Smoking in cars, should it be banned?

Yes most definitely should be banned - my mum smoked whilst me and my brothers were in the car - its amazing what we all went through when we were very young and kind of 'acceptable' it was back then - but looking at my LO I could not bear the thought of him being anywhere near smoke xx

IMO smoking should be banned in cars! If you're alone then fair enough, but children :nope: wrong on so many levels!!

If there's a child in the car, then yes. Otherwise? No. Adults can make informed decisions about whether they want to smoke in their cars or not.

This country is turning into a nanny-state! Obviously it's banned in pubs and clubs now (I actually preferred the smokey smell in clubs to the current smell of stale alcohol, toilets, vomit and sweat.. But that's another story), people are trying to ban smoking *outside* in the street, now smoking in cars.. People will then turn to smoking in their own homes only, where the children are!! I'd much rather see a person smoking in the street, or alone in their car, than in their living room with their children playing nearby as there's nowhere else to go. Banning smoking altogether won't help as 1) A lot of money goes back into the system (ie NHS) through the sale (and extortionate prices) of cigarettes, and 2) If it was made illegal, it would just be gone illegally instead.. A marked increase in crime, and dangerously-made cigarettes, so more hospital admissions due to inhalation of unknown substances (as it wont be regulated anymore) and less money to help fund the treatment.

A nanny state? Because people think its wrong to smoke in cars?

I am SOOO glad that they stopped smoking in pubs and restaurants. Even when I was a smoker it was vile. I can finally go out and come back without having to wash my hair, clothes and coat or check to see if someone has damaged them because they were pissed and burnt my coat.

I personally don't like smoking on the street either. The amount of fag ends outside pubs now is horrible and the fact that you have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to a building.

I also agree that they shouldn't smoke in their home while children are around. I'd like to think they have brains and would stand by the back door at least. But then again, those smoking in cars with children in anyway I don't think they consider there children then.

A nanny state because they're trying to stop adults making informed decisions for and about themselves! We're constantly bomarded with "Do this/that and you will die! Are you sure you want that extra chip? Are you sure you want sweetners in your tea, they cause cancer! Don't sit in the sun! Wait, you're not getting enough sun and you'll get a vitamin D deficiency, get in the sun!" It's a little soul-destroying being told what we shouldn't be doing all the time.. Lol.

I'm for the decision when it comes to banning smoking in cars when there are children present, but when the adults are on their own it's their decision. A village in the UK tried to ban smoking in the entire village. People could've still smoked in their own homes, but even that was on the cards for discussion.. At one point they were talking about banning smoking for a certain number of hours in your own house if someone like a plumber was going to come round! So that left the garden.. But suppose someone walked past the fence and *gasp* breathed it in?? If I still smoked, I would begrudge being told whether I can smoke in my own home or not, especially given that I own my home (not a council house, and I don't have a mortgage etc). But even I wouldn't be silly enough to smoke around my children; my Mum used to smoke around me a lot and I hate the smell of stale smoke (even as a smoker I hated it, so I wouldn't smoke indoors). Yes, there are nasty chemicals in cigarette smoke, but there are also nasty chemicals in exhaust fumes, and in the smoke that comes out of chimneys and factories. I do agree that cigarette butts on the pavements looks awful; I would always put mine in an ashtray or a bin.

I think to be fair when they decided to ban it in homes, it was council homes that they were doing that. It was the council workers that they had a duty of care for. Council plumbers, kitchen fitters etc etc.

I gave up years ago and yes, no one could/would tell me not to smoke in a house that I owned. If a plumber, who owned his own company came to my house and was aggrieved that I smoked in it, they I would quite simply tell him not to bother and get out my yellow pages for plumber number 2.

In regards to the 'Nanny state'...I've had reccomendations in regards to what is good and bad for me but not ONE person from the government or something similar has ever told me not to have that extra chip or not to go on the sunbeds.

I just thought that they were ensuring that people were armed with all the necessary information so that they could make an informed decision themselves as adults on the matter :shrug:

And I've yet to read an official article that tells me that sweetners causes cancer.

Pretty sure that if that was something that was enforced by the 'Nanny State' because it caused cancer, well you wouldn't be able to buy them would you?

if anything, I would ban smoking because it is a distraction .people really need to have both hands free in case of an emergency.Also there were Many times I've witnessed my family and friends who smoked dropped their cigerette on their lap or seat while driving and instead of focusing on the road, they were focusing trying to put the cigerette out. oh and hot ashes had flew to the back seat and put burnt holes on them. If children were there, they could have gotten burnt. I think cigerette is just plain hazard (fire or distraction)

with children yes, otherwise no. I agree with the above poster, Britain is getting far too controlled. But I was pissed off when they banned smoking in all public places anyway since most of them had segregated smoking areas. What's wrong with a smoking room?

er... if you don't have children in your car, i don't see how its anyones business, unless we are going to ban drinking and eating also ? even smokers with cars AND children, might well smoke all over the house anyways, i can't see this making a huge difference to anyone. Also good luck enforcing it......

er... if you don't have children in your car, i don't see how its anyones business, unless we are going to ban drinking and eating also ? even smokers with cars AND children, might well smoke all over the house anyways, i can't see this making a huge difference to anyone. Also good luck enforcing it......

They could never re-enforce it really? Not without making HUGE expenses and lets face it- that's hardly likely to happen!

I think smoking in cars is horrible but if its YOUR car that's like YOUR home right and we should be free to do as we wish as long as we do not affect other road users.

ETA- I have never even been a smoker! x

Its illegal here to smoke in your vehicle with kids inside. Its also illegal to smoke on our hospital property etc....
I think it should be illegal in all places in front of children, including in your home.

Pretty soon they will class smoking in your home around children abuse, which I would back 100% too!

Yes, illegal here too...and they do enforce it. It's a provincial ticket, so I don't see them cross my office (I work in municipal bylaws) but it's enfroced by the police. They will pull someone over if they happen to drive by someone smoking with kids in the car. I work closely with the police and we were just all talking about this the other day, because we have just made a new municipal bylaw where it is illegal to smoke in parks, plazas, trails, beaches, and other publice park area. I was talking about how it is going to be enforced...and it will be education at first, and then it will be when the police see them...they will issue tickets. I think for most parents it's common sense to not smoke around their kids..the law is for the selfish idiotic parents that just don't get it or are too lazy...a shame that there even has to be a law...but we do.

Thats good too. I used to smoke but I wouldnt do it in public close to anyone. I cant stand walking through clouds of smoke when going somewhere!

Also illegal to smoke on hospital grounds here too since last year come to think of it...

Bare with me okay I can be crap at explaining lol :flower:

I am an Ex-smoker,when I was I was as considerate as i could be to others.

But you can't ban someone in my eyes from smoking in their own property,
e.g; Home,Car,Garden ect ect.

I am glad it has been banned in pubs and other places but some of these places they want it banned is OTT and nobody follows them for instance here in Bournemouth it is illegal to smoke in a bus shelter but I can't even count on my hands how many people smoke under the bus shelters and nothing is done about it even with a sign stating 'Smoking in bus shelters is illegal and a fine will be issued'

The people that smoke with children in cars that is their choice and there is nothing anybody can do about it if you ask me because if you ban smoking in a car then there'll continue to smoke in a house causing what i would say worse second-hand smoke.

They could never ban smoking in a home because they just wouldn't be able to enforce it.

True but pretty soon it will be child abuse to smoke in your home in front of children. It is illegal here in cars with kids :)

How daft is that.... lol "child abuse" people really throw that word around lightly nowadays

should say i'm not a smoker, nor do i personally allow my child to stay at his grandparents if they don't agree to not smoke whilst he his there, but to call people who smoke in their homes child abusers ... lmao its so silly

Say its silly all u like lol... Slowly killing your own children because u are too selfish to go outside at least (i know not u) is child abuse and our Canadian government is cracking down more and more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->