smoking in third trimester

I'm so pleased this thread is staying supportive :hugs:

You're not alone hun and if anyone judges you then they can judge me too! I do feel bad that I still smoke but when I first found out I was pregnant I stopped all my medication for my baby and have tried over and over to quit smoking but living with 2 other smokers who still smoke around me made it harder plus I found day to day harder being off meds! It's silly, I won't even take a paracetamol.. :hugs:

i quit when i found out i was pregnant, i hated the smell of it up 2 now, now i smell it and i crave it lol

:hugs: Good on you for cutting down. I smoked from 13yo-21yo - It got to the point I was smoking 35 a day easily (urgh, makes me sick to think about now) But when I first met the man who is now my hubby and bubs daddy-to-be, he hated it so it gave me the kick up the backside to kick the habit. I signed up to NHS stop smoking and had meetings with a local pharmacist. 3 weeks later I was ciggie free. (Last one I had was 18th September 2006) :happydance: I can't imagine how difficult it would be trying to give up whilst pregnant - so wont judge on that. Plus my sister smoked all the way through her pregnancy - she ended up cutting down to about 5 a day by the end and she had a very healthy 7lb11oz baby boy, with no issues.

Good luck hun xx

i can understand too, ive been in n out of hospital with pains thinking i was going into labour soon and so did the midwives, the last week i had to start smoking i really couldnt cope, i was a heavy smoker before hand and quit from being about 6 weeks im now nearly 33 weeks. since i started smoking a few a day having less trips to hospital but still having ireegular contractions but it seemed to help me wish i didnt though but it is extremly hard :(

I quit smoking from a pack a day to nothing cold turkey the day I ovulated for this baby - I am not gonna say "you can do it if u try" or w/e or how it is safer for baby and reduces SIDs b/c I am sure you know that but.... I downloaded an app that day I quit that tells u how many days u have been smoke free X cost X cigs per day.. Its been 8 and 1/2 months or so and I think I saved near 5k!!!!!!!!! Remember that when you think of your stressfull money problems and think u need the cigs to calm down!!! it really adds up.

Good luck!!!!!!!

really good way of making you realise how much you saved. i also went cold turkey day i got my:bfp: i couldnt risk it.

Hmm this is a tough one, i don't personally smoke but my OH does and i've seen him try to quit many times so therefore I know it musn't be easy...
I just hope your LO is happy & healthy when he is born, but i'm sure you'd know by now through ultrasounds etc if there was a problem..
Just keep with the cutting down.. :flower:

Well done for cutting down that is a positive step
I have never smoked as I'm asthmatic and it's never appealed to me
if you can, as your kids get older try
and quit, I know it's hard but worth it. The anti smoking message is drummed in at school nowadays and kids will be afraid of the risks to their parents

From my perspective my dad smoked roll ups from the age of 13-37
I hated him smoking even though he would go outside this was the early 80s and even though I was only 6 I knew it was not good for him and used to beg him to stop
one day when I was 7 we had a call to say he was in hospital
he had a transient ischemic attack (bubble of oxygen to the brain) he collapsed in work and his head missed a metal stamper by inches
they said it was due to smoking. I was distraught and did not want to lose my dad
it took him 4m and he swapped his habit for a sugar free mint habit instead bt he did it and I was so proud, he started smoking cigars for a month in secret when i was 17 we found out and nagged him so much he stopped

He is 65 this year and the thoughtof losing my dad really upsets me
but I'm proud he has beaten the habit twice and will get to be a grandad x

I quit just before getting pregnant and wantto congratulate you for cutting down. I hope you do manage to stop entirely. I get very afraid about smoking during pregnancy because there is a risk of hurting the baby. Some get lucky and baby is fine but my friend who used to sneak a ciggi everyday gave birth to a little boy who was physically and mentally challenged. Also another close friend had a child who suffered from some neurological problems. I guess fear keeps me away from smokes. Not to encourage smoking here but I've also seen some babies coming out looking just fine even though mums smoked. All the best to you!

I quit smoking from a pack a day to nothing cold turkey the day I ovulated for this baby - I am not gonna say "you can do it if u try" or w/e or how it is safer for baby and reduces SIDs b/c I am sure you know that but.... I downloaded an app that day I quit that tells u how many days u have been smoke free X cost X cigs per day.. Its been 8 and 1/2 months or so and I think I saved near 5k!!!!!!!!! Remember that when you think of your stressfull money problems and think u need the cigs to calm down!!! it really adds up.

Good luck!!!!!!!

really good way of making you realise how much you saved. i also went cold turkey day i got my:bfp: i couldnt risk it.

I too quit cold turkey, when I suspected that I might be pregnant. I won't lie, I do miss it sometimes, and it wasn't easy. I don't regret stopping, it was one of the best things I've ever done. And the money we saved! That definitely helped!

i understand how u feel, luckily i managed to give up quite easily but i know how it feels when ur really stressed!! when i found out it was such a massive shock i smoked like 3 in a row lol and i usually hate chain smoking. my advice would just be to look up all the really bad things smoking does to ur baby and hope it makes u feel so guilty u won't be able to smoke. just keep on reading the facts and don't try and deny it's harmful because it IS.
good luuuckk x

Im just like you hunni.. Quitting is the hardest thing ever. Iv tried and failed badly, everytime :( I do still smoke myself, around 12 a day and on bad days could even be more :( I no its the wrong thing to do and i no it affects my baby, but it is the hardest thing to do.. Some women do it no problems and others find it alot harder. I have cut down myself, but i no im still smoking to many.. I try i really do but its so hard. I smoked right the way through with my daughter aswell although i did manage to cut down alot more to around 4 a day but with this pregnancy i feel like i crave even more :( Big hugs your not alone on this one x x x

I dont think someone who has never smoked knows quite how hard quitting smoking is..

Well done for cutting down x

I haven't smoked for a few years, and never really smoked more than a half-pack a day, so quitting wasn't an issue for me for pregnancy. BUT I have been unable to give up caffeine, so I can relate a bit. Definitely cut way back, so I'm way under the 200-mg/day limit, but still. I think it's great that you're cutting back. Keep at it--maybe try cutting back by 1 or 2 a day each month or something like that? Good luck!

I dont think someone who has never smoked knows quite how hard quitting smoking is..

i have to disagree. i quit twice with both pregnancies cold turkey and didnt have one bad day because of it.one of the easiest things i ever did.

i have to disagree. i quit twice with both pregnancies cold turkey and didnt have one bad day because of it.one of the easiest things i ever did.

Well done you...

i personnally quit cold turkey with DS and never went back!

i think cutting down is better than carrying on regardless and why berate someone for obvbiously trying really hard to quit when it is one of the hardest things you can ever do :shrug:

of all the ladies in my family/friends who smoke not one has ever quit in pregnancy and the smallest baby out of the lot was 7lb 6oz, perfectly average size baby, and the biggest was 11lb 2oz! not one of them has ever had any health problems. My mum smoked at least 40 a day with me and ive only ever seen a doctor when i had chickenpox when i was little and since then ive only been to the doctor due to being pregnant. When my SIL had her DD 2 yrs ago she was stood outside the hospital having a cig with the midwives!!!

im not saying smoking isnt harmful this is just my experience xx

if you can quit then great if not then dont feel guilty, the stress wont do you any good xxx

I smoked 40 a day from the age of 15 (started with 10 a day, then went up to 40), quit 7 years ago as soon as I found out I was preg with my son, never smoked through pregnancy, started again when he was about 7 months old, smoked 40 a day again til this march, stopped cold turkey coz I wanted to get preg, then have never had one since. I could never ever forgive myself if I smoked when I was preg, I couldnt be that selfish. It isnt THAT hard to stop, if you really want to then you will. (speaking as a very heavy ex smoker).

some people are lucky and can quit a lot easier than others. others it is just a constant struggle, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to just stop. with any addiction there are always underlying issues along with the physical aspect.

kudos to you tho and your ability to stop tho.

some people are lucky and can quit a lot easier than others. others it is just a constant struggle, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to just stop. with any addiction there are always underlying issues along with the physical aspect.

kudos to you tho and your ability to stop tho.

Believe me it wasnt easy to stop. It took all of my willpower and sometimes I still crave them now, so it is still a constant struggle. As for underlying issues, I have plenty of those...I suffered from an eating disorder from the age of 15, still struggle with it now, I have suffered from depression, and have ocd, all of which I helped control by smoking. I still couldnt bring myself to smoke while pregnant, as I say, I could never forgive myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->