Smoking?

mommy2B(18)

Reaction score
:witch:Just want to know if there are any of you that smoke?
or any of you that quit smoking

Yup....SMOKING!!!

I know it`s bad for the baby but i`m finding it difficult to quit

If there are any of you that quit I would like to know
how you did/are doing it?

What to do when will power fails you??

I smoke +/- a packet a day

Please help!!!!

Regards:baby:

Not to be rude but I would quit knowing that if I didnt my babies health and well being is at stake. Maybe try cutting the number of smokes u have back. A pack a day is an awful lot especially when u are pregnant. My DH smoked for 17+ years and he quit on the first try. He was a pack +/- a day as well. But this is a time when your baby comes first not a selfish addiction...

I was a smoker prior to pregnancy too.

1.5 +/-

quit for baby, and have had no desire to continue ever again.

:headspin:

Best thing you can do for :crib:

I smoked before I got pregnant (both times) and managed to give up for my babies sake. I've not really found it that difficult now to be honest, hardly think about it anymore.

I just did it off will power and knowing my baby would be alot healthier for it. At 1st if I did fancy a smoke then i'd just think of my baby and I wouldn't bother then.

I had tried other times other than when pregnant to quit but couldn't but as soon as I was pregnant I gave up straight away and didn't find it diffucult at all.

I WILL REMOVE ANY HATEFUL COMMENTS FROM THIS THREAD!

Be warned ;)

Carrs book says a woman who has never smoked will look down on a woman pregnant and smoking as will a woman whos not pregnant but a smoker ... until she faces that situation herself. Yes some find it easy but thats NOT everyone and peoples harsh words usually stop people even discussing it.

Will come back to this Caitlins being a moo :mrgreen:

Dont worry Wobbles I am not being spiteful or trying to be rude or anything Nor do i look down on someone for smoking. But I've just read on too many risks that can happen to a baby because of moms who smoke while they are pregnant... MY mom smoked through her pregnancies with all of us but she cut back quite a bit while she was pregnant. But it would be a good reason for moms to try and quit. Maybe having that living being inside will make it a bit easier? Maybe more motivational??

i smoked when i found out i was pregnant with Abi, i'd smoked for ages and felt like shit when i found out as i had this life inside me that depended on my air that i breathed, if i breathed in oxygen, she did, if i smoked, she did! i didnt want that, i went from 2 packs a day, or a 20 deck a day to stopping full stop, thats it! the day i found out i smoked about 40 due to te shock and the stress, but when i thought about it, i was physically sick, disgusted with myself for doing this and stopped more or less straight away, i had none at al after that day until 2 days later i think it was and had one or two, i did this for a couple of days and couldnt cope with the guilt so i quit. i started again when she was ill, and stopped once again when i fell pregnant with Izzie, i was only on 5/6 a day then anyway, the only time i have actually smoked whilst i have known i was pregnant and not been trying to cut down, was the day of Abi's funeral, and id got myself so worked up and stressed out, if was probably better for the baby to do that than carry on like i was. Never smoked since that day!

:hi: I am a smoker my self and ive always been a heavy smoker. Now that ive found out that im pregnant i am trying to cut down by quite a lot. I really wish that i could stop all together for my babys sake but i just dont know if i have enough will power to do it. I find it really hard to quit. I also find that when i cant have a cig it gets me really really stressed and thats not good either so what am i supposed to do ?

Ladies I feel for you. I smoked a pack a day until the day after I found out I was pregnant. The next morning I promised I would quit, but wanted my last sneaky few (there were only 5 or so left in the pack). I was walking to work and a person came up to me and asked for a cigarette. I took it as a sign to quit from my mum who died only 2 months before, and I handed over the rest of the pack. Haven't smoked since, and it was actually a lot easier than I thought, although like I said, my mum was the big motivation there.

I've had loads of dreams though where I smoke and I wake up feeling so guilty! I can't say I crave cigs now, but I wouldn't mind one every now and again.

Good luck to you with this.

I do feel for you, and Im pleased wobbs has decided not to leave any nasty comments in here. There are no non smokers who can even comprehend how difficult it is to stop.
If you cant stop completely, then at least cut down. Go to your doctors and speak to them. Theyll be more than willing to help you.

You can only stop when you want to, and you sound like you do. IOts the perfect time to do it.

I stopped straight away as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Its one of the hardest things Ive ever done, but theres a reason to do it now.

I hope you manage to do it, it really is worthwhile.

xxx

Dont worry Wobbles I am not being spiteful or trying to be rude or anything Nor do i look down on someone for smoking. But I've just read on too many risks that can happen to a baby because of moms who smoke while they are pregnant... MY mom smoked through her pregnancies with all of us but she cut back quite a bit while she was pregnant. But it would be a good reason for moms to try and quit. Maybe having that living being inside will make it a bit easier? Maybe more motivational??
Didn't mean you hun or anyone who replied already by that point - just in general x

ADDICTION-It`s name suits it

Trying really hard 2 quit,I am

BUT...I go for 2-3hours without one and I feel like pulling
every single hair out of my head!!

Problem is half my family smokes(my biggest problem)

Really trying(& trying hard) but it`s soooooooo difficult

But I will eventually kick it ,just have to:headspin:

Regards:cry:

it is hard, i know thht, and i felt like i could have killed josh during it lol, but youve made the concious decsiosn to do something, like acknowledging the fsact so maybe just a bit of help from fam n friends could help maybe?

I totally sympathise with you as I'm in the same position.
I have cut down and changed the type of cigs I'm smoking but I know that's not enough.
I've set myself a date to stop, and I've decided that I'm not going to use any NRT.
It does make it twice as hard when people around you are smoking too. My OH does and I know for a fact that if he stopped too it would be a hundred times easier.
I think that everyone is different and it doesn't mean that you don't care about the life inside you, some people can stop and some people can't.

Maybe we could stop together!! JEN xx

I smoked all the way through my first pregnancy, although i wasnt a heavy smoker, i found it too hard to quit. I managed to stop second time round and i havent had one or wanted to have one since and its been about nine months now.

I know its best for your babys health but my daughter is in perfect working order, doesn suffer from any health problems or anything.

Try cutting down, you might just wake up one day and not want to smoke anymore thats what happened with me.

i smoked for 10 years before i decided to try and get pregnant, then i quit before i did.

Will power and wanting to quit is the only way. cutting down is a bit of a cop out in my book. I can never have another one. If I have one I might have the whole pack and be right back to where I was. I needed to decide to never smoke another one. NOt even one.
Alternatively my sister in law was told to have one a day whilst pregnant by her doc - teh stress of not smoking was too much for her and she was stressed out. BUt a pack a day was NOT an option.

Since being pregnant I've only craved once. I mostly find it easy as I dont drink and dont go to bars. But mostly I couldnt be selfish enough to harm baby. I am not having a go at you, but at some point even an addict must take responsability for their actions. I found it very hard to stop for me, but to do it for my baby was easier.

Each time you light imagine you're putting the cigarette into the mouth of a baby.

Really go see your doctor, you can't poison a baby like this. Get on pacthes, have counselling adn do whatever you need. There's plenty of online support groups for when you quit - google "woofmang". I found these groups helpful.

Changing cigarettes or smoking lights wont help baby!!!!!!! IT's the 400+ poisons in the ciggies that are evil. Use NRT if you have to, just dont poison the baby or yourself.
So other kids have turned out ok when the mothers have smoked...the odds are too high for me to risk it. It's like teh stories of grandmas who grew old to 97 and smoked 20 a day and half a bottle of whisky a day.....whilst that may occasionally be true there are still many people who get liver and lung failure. Dont rely on other people's stories. Make yourself proud of you.

Can I guess from your name you are 18? You need help for this - the earlier you quit the better, it's easier to quit a 3 or 4 year habit than a 10 or 20 year one.

You need to learn about your addiction - read about nicotine addiction. Did you know each cigarette makes you crave more than you did before it? It actually increases your need for nicotine? Did you know that even though you think you're enjoying each smoke, that you're only enjoying the relief of the withdrawal symptoms? Enjoying smoking is the bigest con going. It was created by the cigarette companies to make money out of you. DOnt be conned.
We dont need cigarettes. This I guarantee you. NOTHINGS BAD will happen when you quit. SO you feel shite for a week....it's a small price to pay for a lifetimeof being able to breathe and bringing a healthy baby into the world.? Your chances of miscarriage are so high right now.

Really, be harsh with yourself - this isnt about you anymore.

I dont mean to lecture, but this is a time to get serious. GOod luck to you.

Thank you all for your advice

Really helped alot!!!

Thumbs up,I`m gonna give it a go:happydance:

I was thinking maybe slow down @ first until I can
eventually quit

Today something that worked for me:
(mom wanted to kill me:hissy:)
I watched mom and every time her ciggie was half I grabbed
it ,so instead of smoking the whole cigg. I only smoked halfs today
and a little less(imagined that I was smoking the whole cigg:wacko:)
Wacko I know..

Not that big a deal but hey baby steps ,right?

Regards:baby:

Hi!!:hi:

Smoked only 12 yesterday ,know it`s still not good enough
but..

I cut down atleast

you're going to hate me.....

cutting down isnt enough. baby steps are no good. your baby is developing NOW. Quit now. you can smoke again in 9 months if you want to. Go get some patches or gum. Go make a doctors appointment now.

You'll feel so much better.
These first 3 months are really important to baby.

Its hard. But the fact that you recognise you shouldn't and you want to stop is a great start. I was lucky enough to fall pregnant after I'd given up, but its still not easy. I still want to smoke some days. i think its important to remember why you need to give up. I also remember growing up in a house where my parents smoked and I hated it.

When I gave up was the only time I didnt cut down. Tried that, it didnt work. I chucked them away and that was it. In my experience cutting down makes it harder

Its not easy hun, but do it, you know you won't regret it in the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->