So much to get!

LoveCakes

Reaction score
Argh! People keep asking me what I've bought and it hasn't bothered me as we still have so long to go but I was browsing on the Mothercare website and realised just how much there is to buy and decide. As a FTM the choice is overwhelming! Maybe I better get moving!

We have already started our registries as some of the stores were having promotions for starting a registry before the end of the month. I am a bit overwhelmed as well. However, I am also a planner so I don't mind working through all of this earlier rather than later. Plus it will keep my MIL off my back about it!

Don't worry-I didn't start buying until almost 30 weeks last time!
You will get it done! :flower:

We were super worried that we wouldnt have anything when the baby gets here, but it just seems to all fall into place...we got the crib and changing table in like new condition secondhand (no drop sides or anything, the crib was a spare crib hardly ever used!)...when we had our shower, my brother cleaned out his attic (he has two girls, 6 and 8) and we inherited seriously like, 12 large totes of clothes, toys, and a breast pump my sister in law never used at all, we got our joovy nook highchair secondhand for less than half the retail..and everyone that came to my shower seriously SHOWERED us, clothes and toys and stuff from the registry..and my mom and dad sprung for the stroller/carseat combo that we fell in love with...

I think the only things we have left are some changing pad covers and liners, a baby bath support seat (love the angelcare one) and a few little things like hangers/shampoo/safety stuff...but we have the essentials, a place for baby to sleep, clothes, and diapers (cloth, secondhand of course, but fantastic shape!) oh, and food for baby, which, fingers crossed, will be boobfood :haha:

I don't start buying until at least 30 weeks as there's no need to have the stuff taking up space when it's not needed yet.

Sites like Mothercare scare you. You honestly don't need everything they say. I've bought less with each baby and am left to the basics. I don't buy stuff just because shops say you need it. I don't even buy a cot until baby is 6 months because they are in moses basket then crib before the cot.

My advice to you would be not to let yourself be told that you'll need this and that and the other...
Just get the basics and if you need more, you can always get it after the baby is born and as you need it. There are so many things which we get that just are left untouched or only used a couple of times.
Don't worry too much about the beginning, a little baby doesn't need much to start with.

Seriously really dont need half stuff you see on these websites :) x

I know what you mean about the websites being a bit overwhelming. We are getting the basics first and the other stuff can wait.

Lovely MIL is desperate for us to buy the interiors for the nursery but as baby will be in basket in our room for the first 4-6 months it's not a priority.

This is our list at present:
Travel system
Moses basket
Vests, baby grows, mittens and hats
Blankets, Muslin cloths
Breast feeding pump and bottles
Nappies, wipes etc

Thanks everyone, I think a list is a good idea it helps me think!

Off shopping next weekend so I'll do my research before then :)

I keep seeing "vest" and "baby grows" in some b&b ladies' lists. What is meant by that? Is a baby grow like a onesie/body suit?

I still have tons to get too. I think the best way is to start buying little items gradually. That's what we have been doing anyways!

Whatever you do... don't buy loads of new cute outfits for the newborn. You'll realise soon enough that it's not worth the hassle of getting the baby all dressed up and then watch them throw up on their clothes.

I'd say the same for nappies too as you will never know if they will suit your baby.

Whatever you do... don't buy loads of new cute outfits for the newborn. You'll realise soon enough that it's not worth the hassle of getting the baby all dressed up and then watch them throw up on their clothes. .

i agree, and also, people will probably buy you clothing or hand down what they might not need anymore...my nieces had 12 or so totes (like 35 gallon totes!) of clothes ranging from 0-3 all the way to size 7 and 8 that have barely even been worn that our little girl is inheriting, plus lots of clothing that we were given at our shower and by relatives! she is set, seriously for the next 3 years i think! :wacko:

Half the stuff on the website you will find that you don't need, honestly.

I would say you need :
- somewhere for them to sleep (cot/cotbed/Moses/crib)
- fitted sheets (I never bothered with bumpers personally)
- clothes (don't go wild on newborn)
- feeding equipment. If that's bottle feeding steriliser, bottles etc. if that's breast, pump, breast pads etc.
-dummies if you're using them
-nappies and wipes
- a car seat
- transport (pram/wrap/stroller)

Anything else is a bonus but those are the essentials to survive at first really :haha:

Thanks everyone, were going to start looking at prams at the weekend to get going and I need hubby to clear out the spare room as it is full of junk!

I only plan on getting plain clothes as I imagine people will give us clothes as gifts but I may get tempted...

I agree with another poster. Don't feel like you need to buy EVERYTHING for the birth. I was getting really anxious about getting a crib and setting it up and we didn't put her in it for months! Someone also made me register for a high chair which I used for a bit until I found one that was much more functional so now it goes unused.

Hey,

I feel exactly the same, feel we have to much to buy/sort and don't know when to start with what ect!

Crazy!

We have written a list of exactly what we will need and how much roughly we will budget for each item.
(even writing the list was fun!)

Now we just need to sort out a house to put it all in... lol!!

xx

So we had a look at prams and ended up buying a steriliser and a cute outfit. I couldn't resist lol.

Hubby says he will clear out the nursery of all the junk and boxes when he is off over Easter so I think that will be the turning point when I can think of organising!

After two full weekends of testing out different strollers (prams? lol), car seats and playpens, we have narrowed down our top choices. But we must have spent 3 hours in just ONE store playing with strollers. lol

Once you get going, it gets easier. Just make a list of items you need, maybe google some and see what people love/hate about them, then set out on your adventure to try some out. That's what we did.

For me, one of the main things (besides safety) that I looked for in the stroller and car seat was weight. I found a car seat that we LOVE and it weighs 9lbs. Not bad. But keep in mind you'll be adding a new born in there (and soon an older baby) and that thing gets heavy. So I wanted to make sure I could lift it with ease. We went with the Chicco Keyfit 30.

Same for the stroller. If I'm by myself, I'll have to lift that darn thing into my own car. lol We ended up going to a mid-weight stroller of 25lbs (Bob Revolution SE).

Just play with them. Break them down like you're going to fold it up and put it in your car. Test if you like the way it handles, etc. Same for the car seat - feel the fabric, the plastic, ease of taking the cover off to wash it. Just examine each piece to make sure its easy for you, and suits your needs. :)

I keep seeing "vest" and "baby grows" in some b&b ladies' lists. What is meant by that? Is a baby grow like a onesie/body suit?

this is a vest
https://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-My-First-Unisex-Bodysuits-–-7-Pack/LX0108,default,pd.html

this is a baby grow
https://www.joules.com/Baby/All-Bab...ow/Light-Pink-Pony?id=Q_BABYRAZAMATAZ|LPKPONY

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->