Smoking during pregnancy linked to heart disease

ShanandBoc

Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/22/3250010.htm?section=justin

Australian researchers believe they have found the first evidence that women who smoke while pregnant affect their child's cardiovascular health for years to come.

The University of Sydney study found pre-natal exposure to a mother's smoking decreased the amount of good cholesterol in children, which may increase their risk of eventual heart attacks and strokes by up to 20 per cent.

It was already common knowledge that smoking while pregnant was harmful, but even so, this study yielded more significant results than the scientists were expecting.

David Celermajer, a professor of cardiology at the University of Sydney, says he was "gobsmacked".

He and his colleagues studied 328 healthy eight-year-olds and found some bore the lingering imprint of their mother's pregnant smoking.

"Most studies suggest that if you stop smoking, eight years later a lot of your risk has reduced," he said.

"The reason we were gobsmacked is here are kids who were exposed to another person's smoke when they were growing in their mum's belly and eight years later, eight years after being removed from that ... they've still got a footprint on it," he said.

"That's the staggering part. To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever shown before that smoking [while] pregnant has a prolonged effect on body changes in offspring."

The results of the study, published today in the European Heart Journal, relied on questionnaires about the mother's smoking habits filled in shortly after the children's birth, and blood samples from the children.

The researchers found the children whose mothers reported smoking while pregnant had less high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or so-called "good cholesterol" than children whose mothers had not smoked.

HDL protects against heart disease and stroke.

The study found the smoking mother's children have 1.3 millimoles per litre of HDL compared to a more normal level of 1.5.

Professor Celermajer says the difference is "very significant".

"Heart disease remains the number one killer in Australia, so even a small increase in risk above the general population represents a massive number of people that are potentially affected," he said.

"Roughly, for every 1 per cent reduction in the good cholesterol, there's a 1 per cent increase in heart attack risk.

"And what we've found in this study is up to a 20 per cent reduction in the good cholesterol levels of these children of mums who have smoked during pregnancy ... so we postulate that they're up to 20 per cent risk higher of heart attack and stroke during their lifetimes."

Professor Celermajer said the researchers were looking to find out whether smoking in pregnancy was related to high blood pressure in children.

"And it wasn't. We also looked as to whether smoking in pregnancy actually caused the blood vessels to thicken up. And it didn't," he said.

"But we suspect that may be because these kids [are] only eight years old and that these are things that may turn out to be the case in future, but we obviously have to follow up these children longer."

Professor Celermajer says the study results are not just a wake-up call for mums-to-be, but should lead everyone to contemplate their own mothers' habits.

"For kids whose mums did smoke - and they can't wind back the clock now - they have to be particularly careful of the way they live their lives to maximise their heart health, by not smoking themselves and by having healthy diet and exercise habits," he said.

"So there's a real take-home message for the kids too, not just for the mums."

Yet another reason why i strongly disagree with smoking during pregnancy :(

Makes sense really. Did read the whole article but smoking must put pressure on the placenta which effects blood supply which effects the heart so seems obvious it could cause problems later on

Makes sense really. Did read the whole article but smoking must put pressure on the placenta which effects blood supply which effects the heart so seems obvious it could cause problems later on

Yeah on misbehaving mums they showed how smoking affects the amount of blood that got to the baby via the cord. They showed the affects of oxygen deprivation but it makes sense that it would affect the heart too.

Yet people still continue to smoke while pregnant and around children and babies. Thisa is one thing that really aggravates me. Poison ur own body sure, your choice. But why should any child have to suffer because of an adults addiction?

I'm so glad that I have never smoked even a single cigarette in my life. My mum smoked the entire time while she was pregnant with me, a pack a day!

Yeah on misbehaving mums they showed how smoking affects the amount of blood that got to the baby via the cord. They showed the affects of oxygen deprivation but it makes sense that it would affect the heart too.

It makes me so sad to think about it..

I know someone who told me she wanted to smoke during pregnancy so she wouldn't end up with an overweight baby. It's so sad how selfish people can be sometimes :(

I try to be respectful of peoples parenting choices but this is one thing I feel very strongly about I think smoking while pregnant is SO wrong. I may offend people by this but to be honest, I don't care, I find doing something that everyone knows is so harmful even more offensive.

Maybe it's easy for me to say because I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.I know that it is very difficult to stop, my dad has battled with giving up for years! But there is nothing I wouldn't do for my child to make him happy and healthy I just can't fathom how you could do something that won't just maybe harm your baby but has been proven to!

:grr:

I agree Mrs Park. As an ex smoker i also know how hard it is to give up, But its not impossible. The love of ur unborn child should override it.

How anyone can puff away on toxic smoke whilst growing their child baffles me. Esp when we KNOW what it does to a fetus.

I dont like smoking full stop, makes me feel really dirty and scummy when the smoke gets in my hair and on my clothes....plus the smoke gives me really bad heartburn.

But i really do think that if your carrying a child, then you should be able to sacrifice your smoking habit for 9 months for the sake of your babies health.
'misbehaving mums' was so upsetting to watch....nothing made that mother snap out of her bubble, no matter how much the MW tried to show her what she was doing to her unborn baby.

Anyway, this research doesnt surprise me in the least...thanks for the share Shannon :)

both smoking and drinking while pg is wrong imo

I am so anti smoking in pregnancy!!!!

I quit the day after my bfp with no help. It was hard but I didn't look back. I always said the only time I'd ever quit would be if/when I got pregnant.

I loved smoking, smoked for years and would happily not eat if it meant more money for fags.

If I can do it anyone can. It's your choice to smoke, babies don't have the choice. There's so much help out there now there's no excuse.

I used to smoke but quit the day I did a preg test and found out Lil was on the way. Couldn't have imagined continuing to smoke. I feel sorry for women that are struggling to quit, I hope there is support for them to help.

To be honest I didn't find it hard to quit, as I just thought that if I want to smoke after baby is born I would.

I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant, I was 6 weeks.

But I continued to smoke before that despite the fact that for over a week I was convinced I could be pregnant. Although I 'knew' I was pregnant I was still very much in denial (Oliver wasn't planned and we had always had safe sex). It really haunts me to think that I smoked while Oli was growing, even when I 'knew' he was there. :nope: I don't know how anyone can knowingly do it and not feel immense guilt. :wacko:

Whats with the confused faces smilies?
I think it's good that this was shared, helps to raise awareness and educate and stuff.
I think those who smoke and doen't even TRY to stop when pregnant are so selfish...
I do feel for those who are trying to quit though. It must be so hard...Addictions are horrible...

Someone once told me too that they were going to smoke through pregnancy as they wanted a small baby.

So disgusting and vile. She didn't have a small baby in the end. Probably just one who's going to have problems later on in life. Lovely!
I remember going to her house once and she was stood outside having a fag whilst heavily pregnant. It made me so so angry and I proceeded to tell OH how I felt about it. It's something I would never ever dream of doing. God forbid anything went wrong with my pregnancy or my baby, I would never forgive myself!

Just not worth the risk at all in my opinion.

When I was in the hospital a woman was brought onto the ward having just had her baby. She'd had the baby early. She kept asking when she could go for a 'fag' as she hadn't had one since the night before - when she must still have been pregnant. She had other kids and I heard her say on the phone 'I'm pleased I kept this one in as long as I did, longer than the others'.

I wonder if she stopped to think that maybe she would have kept the baby 'in' even longer if she wasn't smoking?

It made me angry, given I was having to have my baby early through no fault of my own (pre-eclampsia) and she was so flippant about it.

I am anti-smoking full stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->