So confused-Bacterial Vaginosis medication safe?

hopefor2

Reaction score
My doc did a pap at my appointment Tuesday and called yesterday to tell me that they found I had BV and wanted to know what pharmacy to call my prescription in to. I picked it up yesterday evening and did the first round last night. Afterward I started reading up on it and saw tons of things that said it's not recommended for use in the first trimester. I'm almost 9 weeks. I called the office and they were closed but spoke to another doctor that said she doesn't prescribe to her patients until 12 weeks and suggested I wait until Monday to speak to my doctor again. I've read that BV can cause miscarriage but taking the medication may not be safe. I'm sure my doctor wouldn't prescribe something harmful but I'm just nervous and confused as to whether it's best to continue or not. Anyone have any experience with BV during pregnancy? The medication is Metronidazole gel that you insert every night for 5 days. Has anyone used this during pregnancy?

Hey, funny I just saw this post and sounds like we're going through the same thing. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and they discovered I have bv through a urine culture a few weeks ago. My Dr called the prescription in for June 1st and told me to pick it up to start then, when I'm 12 weeks along. Not sure if that helps or not...

It does! Just kinda confirms the 12 week thing I've been seeing. Just confused as to why my doctor didn't mention anything about waiting. But nervous to ignore his advice. I'm just stressed!

:hugs: I'm sorry you're stressed. I think waiting until Monday might be the best thing to do, especially since the other Dr recommended doing that.

The gel treatment is not recommended in the first trimester, but you can have the same thing (Metronidazole) is tablet form, which is safe in any stage of pregnancy. So maybe ask for it to be changed to the tablets :)

Don't want to scare you but My doctor refused to prescribe me the gel at all (I have BV three times in my DD's pregnancy) as he said its uneccessary as the tablets work in a less localised way. Just his opinion, but when you can take something that doesn't directly affect your cervix he seems to think its preferable.

Mine wasn't got on top of not because of the medications (they worked every time) but because of an immune disorder I have.

I was given the tablets in the first tri however with both pregnancies and both babies are fine (second one so far :) )

Xxx

I took the Flagyl tablets in the first trimester with my son against my preference and I was terrified but everything was just fine. I agree on requesting the tablets even though they don't make me feel good, still better than risking anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->