Smoking. No judgements please!!

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
I really don't need any judgmental comments as I already feel awful, just after a bit of advice please.

With DD I gave up pretty much straight away when I found out I was pregnant with no probs, went from 20 a day to nothing, easy, bam!

I stupidly started smoking again when she was about 1, and yes, I also feel bad being a smoking mum so please no judgements. I try and only smoke when she is in bed and don't smoke around her etc but due to the fact she loves her bed so much I still manage to average on about 12 cigs a day.

I've known I'm pregnant for a week now and just can't seem to stop :(
I think it's because I don't feel pregnant at all (even did a test again yesterday in case previous ones were wrong)! As a typical weak pathetic smoker I've managed to fool myself into believing things like its not that bad at the mo as there's no placenta so baby isn't getting any etc etc but I know that it's stupid and wrong. So was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice please??

I've never smoked, so I can't give any advice from experience, but I'd suggest you definitely speak to your GP & Midwife for the best things to try while pregnant - some replacements aren't advised during pregnancy, and they also will be thrilled that you're taking it seriously and asking for help. They understand that it'd hard to quit, and don't expect that you'll find it easy, they'll be glad you want to tackle it.

I hope other ladies have some better advice, and big :hugs: for you - it's great that you want to quit again xxxxxxxxxx

I have a 10motives fake cigarette. U can get them from bargain booze. They seem to work for me. Got no bad stuff in at all x

I have a 10motives fake cigarette. U can get them from bargain booze. They seem to work for me. Got no bad stuff in at all x

They make me gag :(
Might try patches though :)

Id get an ecig! Managed to quit in June with one and I don't smoke at all now. Iv always quit when pregnant as soon as iv had a positive cold turkey before but gone back to it. It is hard, you already know because you've done it once. My advice is simple just throw them all away and don't do it. There were times in the first few weeks when pregnant with my boys that I literally sat and cried cus I wanted one but it's really not worth it Hun how ever hard it is! Xx

Your exactly the same as me quit when pregnant with first but it took me a while started again when he was 1 and trying to quit again ive gone down to about 2-3 a day, only problem is im eating like a gannet already so stopping smoking is only going to make me eat more x

I only smoke when drinking so i thought it wasnt going to be an issue. One of my major cravings is a menthol ciggie. I havent and won't give in and no advice here really, i just shove a mint in my mouth. My partner smokes shich makes it harder. I realise how hard it is, but it has to be done. Deep breathes and replacement cake :)

I was going to get an electronic fag but when i spoke to midwife she said they do not recommends them in pregnancy, she is getting the smoking nurse to call me im still waiting :( iv cut down from 30 a day to 3-5 a day, but i cant get off them last few, i think im going to try patches again, unfortunately im allergic to whatever adhesive is in them and it brings my skin up sore and blisters where i put it on, but I'd rather that than be smoking, but i still havent heard from smoking nurse so im going to have to re phone them, you'd think they'd be more helpful being as I'm trying! But yea be careful with the electronic cigarettes hun ask a midwife first because i got told no they dont recommend them, but she didnt know why (she was just over the phone booking me a midwife appointment) xx

Your midwife will be able to refer you to New Leaf or another local stop smoking program, you might even get patches etc on prescription ( ie free) so it's defiantly worth it. Giving up smoking is the single best thing a woman can do for her baby. You already know you have to do it and you want to, that's half the battle. Talk to your midwife and meanwhile try cutting back by about 1/2, even try just smoking half a cig instead of a full one. It will be hard, no tricks, no magic wand, but you can do it. Good luck xx

i would try just weaning your self if your struggling .... but i really think the best way to stop is just doing cold turkey you just have too have will power dont try too give up if your not feeling it because you wont do it makesure your feeling postive and ready to do it xxx :hugs:

Your exactly the same as me quit when pregnant with first but it took me a while started again when he was 1 and trying to quit again ive gone down to about 2-3 a day, only problem is im eating like a gannet already so stopping smoking is only going to make me eat more x

So nice to know I'm not the only one! I think that's how I managed to put on over 4 stone in first pregnancy hahahaha.

Going to make today my last day as a smoker! I can do this!!

Thank you all for being so nice, think I just needed some encouragement as my mum just tuts at me and OH doesn't seem to care as he doesn't want to give up with me like last time :(

Thats what I'm finding hard my OH says he doesn't want to quit and even if I'm not having a cigarette he will smoke around me, and he offers me cigarettes all the time, i keep telling him not to offer me but he forgets, think he should cut down around me because it makes me crack, i can have none all day and he comes home and says do you want a fag and thats it i give in :( i also used to smoke before my first son and i quit when i was ttc, and then fell pregnant but as id quit and pregnancy i ate and ate, i went from a size 12 to a 22 and the size 22 was AFTER id given birth :( im now back to a size 12 but it took me years, but im hoping this time if i snack on fruit i wont gain like i did when i quit smoking before x

give him a good kick up the bum !!! tell him not too do it when your around just at work or whens hes with his friends a little compromise ?

Thats what I'm finding hard my OH says he doesn't want to quit and even if I'm not having a cigarette he will smoke around me, and he offers me cigarettes all the time, i keep telling him not to offer me but he forgets, think he should cut down around me because it makes me crack, i can have none all day and he comes home and says do you want a fag and thats it i give in :( i also used to smoke before my first son and i quit when i was ttc, and then fell pregnant but as id quit and pregnancy i ate and ate, i went from a size 12 to a 22 and the size 22 was AFTER id given birth :( im now back to a size 12 but it took me years, but im hoping this time if i snack on fruit i wont gain like i did when i quit smoking before x

I know the feeling, I went from a 14 to a 20 (for about 6 months after birth) I'm now a size 12 and really not willing to give up my lovely new wardrobe lol.

Hubby stopped with me last time but this time he keeps saying smoking 5 a day won't hurt, but I think that's just so he can smoke while he's at home lol

Id get an ecig! Managed to quit in June with one and I don't smoke at all now. Iv always quit when pregnant as soon as iv had a positive cold turkey before but gone back to it. It is hard, you already know because you've done it once. My advice is simple just throw them all away and don't do it. There were times in the first few weeks when pregnant with my boys that I literally sat and cried cus I wanted one but it's really not worth it Hun how ever hard it is! Xx

Didn't realise you'd quit back in .june (although I knew you would have by now) - that's great :happydance::happydance:

OP loads of good advice here, good luck :hugs:

I know how hard it is to quit smoking. I quit over a year ago but about a month before getting BFP I started having the odd cig and started getting into it buying a 20 pack a week which isn't as bad as my pervious 10 a day before I quit. Once I found out I was pregnant I managed to stop straight away luckily. I've not really missed it that much either this time.

I don't have any advice for you except what others have said and ask your dr about stopping, I just wanted to let you know your not alone and it is soooo hard quitting smoking! Big hugs and good luck...you can do it!!

I have no advice about the smoking as I've never been one. But you shouldn't be so down on yourself! It's an addiction--they're not easy. You quit last time so I think you will manage to quit again. But mostly, you're growing a human being which is a great feat. Never feel lousy. I do agree with a previous poster who said you should phone in doctor/midwife for advice on something to help you quit if it's too difficult going cold turkey. Good luck :hugs:

Really can't believe how lovely you've all been, thank you!
Was so nervous about posting this and getting a huge backlash but really needed the support thank you!!

Your midwife can put you in touch with groups etc, and I would recommend patches :) good luck x

Just been and bought a box of patches, so tomorrow is the day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->