Snapping...

Snowball

Resident badass
Reaction score
I feel really horrible at the moment :(

Eddie has been going through the terrible twos lately. I've had problems with him laying down in the middle of roads on the school run, fighting with Ella, not eating his dinners etc etc.

This morning he walloped me round the back with a metal pole he found in our bedroom, for no reason other than he thought it was funny. Then he smacked Ella in the face with a big plastic toy and refused to apologise. He also smacked Ozzie on the head and tried to sit on him. So he'd already been winding up to one today.

So tonight I spend ages cooking a big roast dinner. I was really hungry, like that kind of 'feeling faint' hungry you feel. So I sat them down at the table and I sat down. I had 2 mouthfuls of dinner and Eddie did what he does every dinnertime to get out of eating it, burst out crying and asking to go to the potty. So I get him down and he doesn't actually need the potty and he wants to get back up again. This went on about 3-4 times, then he was asking me to feed him (I haven't fed him for months, he's perfectly capable of doing it himself as he's nearly 3) and I lost it with him, got him down and refused to let him back up. He was screaming and I was boiling over just ignoring him. Christ knows what our new neighbours were thinking, I felt like I couldn't cope:cry:

After a while I calmed down and sat him back at the table where with bribery he sat and ate most of his dinner. Now I just feel bad for being so angry with him, I just don't know how to control him when he lashes out at everyone and sometimes he can be really dangerous :cry:

No real point to this thread, just needed to vent after a really stressful afternoon/evening.

oh sweets! I think I'd get upset with him too and I don't think anyone except blimmin' super nanny would be able to handle it perfectly. My LO isn't at this stage yet (although judging by his stubborn personality and the strength of the tantrums he pulls now, I'm gonna be bookmarking this thread for a year or so's time!) so I hope other mums can help. I dunno whether it's time to start ignoring the behaviour if it's not putting him or others in danger. The way he acted towards Ozzy is a hard one and he needs to be stopped from hurting you and his brother and sister. Anyway, as I said, hope others can be more help but didn't want to read and run :hugs:

I've done this sort of thing before. Kaya is starting to learn that if she leaves her food it gets put away. He's probably playing up because you have the baby as well and he's trying to figure this huge change out. Stick to your guns. Try putting him on the potty before eating and then refusing to put him back while you are eating. Or you could try doing it without really reacting - put the potty nearby and if he asks to go strip him from the waist down and plonk him on the floor - a lot of it sounds like attention seeking so don't give him the attention for carrying on.

oh hun, I have no advice but hope you feel a bit better today x

oh hun, my ds is 3 and a bit and is a nightmare too at the moment. wish i had some advice, but we are having same issues, he smacked corey today cause i had shouted at him, then he threw something at my head and he also wont eat tea, wont get dressed, i feel so frustrated and just dont know what to do sometimes!!! i end in tears and naughty corner does not work.

sorry no advice but you are not alone!!!! think 2 and 3 is the hardest ages. i will be watching to see if others have ideas. i have tried ignoring and turning his fave tv things off etc but nothing seems to work at the mo!.

marie x

Just thought Id say that you are not alone - I actually work in childcare, but ds still manages to push my buttons!

It was getting to the point where I just felt like shouting at him and couldnt bear the tantrum noise, so I got the travel cot out and put upstairs in his room. When he is having a tantrum and I cant get him out of it, I give him a warning to stop and then he goes up in the cot for time out.
It means I dont have to listen to the screaming, and I can finnish putting the shopping away etc.
I also use it at night when he wont lay down - often works just as a threat or he will just go in it for 2 mins and then he will stop once out.
In the day though, ds does need a cuddle and dummy to calm down afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->