Smoke/carbon monoxide

jenny82

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about this kinda stuff??

Basically we have a fireplace in our bedroom that's not in use but shares a chimney breast with the living room. It was discovered a few months back that fumes from the fire were getting into our bedroom as there was pretty much a massive hole in our room. There was a serious carbon monoxide issue and we couldve died! A brickie fixed up the hole, we got a carbon monoxide alarm and supposedly we could light the fire as normal.

We had the fire lit last night and now there is a really bad smoke smell in our room. Carbon monoide doesn't have a smell and our carbon monoxide alarm is still at zero so it couldn't be that, but is this still really dangerous??? We have LO in our bedroom with us.

The fire went out hours ago, I'm up to feed LO... And I can still smell smoke :/

Smoke smell lingers for ages but i would air the room, keep an eye on the CM detector and if you still worried then call the fire brigade, they will come and have a good look.

V xx

You should not be smelling smoke inside your house from your fireplace. That may indicate that something isn't vented properly. Smoke is also dangerous to inhale. Not as deadly as CO, but still not good and definitely not great for a baby. I would open a window to air out the room and get your chimney inspected as soon as possible.
Not trying to scare you, just trying to give good advice! :) :hugs:

DH is a firefighter so I asked him....he said that the smell probably came up the chimney (duh, lol), but it may need to be cleaned. Smoke isn't good to inhale, especially for LO, but if it's just a smell and not actual SMOKE then it's not bad

See, we had the chimney cleaned about 6-8 weeks ago and thats when the 'hole' was discovered. It was cleaned out so I don't understand why it smells!

Ps. our living room now smells and our bed covers - I'm going to have to change them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->