So I think I may have GD, or something is not right. Getting concerned for my health.

bridgetboo62

expecting #1
Reaction score
I think I may have GD, or something is not right...so on october 30th i weighed 153lbs 11.2oz and today I weigh 165lbs 6oz. In 19 days I gained 12 and a half pounds. My weights so far this pregnancy at the midwife have been as follows:

June 19th (7 weeks): 121lbs 6.4oz
July 10th (10 weeks): 124lbs 1.6oz
August 14th (15 weeks): 129lbs 11.2oz
September 11th (19 weeks): 136lbs 8oz
October 9th (23 weeks): 147lbs 6.4oz
October 30th (26 weeks): 153lbs 11.2oz

and of course today 165lbs 6oz at home. My scale at home weighs exactly the same as the one at the midwife, I have weighed myself at home before and after multiple appoints and its maybe off like .5oz
beginning to get concerned for my health. hopefully going in tomorrow to do the glucose test. what do you think ladies?

other symptoms:

for the past 4-6 weeks i have been seeing white/black swirlies in my vision 1-2 times a day and it only lasts about 5-15 seconds
and i have been peeing more frequently but not drinking more frequently i have force myself to drink more than 25oz (750ml) of liquid a day (i have always been that way my whole life never drank a whole lot)
i get dizzy about 1-2 times a day where i have to lay down for about 30-45mins

my urine at my appointment on the 30th was good same with blood pressure
i have no way of checking my blood pressure at home.

The weight thing is up in the air, I have GD and I am still down a few pounds from my pre-preg weight at 31 weeks.

Do the swirls in your vision happen when you go to stand up, do you feel dizzy at the same time? Has it usually been a few hours since eating when this happens?

I don't want to get all scary and suggest pre-e, but is there a pharmacy you could get to reasonably easy to monitor your blood pressure occasionally? (Most Walmarts, Walgreens, ect have little blood pressure machines by their pharmacy windows).

Another thing it could be is dehydration. 25 ounces is very little and with being pregnant we do lose more water through excess potty trips. Is there anything you can try to get you drinking more? Teas, Juices, water flavoring drops? Even eating water heavy foods like Watermelon and such would help.

I would definitely go in for the glucose test, better to be safe, I do struggle with the dizzy spells if it's been too long since my last meal or if I've over exerted myself, but other than that it's really not sounding like GD to me (although, I'm not a doctor) I'd almost bet money that you're pretty dehydrated, and that can be dangerous, depending on the severity of your symptoms, I'd personally debate a trip to emergency to get some IV fluids.

no the spots/swirls in my vision dont happen with my dizzy spells.
yeah im thinking about going to the pharmacy tonight and checking my BP

dont think i am dehydrated. i have been dehydrated before and its nothing like this. plus i only drink as much as my body tells me to. i drink when i am thirsty

hey Bridget I posted this on our Feb thread but are your ankles or hands swelling? Your vision stuff sounds like preeclampsia. I had that in my last pregnancy and I would get dizzy spells like you describe. can you call your midwife?

with that stuff said I gained 15lbs in 21 days for no reason. I ended up being fine. Its slowed down again (without me changing anything) so I chalk it up to hormones.

You should get tested for gd between 26 and 28 weeks anyway. But the frequent urination without excess thirst is not a symptom as far as i know. It's probably just because your baby is on your bladder. Also to me it sounds more like low blood pressure. If your bp is generally low, you could get occasional drops that can lead to feeling very dizzy and even faint. As far as weight gain, the few people that i know with gd did not gain excess weight. If anything, they hadn't gained enough. Good luck.

If it helps, I do have GD and had absolutely no symptoms beforehand - they tested me due to my family history. Obviously go for the test anyway to make sure, but I would speak to your MW about your other symptoms

I also have GD but had absolutely no symptons, I passed the first glucose test at 28 weeks and then it was picked up at 34 weeks on another test as baby was showing slightly large. I'd def speak to your midwife hun so that GD and pre eclampsia can be checked for asap x

isn't that pressure higher than normal for you? You need to call your midwife.

did you call yet? could be a wonky machine but I think you should call.

In my last pregnancy I gained 2-3 pounds a week in the last 2 months. No gd or pre-e.

We definitely need more water in pregnancy. It's such a struggle as I'm so tired of going to the bathroom too often. But I read somewhere that generally you could still be dehydrated even if you don't feel thirsty. So it could still be a hydration issue.

Definitely monitor your BP...and I'm sure they check your urine at your appointments right? Mention your concerns to your ob or midwife. They could suggest the glucose test if you haven't done it yet.

Also if possible check for a uti. Sometimes utis have such odd symptoms and they're quite common in pregnancy. One of the times I had a uti I just felt very unwell but there was nothing unusual about my peeing habits. Turned out to be a severe uti...

I hope you have answers soon

well passed my glucose test and saw my midwife yesterday. blood pressure was 110/60 and urine was negative for protein so not at risk for preeclampsia yet but my mom had it with her first (she was 30) didnt have it with her two middle children and then had it with me (she was 41 when she had me) and her mom had it too with her first. plus im under 20 so i have a disposition for it. i guess my body just thinks there is some sort of famine going on and is going nuts according to my midwife. she says not to worry. baby had a strong heartbeat and is moving everyday

still the weight gain is causing me some major stress/depression
really having an impact on my mental health

I've not weighed myself once this pregnancy. As far as I'm concerned it's not worth the stress as it comes off reasonably easily.

besides if you're not drinking enough then your body will retain fluid which will cause extra weight gain.

By the looks of it you have pretty similar bp to me which is classed as low and I get dizzy spells and those squiggly lines try not to stress hun it all seems pretty normal given the circumstances x

If you only drink when your thirsty then you aren't drinking enough. Thirst is a sign of dehydration. To know if you are drinking enough your urine should be clear or nearly clear. The more color the more you are dehydrated.

I'd watch bp and blood sugar. I get low blood sugar and will get dizzy spells. I actually found I need more sugar not less.

when i try to force myself to drink more than my body tells me to i feel super bloated to the point where i cant stand up straight and its very very uncomfortable almost painful (this was true for me before i got pregnant not just when i am pregnant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->