So many QUESTIONS!!!

Ahughes

Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread, but thought it might get noticed quicker if I made a new thread! :)

This may sound like a really dumb question but I'm a first time mommy-to-be! lol. Anyways, I'm looking at car seats online and was wondering if you need to buy a matching car seat and stroller, meaning that I can just attach the car seat onto the stroller and be good to go? Or do they make universal strollers for any type of car seat? I've been thinking about this for awhile and it is stressing me out! lol. I wan't to get those car seats that are all-in-one and grow with your child, but can you attach those to a stroller for a newborn? I've been looking online at Babies R Us but it is so overwhelming! Thanks!

I think those all-in-one carseats are meant to stay in the car all the time and don't click into strollers at all. I've never seen a convertible carseat that's done that. The carseat/stroller combos are nice if you want to take a walk with a little baby but you don't need one either. I think your best bet is to go to a store and check out the display models to see what you may or may not like. I have a carseat/jogger combo and I really like it but jogging strollers are bigger and don't fold up as compact as a regular stroller does.

Edit-I forgot to add that my carseat came with a base so I installed the base in the van and I can take the carseat out of the vehicle all the time. If you have a convertible carseat, it stays in the vehicle so you can't keep baby in it if you are running into a store to do errands.

If you get something like a maxi cosi isofix/cabriofix they can go in the car or pram (if your stroller fits them) and you need the base for the car so it clips in and out easily. The ones that see them through don't fit into strollers as they are made to stay in the car and that's all.

It's a minefield isn't it? I've been reading about some of the isofix seats that fit into buggies but could not for the life of me work out what I really needed. So I'm going to go to some stores and actually see/handle/ask about some and see if that clarifies the issue any. Even though I hate shopping in the real world!

Have you looked at breast pumps and bottles yet? (shudders) It's worse than carseats. There is such a thing as too much choice.

With my newborn, I bought an infant car seat (a graco snugride) with an extra base and installed a base in my car and base in my mom's car as she would have lo one day a week. Those, imo, are the best type of car seat with a newborn bc you can put the newborn in the seat while in the house and then just click it in the base. You can also just take out the seat and bring it into stores, like Walmart or grocery store, and sit it down in the basket of the shopping cart. So easy. Those are also the types that will click into a stroller base, but yes, you usually have to get the same brand stroller. They usually come in combo sets ( a travel system).

I didn't do that bc it seemed the travel system strollers were big and bulky and I wanted a lightweight stroller. So I bought a chicco lightway for my stroller. I only use the stroller for the mall or going outside on walks bc all the other stores I shop have carts, so it was no big deal for me not to have the car seat/stroller combo.

When baby outgrows the infant seat (around a year old or so) you move on to a convertible car seat that stays in your car. ( I went with a Diono Rainer which will convert to a booster when child is older) These will not click into a stroller. Some people prefer to save money and start out with a convertible, and you can certainly do that, but I liked the convenience of being able to remove the infant seat.

Good luck. It was exhausting trying to figure out what to buy. If you can get to a babysrus, that's what I'd do and check them out. Also, figure out how/where you'd be using the stroller which will help with your decision.

I always get a travel system which is rear facing car seat that clicks into the stroller and a base for your car. I find them convenient for tending to my baby while at the mall or shopping because then they are facing you etc. Just easier. Also after the first month the car seat becomes so heavy toting it around without a stroller is just a hassle. This is just my experience. And yes I don't recommend u buy separate brands if you plan on buying the kind that kind of system but you will find tons! Costco, Walmart, babies r us etc etc all sell these things. Good luck shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->