your energy for worrying when and ONLY when you absolutely NEED to..... Tell yourself worrying isn't healthy for the baby, that always gives me a guilt trip and helps me settle down lol

Thank you so much! If I could hug you now, I would! Your words have been calming for me!

Different angles can cause different measurements too. I had a growth scan a couple of weeks ago and bubby's head was measuring small. However baby was in the breech position at the time and the obstetrician said the angle of the shot can cause measurements that aren't necessarily accurate.

Thank you! She was already head down for the ultrasound, but I am sure there is still a chance a mistake was made. I know I won't know anything remotely close to definitive until next week, but it is going to be a long week. Plus there was nothing abnormal up to this point, so I was completely caught off guard.

At my 20week scan, there was a concern about my baby's head being small, we got sent to the anti natal clinic to see a screening midwife who wasn't there! So had no answers either. She called the day after and said at the next scan they needed to measure abdomen. Rescanned a week later and the lady who scanned me that day said she was measuring ok she's just a small baby. Also had growth scan at 36weeks an no more concerns.
The consultant also said she is on the smaller side of average.
It's so hard not to worry and have things going through your mind, but googeling doesn't help.

I agree with pp, worry only when you need to. After a couple of days I stopped worrying so much until the day of the rescan, as worrying just takes it out of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->