Smoking during pregnancy linked to heart disease

ughh...smokers in general. Nothing says stupidity more than someone with a fag hanging out of their mouth.

I saw a heavily pregnant women buy a packet of cigarettes and a scratch card in Tesco's....couldn't believe it!

No excuse for smoking during pregnancy IMO.

My cousin is a high risk pregnancy due to a weak cervix and went into labour at 26weeks, thankfully they manages to stop it but shes been in twice more since for them to stop it yet she continues to smoke! She is 28/29weeks now.

ughh...smokers in general. Nothing says stupidity more than someone with a fag hanging out of their mouth.

I saw a heavily pregnant women buy a packet of cigarettes and a scratch card in Tesco's.
...couldn't believe it!

To be fair, unless you saw her smoking one, they could have been for anyone. I regularly bought OHs smokes and alcohol while I was out when I was pregnant. Id hope no one assumed they were for me. Also nothing wrong with a scratch ticket.

I'm glad this study has come out because in the other pregnant smoking thread months ago, I got the vibe that people were saying that they knew people who smoked and their babies were "fine" whereas this counters that theory and shows that not all damage is immediately evident, but it is still there, even so many years down the line.

both smoking and drinking while pg is wrong imo

My midwife/doctor/hospital staff even ambulence crew informed me that A glass of wine, red or white can actually be healthy during pregnancy.

I have no sympathy for people who say they have trouble quitting when they become pregnant. I smoked over a pack a day for ten years, and quit the minute I got my line :)

I won't personally drink a drop while pregnant. Just feels very wrong to me :shrug:

What annoys me the most is the argument that 'doctors do not advise pregnant women giving up smoking as the stress of giving up is more harmful than the actual smoking'
Seriously WTF?!

I smoked since I was 15, never less than 20 a day and stopped cold turkey as soon as I got my bfp, I can't imagine feeling my baby move around while I'm puffing away on a fag, horrible!

What annoys me the most is the argument that 'doctors do not advise pregnant women giving up smoking as the stress of giving up is more harmful than the actual smoking'
Seriously WTF?!

I know, that bugs me too. What a terrible excuse.

Wow that is just shocking. It's sad to think that there can be such long term effects. Although I think mums to be should be supported when quitting. I.e. nictotine patches/gum. Some people find it really difficult to go cold turkey. Now in the UK we have smoking MW's that prescribe mum's nictotine patches etc to get them to stop smoking xx

I smoked since I was 15, never less than 20 a day and stopped cold turkey as soon as I got my bfp, I can't imagine feeling my baby move around while I'm puffing away on a fag, horrible!

Seriously WTF?!

I know, that bugs me too. What a terrible excuse.

I'm not a doctor, but I just can't fathom that, stress doesn't starve your baby of oxygen or turn the placenta grey?

When i was at hospital waiting for my growth scan one girl was chatting away saying how her placenta had started comming away after she fell in the ice but the dr told her to carry on smoking because the baby is used to it :saywhat:
Not giving up during pregnancy is selfish. Cutting down/trying to quit, is better than nothing but really is it good enough?
And thing that really bugs me - "i smoked/cut down during pregnancy then gave up once they were born because i wanted to BF and give them the best start" - 9months too late.

I used to smoke and the minute I knew I was pregnant it just stopped. My baby was far more important to me than a fag!

both smoking and drinking while pg is wrong imo

My midwife/doctor/hospital staff even ambulence crew informed me that A glass of wine, red or white can actually be healthy during pregnancy.

While I know this thread is about the smoking research that was published, I just can't let this one go.

I'd like your midwife/doctor/hospital staff to produce one shred of credible research that backs up the "healthy" effects of drinking during pregnancy. They'd have trouble because there is none.
Because alcohol is metabolized differently by every individual, there is no safe amount. If there was, the guidelines in virtually every nation would change to reflect this.

I acknowledge that drinking during pregnancy is viewed differently in different areas, and that women have to make their own choices on this one, but I won't leave a statement like that unchallenged. Sorry.

And on the actual thread topic, it is one of the few things that I feel very judgemental about. I try to just be supportive and encourage smoking pregnant women to quit, but it just makes me scream inside when I see that kind of thing. It just isn't fair to the babe.

I agree about the drinking thing sarahkka, i didnt touch a drop while i was pregnant

The best philosophy I have heard on smoking and drinking is this:
There are so many uncontrollable factors that could harm a fetus, why would you not eliminate risk on the factors you can control?
I know that perception of risk is up to the individual, but alcohol and cigarettes both have HUGE health implications. Known, established ones. It's hard to understand someone who willfully downplays those. :shrug:

Hate smoke full stop, sure burn out your own lungs with it, not your unborn baby who has no choice.
Also the stress thing is laughable! Plenty of other ways to combat stress than a dirty cigarette!
https://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/Pages/Smoking.aspx
Surely those factors are enough motivation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->