Smiling babies/happy babies and breast feeding?

Juicyg

Reaction score
So I have a 6 week old and a couple of weeks ago he started genuinely smiling, it's the best thing I've ever seen but he hardly ever does it. In fact I've hardly seen it since!

My question is:
Are breastfed babies less happy/content and therefore smile less?
I know that generally when my baby sees me or is awake all he is interested in is getting his milk!

Another question:
How old was your breastfed babies when they started to smile regularly?
It really does make it all worth it and I would like to know when I can expect to see it more frequently.

Thanks xx

my lo started smiling at 4 weeks regularly at 5 weeks. I dont think bf babies are any less content. In fact i have a friend who ff her baby and he didnt start smiling until nearly 7 weeks. was your lo early/late as this makes a difference.

My lo arrived 2 days after his due date...?
I just really want him to smile lots and he isn't yet, he almost gets upset when he sees me as all he wants is food!
You are so lucky to have had your lo smile for you from 5 weeks!

I am just desperate to see my baby boy smile!x

Don't worry. My girly didn't smile for me early on but would smile for everyone else. I think it's because we're the food source! She started smiling at 6 weeks. She now smiles loads for me so you'll soon get more! She started smiling much more around 8-10 weeks x

Millie always smiles for me. 1st 3 smiles were day 18, 23 & 26.

Then from then everyday when she sees me or I play with her. She doesn't need feeding for at least 20mins in a morning as we're playing and smiling. All I need to do is say "morning!" and off she goes all smiles.....she's just starting to try to laugh too !

Your LO loves his mummy & you'll be getting smileys soon!

I think, if you look at statistics, I would not be surprised.

I wouldn't say breastfeeding causes it, but I do think formula/bottles give more upset bellies/less nursing comfort. Gas pain and gut problems are more common with formula and bottles, so naturally more of those babies would be less happy at feeding times.

I know my formula baby always had severe belly pains. My breastfed baby has had a few bottles in his life and he always had huge/nasty burps after. He is certainly a happier camper than his brother was, that's for sure.

Mine started smiling around 5-6 weeks but mainly first thing in the morning, she's 8 weeks on wed and smiles loads more, she's been giggling today a few times too. Don't worry he will soon be smiling all the time

My DD never smiled for me and then when she started giggling, never giggled for me either, only OH!
Now, she's always laughing and smiling though. I don't think BF causes them to be less happy/content at all..

My little boy started smiling at 3 weeks and hasn't stopped from about 4 weeks, he is remarkably smiley. He was 2 weeks late though so that probably has something to do with it. X

My LO first smiled around 7 weeks. She was definitely NOT a content baby. She was so unhappy and miserable for the first 7.5 months. I don't know if it was related to breastfeeding or not. Probably not as she's still breastfed and is such a happy little person now with an amazing personality!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think as usual I have been googling things too much! Lol!
The ironic thing is today my baby boy has smiled loads! Only a couple directly at me but all of them were associated with me talking to him! Oh it melts my heart so much!

I think every baby is different and will smile at different times, my little Noah has been smiling for quite some time after feeding,I call them his milky smiles but to actually get a smile at the response of talking to him is just the most AMAZING feeling!x

I wouldn't say it is necessarily one way or the other. Both of mine were breastfed(feeding). Both started out looking concerned about the world in general. They apparently got this trait from their dad, who was making the same 'worried sick' expression in his baby photos.

First DD broke out of it into the most smiling, happy, content, peaceful baby you've ever seen. She literally lit up the room with sunshine. My little one still in arms has yet to do that. She's smiles and giggles and silly around home, but is SOOOOOO introverted. She'll even make the shy face (some mistake for mean look) at other infants. Her smiles are much harder to win - she has to be perfect EVERYTHING in order to be the sunbeam her sister was and still is. Has to be fed, but not too full, have had a nap - but not too long a nap - be ready to play, but not overplayed with... you get the idea. This one is PARTICULAR to the nth. lol I can't do anything but accept her for her and thank God in Heaven when the stars align. ;)

I will have to say that both of my girls weren't just 'serious', they were very studious. Where other babies smile and loll about, mine were taking in every detail of every room they were in - and every person. The doctors and nurses all comment(ed) on it, as well. My baby sister (a mom herself) has taken to telling me what smart kids I have because they take in the whole world. I don't know about this one yet, but it seemed to be true with my first - she's highly intelligent, and years ahead of herself mentally. So perhaps if your baby is less smiley than you hoped, pay attention - he/she could simply be absorbing and trying to understand the world around him/her. :)

My eldest was combi fed, colicky and started smiling at 9 weeks and didn't really smile regularly nor did he laugh at all until he was 4 months! Second eldest EBF and started smiling meaningfully at 2 weeks and laughing at 4 weeks. Middle son I think he was about 4 weeks and was EBF at the time-he was generally not a happy baby though as he had allergies and colic. Youngest two first smiled at about 4 weeks but with my youngest he didn't start smiling on a regular basis until 10 weeks and even then it depends what mood he is on any given day xx

My daughter wasn't a smiler, my son was, they were both breastfed :) Think it just depends on the baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->