Smear test panic!

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for advice/experiences. I had an abnormal smear test over 10 years ago, had treatment and regular tests since then and all have been clear. I had my last smear about 2 and a half years ago after my dd was born. I've been called since but because I've had back to back pregnancy's and losses since last April I haven't been able to have a test (you have to wait 12 weeks after pregnancy)

I'm now pregnant again and freaking out. Really paranoid because I've not had a test since then. I used to have tests annually but I think that period must've gone up after 10 years? If this pregnancy works out then I won't be able to have a test until July next year so 3 and a half years since my last test.
Has anyone had a test whilst pregnant? Is it safe?? I've read they don't test during pregnancy because hormones can cause abnormal results but I'd rather a false abnormal result than there being a problem and not knowing.

Am I just being paranoid and hormonal? What would you do??

Thanks all xxx

I used to have abnormal smears myself and was only signed off the colposcopy consultant in 2011. I received a call for a smear about 4 days before my BFP so I didn't get round to having an appointment booked. I have to be honest, it played on my mind for a bit and I did have a dream the one night about being diagnoses with the big C and having to choose between my life and the baby's. It was awful. :(
I feel ok about not having one now but if you're really worried, speak to the dr to see what he says? That's all you can do really Hun. I'm personally going to wait until after the baby is born x

I have them during pregnancy. All 3 trimesters. Aside from some cramping and a few spots of blood nothing has happened to bubby.

I had one too when I found out I was pregnant with this one.... Right after the positive test they did one because I told them I was way over due.

I got a test done while pregnant with my son. I don't remember how far along I was, however it came back with abnormal cells on my cervix. I opted to wait until after he was born, for the obvious risk of miscarriage. I had a pap done again at 6 weeks pp with the same results...luckily it didn't get worse, but I went in for my LEEP shortly after.

My ob requires one during pregnancy if I don't have a current one.

I didn't get my first abnormal result until after my son was about 2 1/2-3 years old (tests before that, and while I was pregnant with him were all normal). He is 11 now. I have had 4 LEEP's since. My last abnormal and LEEP was back in Sept of 2011. I found out I was pregnant in March of this year. I hadn't been back to the doctor since 9/2011, and before that it had been since March of 2008 (I moved, and never put an effort into finding a new doctor). Anyway, I was worried about having another abnormal, and figure it would be, as I was diagnosed with HPV back when I had my very first abnormal. This test back in April of this year came back normal. I was shocked. But we'll see how it goes after this LO is born.

It's crazy, in America it seems to be a standard part of postnatal care but they flatly refuse to do it here. I asked for one after my late loss in March but they said I had to wait 12 weeks and now I'm pregnant again! I think I might go and mither my dr again. Thanks ladies xx

I just got my letter through as well. I looked it up on the NHS website and it said they don't offer smear tests while pregnant apart from in certain circumstances; I'm pretty sure one of those circumstances was a history of abnormal smears. I have never had an abnormal result so my Dr said to leave it until 12 weeks after delivery but this still makes me nervous. I requested an early one back at the start of the year as I knew we would be TTC and so there would be a chance I would miss out on my regular one but they wouldn't give it to me. I would certainly go back to your Dr.

It's standard to have one during pregnancy at my doctors office. They do it at your 8 week appointment and then again 6 weeks pp.

I had abnormal result in 2011 after my ds1 was born and had leep procedure I then got pregnant with ds2 so ended up having my yearly check late it was fine I'm also due another in September but I'm pregnant again and not due till Feb so I will wait last time my doctors refused to do while pregnant even though had had previous abnormal result they said the extra few months wouldn't make much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->