Smoked Food while pregnant?

Maybebaby80

Reaction score
My hubby just got a food smoker!

It is basically where you put coals and wood at the bottom and it smokes the food for a few hours. It is hot smoked though so it does get cooked.

Do you think there is any need to limit the amount of smoked food I am eating? I will obviously stick to the limits of types of fish etc. (oily twice a week etc.)

Any ideas? :dohh:

I don't think there's any problems with it. If you're worried though I'd ask your midwife. I really can't see it causing an issue though as long as the food is cooked thoroughly xx

As long as the food is properly cooked you're fine. But I was surprised to learn that foods like Smoked Salmon and Parma Ham which I would have thought would have been cooked by the smoking process actually aren't :hissy:

If you are doing it yourself you will know if they are cooked or not, so lucky you it looks like you will be able to enjoy some fab food!!

The problem with smoked food is it doesn't always reach the proper temperature inside. Make sure you use a proper meat thermometer and check to make sure the internal temperature reaches the correct temp to be well done inside.

Thanks for all the replies!

As I thought, if it is cooked thoroughly then no probs but you know how us pregnant ladies like to worry about everything!

Thanks

Erm I hate to put another point of view on this............ I was told to steer clear of smoked meats unless they had been cooked by heat as well. Eg smoked fish which would then be cooked again in a pie or something.

I was told that it was the same principle as dried meats like pepperoni, parma ham and chorizo which are dried rather than cooked. And things which are "cooked" in salt.

But the other thing to remember is that all this advise wasnt around when our grandparents were pregnant and they seemed to cope ok. As my mum sez, if you listen to all of the advise you would wonder how we all survived!!

I know I'm late to the thread, but I registered for the site just to post the important information that smoked/grilled/BBQed food (even if fully cooked) is unsafe in pregnancy for other reasons.

The smoke and burnt parts contain compounds that can cause cancer (in anyone) and for pregnant women have also been associated with decreased birth weight, shorter babies, and smaller head circumference.

As a new babyandbump member, I can't post a link, but Google the article "Is Eating Barbecue Bad for Pregnant Women?" on the Washingtonian website for more information. It includes a link at the end to the original study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->