Smoke/carbon monoxide

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jenny82, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. jenny82

    jenny82 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    8,986
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does anybody know anything about this kinda stuff??

    Basically we have a fireplace in our bedroom that's not in use but shares a chimney breast with the living room. It was discovered a few months back that fumes from the fire were getting into our bedroom as there was pretty much a massive hole in our room. There was a serious carbon monoxide issue and we couldve died! A brickie fixed up the hole, we got a carbon monoxide alarm and supposedly we could light the fire as normal.

    We had the fire lit last night and now there is a really bad smoke smell in our room. Carbon monoide doesn't have a smell and our carbon monoxide alarm is still at zero so it couldn't be that, but is this still really dangerous??? We have LO in our bedroom with us.

    The fire went out hours ago, I'm up to feed LO... And I can still smell smoke :/
     
  2. v2007

    v2007 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Messages:
    28,554
    Likes Received:
    0
    Smoke smell lingers for ages but i would air the room, keep an eye on the CM detector and if you still worried then call the fire brigade, they will come and have a good look.

    V xx
     
  3. Sarahkka

    Sarahkka Mama to Two Fine Boys!

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    9,971
    Likes Received:
    0
    You should not be smelling smoke inside your house from your fireplace. That may indicate that something isn't vented properly. Smoke is also dangerous to inhale. Not as deadly as CO, but still not good and definitely not great for a baby. I would open a window to air out the room and get your chimney inspected as soon as possible.
    Not trying to scare you, just trying to give good advice! :) :hugs:
     
  4. PitBullMommy

    PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Messages:
    3,321
    Likes Received:
    0
    DH is a firefighter so I asked him....he said that the smell probably came up the chimney (duh, lol), but it may need to be cleaned. Smoke isn't good to inhale, especially for LO, but if it's just a smell and not actual SMOKE then it's not bad
     
  5. jenny82

    jenny82 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    8,986
    Likes Received:
    0
    See, we had the chimney cleaned about 6-8 weeks ago and thats when the 'hole' was discovered. It was cleaned out so I don't understand why it smells!

    Ps. our living room now smells and our bed covers - I'm going to have to change them!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice