Smoking in cars, should it be banned?

I agree with Blackberry25 and mum22ttc#3....completely agree. I used to smoke, my hubby still does smoke (outside) and provided he doesnt smoke around me or LO, then it's his lungs, and it's not my right to tell him or anyone else what to do.

Problem is if you ban smoking in a car for the sake of children or passangers then you would have to bann it in the homes as well as a car is an extention to your property and who would be able to inforce a ban in your home, I rtealy cant see police making random house calls to check your not smoking with children in the house.

The only way they could ban it along these lines is to do an all out ban with I doubt will ever happen as the government get way more money from tax on sales then they pay out for smoking related hospital treatment.
Plus would then open a whole can of worms about then you would have to ban cars to stop people getting asthma from polution and fast food to staop people getting obese and costing government money in treatment, banning alcohol and so on.

The only way around baning smoking in the car without people shouting about personal choice is to take the same view on it as driving while using a mobile, eating, reading, drinking (non alcoholic drinks) ie they are a distraction and cause you to take your hands of the wheel and your eyes and mind off driving.
Its the only realistic way about it.
Yes smoking in a car with children in it is discusting but thats more of a welfare and social services issue rather then a law one.
You cant use the exscuse to ban it in cars on the grounds that others may one day get into your car and there will be chemicals in the seats and such as then what about people who enter your homes.
Before you know it there will be lawyers writting up wavers stating " I agree upon entering your home and or car that I will not now or in the futer sue on grounds of possible chemical contamination from ciggerette pathegines" and no one can enter tell your covered :)

I agree that it is more of a social issue than a legal one.

I think if there is a distracted driving law in effect, it should fall under that.

it is already against the law here (in cars with children), as well as indoor public areas, parks, beaches, trails and plazas

I don't think it would be simple to enforce a ban, at all. I just think there is far more grounds for doing so for smoking than almost any other "vice" I can think of.

I don't agree that smoking is in the same category as obesity and alcoholism. Out of all the vices, it is the only one that physically harms those around it. You choose to eat poorly and not exercise and deal with the consequences of obesity, but your fat cells aren't going to jump out of your body and attach themselves to me. You choose to drink too much, but the liquor going into your body isn't pickling my liver.
With smoking, the contamination is not containable to the smoker. You choose to smoke and you choose for me, too.

So right there, that's why my voice should be louder than the smoker's. I don't want MY choice taken from me.

I've already addressed the other point that keeps being brought up: air pollution from cars and industry - unless you are living directly off the land in a cave somewhere, you are contributing to the pollution on our planet. It is impossible not to in our industrialised society. That is a common problem created by the common to be solved by the common. Smoking is an individual imposing their unhealthy choice on everyone else.

And on another point:
We've had smoking bans in restaurants and pubs here for years and the surveys they did in my province showed a subsequent overall increase in business for those establishments since the ban was imposed.

No, what about vaccines?
What about spraying of crops?

I don't know. I just don't agree. I don't think I have been negatively effected by someone else smoking. Not one little bit. Especially now that people can't smoke in public places, like Jasmak pointed out.

BB - vaccines and crop spraying can both argue benefit to the common. Smoking can't. Not one iota of benefit, other than pleasure to the user.
And you don't have to agree. :flower:
That's why debating is fun! :)
For the record, as vehemently as I am defending the idea of a smoking ban, I don't have it up on my top ten list of things to worry about. It's a debate. I'm in the mood for this kind of discussion today! :)

How does crop spraying benefit?

Just curious. I just threw that out there haha. Seems like a big ol cloud of poison?

I just don't like laws. :rofl:

I'm not a big fan of pesticides, either, but there are plenty of farmers and scientists who would tell you that they are no big deal and that they have helped to increase crop productivity and make food more widely available and cheaper for the consumer. You may not agree with that, but my point is that there is a benefit to be argued from it.
That's why I wouldn't support a ban on booze. There is an argument that it has health benefits if consumed in moderation, and it doesn't hurt those who choose not to consume it.
If smoking had any benefit whatsoever, it might be a different story.

All booze? or just wine?

(I'm half asleep so I have no more to add really to the debate thread, just that I would vote against it if I ever actually had a say, which I don't believe that people really have a say in anything in this country :lol: but I will save that for another day)

https://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

What about any of the things listed on here?

I did not research whatsoever lol.

I think there are therapeutic benefits to smoking.

Or what about additive free tobacco that someone grew themselves?

Oh man, BB, that pro-smoking page is hysterical! :)
I didn't have a chance to do much more than skim, but pretty over the top... :)

I must remember to take up smoking again so that I can apparently prevent Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, breast cancer, skin cancer, and heart arrhythmia... :rofl:

And it will aid with your schizophrenia!

(Actually I do have a schizophrenic brother, and I don't think cigarettes help him at all, but I do believe marijuana does!)

Nicotine has been successfully used and documented as a treatment for tourettes. I can't vouch for anything anyone else claims it to be beneficial for.

Nicotine has been successfully used and documented as a treatment for tourettes. I can't vouch for anything anyone else claims it to be beneficial for.

Is it given through smoke, though? Or through a patch?

To add, what is the talk with 1984, I was only born that year so have no idea what this is about? :flower:

1984 was a novel by George Orwell, mainly about a totalitarian state I think. Its appearance in this debate is because people think that if they ban smoking, the government is in danger of controlling every aspect of our lives.x

To add, what is the talk with 1984, I was only born that year so have no idea what this is about? :flower:

1984 was a novel by George Orwell, mainly about a totalitarian state I think. Its appearance in this debate is because people think that if they ban smoking, the government is in danger of controlling every aspect of our lives.x

I love David cameron I love David cameron I love David cameron I love davi cameron I love David cameron I love David cameron I love David cameron I love David cameron I love David cameron.... But not nick clegg....

I don't really believe in big bros mind control......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->