Smoking. No judgements please!!

Good luck Hun!:) I smoked on and off for 10 years. It's hard to quit long-term, but I feel SO much better these days.

I have 3 good friends who have gone through this when pregnant and a family full of x-smokers.

One friend didn't find out she was pregnant until 13 weeks! She was petite and about 98 pounds with irregular periods. She was beside herself and in tears because of perceived possible damage she had already done as well as trying to quit a heavy habit right away at that point. She ended up doing hypnosis/acupuncture as e-cigs didn't work for her. She had a couple of relapses but her baby ended up beautiful and healthy so far. My father smoked filterless Paul Mall cigarettes his whole life and swears by acupuncture.

One last thought-Although the studies are still being conducted, I have another friend who's doctor had her on Wellbutrin to help her stop smoking and she found out she was pregnant shortly after. He felt the benefit outweighed the risk and since it is supposed to double the chance of success to quit and kept her on it. Her baby is fine but use of antidepressants (even if to quit smoking) is still under study so something to discuss with a doctor for sure.

Good luck and I hope you are successful at quitting! Even though my friends babies all ended up fine they have a lot of guilt about smoking so it's a tough road. Every time the baby gets a cold they beat themselves up pretty bad wondering if their smoking contributed to poor immunity. Like others have said talk to your midwife/doctors and get some help. I don't know anyone who was able to do it alone.

I had an e cig which I used for the first month and then stopped completely x

I hope you're only smoking outside and not indoors. I won't judge you for smoking. Its a nasty habit. But smoking indoors with children and pets inside is abusive. It really does ruin their tiny lungs.

My parents smoked indoors "not around me" throughout my life and now I have chronic asthma and get shortness of breath quite easily. And it never goes away. As I get older, it gets harder and harder to breathe normally and I don't smoke just was around it a lot. So since I was around "2nd hand smoke", I cough a lot, have a lot of phlegm (spit), have shortness of breathe (can only exercise in short increments) and have Asthma. Thanks Mom and Pops!

Please smoke only outdoors.

I havent had one all day yet :) told oh to take them all to work so I couldnt be tempted ive even been out and havent caved and bought any it has crossed my mind though hopefully I dont give in tonight when he gets home x

I hope you're only smoking outside and not indoors. I won't judge you for smoking. Its a nasty habit. But smoking indoors with children and pets inside is abusive. It really does ruin their tiny lungs.

My parents smoked indoors "not around me" throughout my life and now I have chronic asthma and get shortness of breath quite easily. And it never goes away. As I get older, it gets harder and harder to breathe normally and I don't smoke just was around it a lot. So since I was around "2nd hand smoke", I cough a lot, have a lot of phlegm (spit), have shortness of breathe (can only exercise in short increments) and have Asthma. Thanks Mom and Pops!

I would never smoke indoors!! And always wear a jacket outside, cover my hair and wash my hands after lol

I would never smoke indoors!! And always wear a jacket outside, cover my hair and wash my hands after lol

Im the same smoke outside with a jacket and wash my hands :) x

My husband kept a water bottle on him at all times and when he wanted a cigarette he would drink the water. Things like this don't work for everyone, but he found replacing it with something healthier for his body was perfect for him.

Good luck!

going cold turkey can stress you out, I smoked nearly 20 a day, then at about 3/4 weeks I went onto an ecig, then I went on to a menthol one (so much nicer) then I gave that up a week ago , after 12 years as a smoker including my other pregnancies I am finally free :) and I believe you will be to, IF you stop being so hard on your self, and do it at your time, if you push your self you will become stressed and need one.

The thing that worked for some of the heaviest smokers I know is hypnosis... Seriously 2 friends who I thought would NEVER quit did it in 2 sessions. It's expensive but given the price of fags - worth it in the end... Just a thought - not sure - but can't think that it would have any effect on the baby (just you being very relaxed).

Good luck - all these vices are tough to kick... caffeine, fags, booze etc...

I have no experience with this. And no judgement from here. I imagine its very difficult. My mother smoked while pregnant with me, however back in the earl 80's it was considered safe. I did see my mom struggle with quitting when I was about 5 or 6. Soooooo not easy for her. I would encourage you to seek help from a mom's group or women who are struggling as well. The only way my mom ever quit was cold turkey. But she says to this day (26 yrs later) that the thought of a cig makes her crave it again. Just goes to show how strong of an addiction it is. I say if you've already quit once, you can do it again...and this time I would stick with it;) for your sake and your children. But again no judgement here....try patches, and cake;)

I smoked until about a week after my BFP. Switched to the E-cig and let me tell you; it was GROSS! I used it for 2 days and threw it down. Never thought about picking up another one. The 1st time I quit - after 10 years of smoking, I did so with the help of Chantix. That stuff made me bat sh*t crazy; but it worked. Can't take it while pregnant though, I know.

My point is.. cutting back didn't help me, the E-cig didn't help that much. I just didn't want it anymore. I've always said that if I smoke 1 cig I'd be a full fledged smoker again. Not sure how people who socially smoke do it.

It can be done. Cutting back is good and wanting it is a great start. With a great support system you can kick the habit in no time. Don't beat yourself up too bad. It takes a strong and courageous person to admit they're a pregnant smoker. Good luck!

I havent had one all day yet :) told oh to take them all to work so I couldnt be tempted ive even been out and havent caved and bought any it has crossed my mind though hopefully I dont give in tonight when he gets home x

How's it going for you?

I've got a patch on today and have found it fairly easy. Have told hubby to bring roll ups home though so I'm not tempted by a nice Marlboro light lol

It didnt go well done exactly what I thought I would do, ive had one today, hopefully I can keep it at just the 1 x

That's really good!! I doubt you will be struck down for having 1 or 2 a day haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->