Smoking during pregnancy linked to heart disease

both smoking and drinking while pg is wrong imo

My midwife/doctor/hospital staff even ambulence crew informed me that A glass of wine, red or white can actually be healthy during pregnancy.

While I know this thread is about the smoking research that was published, I just can't let this one go.

I'd like your midwife/doctor/hospital staff to produce one shred of credible research that backs up the "healthy" effects of drinking during pregnancy. They'd have trouble because there is none.
Because alcohol is metabolized differently by every individual, there is no safe amount. If there was, the guidelines in virtually every nation would change to reflect this.

I acknowledge that drinking during pregnancy is viewed differently in different areas, and that women have to make their own choices on this one, but I won't leave a statement like that unchallenged. Sorry.

And on the actual thread topic, it is one of the few things that I feel very judgemental about. I try to just be supportive and encourage smoking pregnant women to quit, but it just makes me scream inside when I see that kind of thing. It just isn't fair to the babe.

There was a far more friendly way to respond to that! I merely stated the advice I had been told, I didn't say i followed it either. Although i happen to know it has been proven that red wine is beneficial to general health (not pregnant).

both smoking and drinking while pg is wrong imo

My midwife/doctor/hospital staff even ambulence crew informed me that A glass of wine, red or white can actually be healthy during pregnancy.

While I know this thread is about the smoking research that was published, I just can't let this one go.

I'd like your midwife/doctor/hospital staff to produce one shred of credible research that backs up the "healthy" effects of drinking during pregnancy. They'd have trouble because there is none.
Because alcohol is metabolized differently by every individual, there is no safe amount. If there was, the guidelines in virtually every nation would change to reflect this.

I acknowledge that drinking during pregnancy is viewed differently in different areas, and that women have to make their own choices on this one, but I won't leave a statement like that unchallenged. Sorry.

And on the actual thread topic, it is one of the few things that I feel very judgemental about. I try to just be supportive and encourage smoking pregnant women to quit, but it just makes me scream inside when I see that kind of thing. It just isn't fair to the babe.

There was a far more friendly way to respond to that! I merely stated the advice I had been told, I didn't say i followed it either. Although i happen to know it has been proven that red wine is beneficial to general health (not pregnant).

You know what?
I agree with you.
I read my post back and I did have a really unnecessarily high-handed tone there.
I apologize! :flower:
It's an emotional subject, but the holier-than-thou tone was unnecessary (and unintended - just feel strongly about the issue :)).

Its okay, its a mums site, our hormones and tiredness are always running high! Haha :)

Ive just found out my sister who is 11 weeks into her pregnancy is still smoking and she is a heavy smoker. Im not impressed. Should i say something to her or just leave it? I cant stop thinking about poor little bubs, its not fair :(

She is 43 too so is already at a high risk age. Why risk something u have control over?

I would say something, but say it with love and support, rather than the scary facts. Offer to help her cut down, or get her info on support groups for quitting - that sort of thing. If she doesn't respond to any of that, you can try giving her the stats, but that rarely works on people who don't want to quit.
It's distressing, I know. :( :hugs:
I hope she makes a better decision soon.

Oh id never consider listing off the risks, she knows what they are, id def do it with love and support just not sure whether i should even say anything. Im quite a bit younger than her too so i dont want her to think im telling her what to do. Sigh. Thanks for ur reply sarakka xo

Your in australia arn't you hun?

A few months ago there was a progamme called mums to be behaving badly. And they had a MW on there that tried to help women to stop smoking.

Maybe tell your sister that the midwife said every inhalation of cigrette smoke decreases the babies oxygen supply and increases the amount of carbon dioxide reaching the baby. There is also an increased of the placenta detaching it's self from the lining of the womb. If this happens the baby will die in a matter of minutes leaving very little time to save the baby. Women often don't know it has happened until they bleed and by that time it is often too late. This happened to a friend of mine at 37 weeks and her beautiful little girl was born sleeping, the horrible thing is she didn't even smoke and she still blamed herself :cry: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->