So bad at taking my prenatal pill

Mabv812

Reaction score
The first 6 weeks of being pregnant I was pretty good at remembering my prenatal vitamin. Then morning sickness hit and I just didn't take them. Now that morning sickness is almost gone I haven't been taking still. I feel badly! I really should restart. To be honest, I don't think I was that great at talking them with my first pregnancy either. Eek!

It's really the folic acid that matters in the first 6 weeks or so, after that it's not quite as important. The NHS doesn't even recommend a full pregnancy multivitamin anymore as there isn't much evidence they do anything in healthy women. I do take a few separate things in addition to folic acid, like vitamin d and also iron (because I have been anaemic in the past though not anymore). But really you'll be fine if you miss them some days. I sit mine next to the kettle and on work days I put them in a little jar and put them with my lunch so I can't miss them when I get my lunch out. That's helped.

I'm horribly forgetful about mine, too. I've only missed one, but I've taken so many right before bed because I forgot to have them with tea! Thankfully they don't make me feel sick.

I've taken to keeping the box on my kitchen table, so I literally can't fail to see them when I sit down for tea. Seems to be working so far. :thumbup:

Hold on the NHS did not say that. https://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/07July...dont-help-just-take-vit-D-and-folic-acid.aspx

"Where did the story come from?

This was a report in the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin, part of the BMJ publishing group. The article on vitamin supplementation in pregnancy does not specifically state its authors, their affiliations, or any sources of funding.
This report received wide media coverage in the UK. All media stories mention the current recommendations for pregnant women, but none discuss the reliability of the study, which appears to be a non-systematic review."

What NHS said was that in WELL NOURISHED (because who really eats all their daily servings) women only need to supplement vitamin d and folic acid. But this study was not properly vetted or trustworthy. Set an alarm. Take your vitamin. I take mine right before I want out the door to go to work. It's not going to do anything major, but let me just say there is a clear developmental difference between my cousins' babies (no prenatal) and my friends' babies (prenatal). Granted lots of other variable but why chance it

I had trouble downing vitamins because of HG in my past two pregnancies. I could barely keep water down, let alone vitamins. When I took this up with my midwife she suggested that I take them right before bedtime and take a brand that doesn't have iron in it (prenatal gummies usually don't) because iron increases nausea and it isn't really needed until later trimesters since the baby's needs are so small in the beginning. The vitamins are more for you in the beginning than the baby, with the exception of DHA and folic acid, but usually the gummies have both of those already in them. I suggest also taking vitamin B6 with them, as this often helps with nausea. I took about 30 mg a day. Of course once your nausea subsides, start taking a vitamin with iron in it but it is ok to skip out on the iron in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->